Stripped threads -- where to drain from?

Discussion in '7602 Racing' started by JHNguyen89, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JHNguyen89 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Had an issue where the my OEM drain bolt was stripped and also stripped the threads on the case. I got a mechanic to remove the old bolt and use thread chaser and a tap to clean up the threads on the engine case. However, he mentioned to put a new bolt in and drain from the oil screen window in the future.

I notice 7602 makes an oil drain bolt for KTMs on the oil screen window as well as for Huskys (which I will be picking up). Is this a popular way to drain the oil? Are their any advantages to draining from the oil screen window?

I would imagine it'd be more difficult to drain the oil completely without tipping the bike over to it's side to get the oil from the bottom of the case.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    Now, I am not saying you should do this but when i was much younger I broke the case at the drain hole of my Honda CR125. Having no money and little more sense I took the bolt and drilled it out to put a smaller screw in it. Then I mixed up some JB weld and glued the broken piece and bolt back onto the case. Never failed on me but I don't know if i would do it that way again.
  3. JHNguyen89 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been reading up on quite a few people doing that but I don't think I'm ready to get the JB weld out yet.

I'm just curious if there's anyone that drains from the oil screen, or the drain from the other side of the case as shown here. And if you do, what are the advantages of draining from there?

Otherwise, I figure I can helicoil/timesert the threads that are stripped on the bottom drain bolt. But, if there's another recommended way to drain, I would definitely go that way.

My drain bolt had been tapped, but I'm afraid after constant oil draining from there, they'd get stripped out easily.
  4. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Many husky riders only drain oil from the 2 screen holes on the left hand side of the engine, myself included. Actually drains more oil out of those 2 holes with the bike on the kickstand than out the bottom hole. only remove the bottom plug every few rides to check the magnet for anything unusual.
  5. JHNguyen89 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Colo Moto
    That's definitely good to know.

Thanks man!