Street riding guys be careful out there.

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Apr 29, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Big Harley (kinda scary looking but very nice I'm told) guy who works in the building across the alley from our office. I never met him but always saw him and his 100inch dresser in the moto parking spot area next to our stairs.
    Well this week I did not see him at all, hmm I thought he must be on vacation, because he is always right there......nope he's dead.
    A car pulled out from a parking lot and "never saw him" he avoided that car but went into incoming traffic and met a pickup truck, he made it as far as the hospital then flatlined.
    Not his fault....but on the street bikes always come up the loser......always.
    Be safe out there guys don't ever take for granted that cars see you even if they look right at you.
    lankydoug likes this.
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I trust no one. Folks just blindly fly through intersection here. Between the old folks, the college students, the tourists and yesterday, the drunken, eating, texting, slab leak truck driver, almost rear ended me after he already crossed a lane.... :naughty:

And bicycle riding is affected too... I just don't get using your vehicle as a weapon. Striped bike lane and 3 foot law, parked cars, etc...There is no reason for it, but it's rampant...

http://laist.com/2016/04/28/justice_delivered_almost.php

View: https://youtu.be/ln1MyKG2a_0
  3. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Bummer... that's exactly the reason I gave up street bikes years ago. I have an Aprilia SXV supermoto and a Triumph Bonneville sitting in my garage as dust collectors. The only street riding I do now is organized dual sport rides to connect the trails.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    wow, i guess theres one good thing to living here..
    still have to be on alert and heads up..but usually ok here if you keep your head on a swivel. i really hope the guy that ran the biker off the road paid a price..
  5. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    That's why I stopped years ago.... the entitled generation don't give a crap and anything that happens is someone else fault.... and don't get in their way going to the "feel the Berne" rally
    Huskynoobee and Big Timmy like this.
  6. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I don't know what the answer is. I drive for a living. A Freightliner, in a major metro area, for 50 hours a week.

I used to ride road bicycles A LOT before taking this job. After seeing what most people are doing while they drive, I've since sold all of my road bicycles. No thanks. I T-boned a lady in an suv a while back. She didn't even slow down for a stop sign. I could see her phone leaving her hand (and flying forward into the windshield) as we made contact. The cops don't seem to care. Nobody is held accountable.

I also see cyclists who intentionally disrupt the traffic flow. That is equally dumb.

When riding street motorcycle - I am the one in charge. You can NEVER let your guard down! Even at that, it is just a matter of time...
    Ken Hynes and Big Timmy like this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

In 1979 I had a Honda XL 500 Dual sport that I would ride to work. One day as I was going down the street with a CHP car behind me . A lady turn left right in front of me . Bam i hit her r ft fender. Knocked me out, messed me up and since that day I do not ride on the stree.t I did put that motor in a Horse Power Factory C&J Frame with Fox Shocks and Forks No one rode 4 strokes back then but this bike was so fast and handled so well it won a lot of races .Even won the 4 stroke nationals am class at Carlsbad. I do have a Husky TE 300 Dual Sport and do not ride it on street but it does have a plate. Owning a wrecking yard full of cars that people made a mistake in makes you really carful driver
    robertaccio and Big Timmy like this.
  8. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Rob sad story. It's a risk we take for some enjoyment, I love road riding but for leisure I head WEST away from the city, the people, the cars, trucks and general idiots. Then if I come off over shooting a corner or locking up its just my fault, but to date knowing I am responsible for my safety I have been lucky, fingers crossed.

John, that guy really really is a an asshole. He's the sort of guy that stops cohesion in society not just as an on the road wanker. "My opinion is correct, if you don't like it get out of my way. Me me me.". What a F**ktard
  9. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    IMHO it's not just a matter of staying sharp; it's also a matter of helping drivers to respect us.
    I suggest that riders try to envise theirselves in the shoes of drivers, pedestrians, other riders, etc..
    If, for instance, there are many cars queuing sowly, don't overtake them very fast: give them the time to realize that you are about to pass by.
    Don't think that, just because your vehicle is narrow, you have the right to suddenly pass through any tiny space between cars, in a traffic jam.
    And so forth.
    But, above all, if you like to go fast (who doesn't?), remember to keep your pace proportional to the safety of each situation. Do you have a supermoto, for example? Do you want to lean in that corner? Ok, then, what's beyond it? What's aside it, in case you lose control and end up out of the road? Is someone coming from the opposite direction? And so on... .
    Anyhow, I agree about the fact that road riding is dangerous and that sometimes, even if a rider has done everything he/she could to be safe, that person will be injured or killed because of undisciplined drivers.
    rwgregory and duggoey like this.
  10. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I agree with Theo.... When we went to my home area of Escondido on Vacation... there were bikes and full dressers flying thru traffic drove me nuts.... half the time over double my speed... Ok LA has a ton of tourists(including me) and people flying by me some even startling me and I look for bikes.... The bad part is you can do Everything right but even a small mistake by any vehicle you lose even if your in the right.... any contact is going to suck for you and really not effect the car much.... watched a car pull out of a shopping center in San Bernardino right in front of me and my buddy barely had time to react and hit the driver in the door at 40 mph killing him and driver was yelling at kids in the back seat....

Risk Reward.... is the rish worth the reward.... in the dirt its up to me on the pavement I counting on betty the soccer mom who is doing her makeup, drinking a Starbucks, while talking to her BFF on the phone and yelling at her rugrats in the back of the van..... I'll pass
    juicypips likes this.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    absolutely theo...of course people in cars can be very dangerous, but often the street bikers worst enemy is himself. i see riders do horrible stuff. i always do what you say, envision myself as the driver. make yourself visible..and watch out for left turn louie!! (well, i guess in europe its right turn ricardo? lol)
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I sold my Super Tenere last fall and gave up on street riding after seeing a huge increase of distracted drivers. Sticking to street legal dirt bikes for a while or until our society realizes the destructive path we are on(not holding my breath). We either need society to realize that we must completely stop using cell phones or personal communication devices in moving vehicles or the problem will continue to worsen. Pretty sad we consider off road motorcycling a safer sport than riding on pavement, but IMHO, it is hands down. A torn ACL, broken rib or clavicle will heal but hitting a pickup truck head on while avoiding someone pulling into your lane is incurable. My 2 cents worth. God speed to Rob's co worker:(
    letitsnow likes this.
  13. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Poor kids: they lost their father and saw his death...
    And I also feel sympathy for your buddy, because, even if he didn't mean to do that at all, he killed a person in front of his children. I guess that he's thought things like "what if I swerved?" "why didn't I brake harder?". It must've been tough for him, too.
    Was he injured?

I live in Italy and here we haven't named that guy who's going to turn ahah, but I think that I've got the concept. Here we drive and ride in the right lane, so it should be something like "left turn Riccardo" :D
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    its kind of a joke we have about the guy who turns in front of opposing traffic...you know the feeling, you are cruising along and you see someone in the opposing traffic sitting there with their turn signal on..."does this person see me?" "is he going to turn in front of me?"...
    so being in italy, this traffic offender should be known to you as "right turn riccardo"...
    these guys are tough to defend against, as they move quickly from a set position..
  15. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I hadn't got the joke because another possible dangerous situation occured to me, when I read "left turn Louie/Riccardo": you're fast and you find a car in front of you. You immediately decide to overake it, without slowing down, so you're too fast to notice that its left turning signal is on and that it's slowing down to turn. Just when you are aside it, it turns and hits you.
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    certainly another scenario to be mindful of
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    First, that is a bummer Robert and thanks for the reminder. Here in LALA Land we have at least 2 and as many as 6+ motorcycle crashes in the morning commute and that's just the freeways.

I don't ride in rush hour traffic, as stated too many distracted douche bags and baguettes for me. I've done it, but don't like it much. I am invisible at all times as far as I'm concerned and try to use my powers of stupidity prediction to keep me out of a jam. Most of the time it works and I wish I could pick lottery numbers like I can peg a dumbass ready to make their big break. But I've also been squeezed splitting lanes in really slow traffic by DB masters who intentionally try to cut off the hole because you're getting ahead of them.

My honey got cut off by a probable drunken undocumented immigrant who then slammed on his brakes for no good reason at all. Luckily she was going slow and had a slow mo high side, and the bike was fixed workout too much damage.

So yep, street riding to work is like grabbing a tiger by the tail, but there's no better way to see the beauty than on two wheels on a road trip or weekend ride through the twisties.
    duggoey likes this.
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I need to add.....a lot of the bike riders I watch riding are statistics waiting to happen.....it aint all cagers doing the stupid......

the worst things I cringe at are splitting lanes fast in merging traffic zones..........dumb.
    splitting lanes when traffic is already doing freaking 50....them splitting at 75......dumb

fact stated above bike riders right or wrong you lose...everytime if you get physically/mechanically involved with the fourwheel enclosed transports.
    Theo likes this.
  19. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    This is why I sold my beloved 950 sm. Miss the hell out of it. But I discovered theres a whole other side to me.almost getting run into concrete walls or near misses by clueless distracted drivers made me go completely homocidal . At least two three times I wanted started following people. I was ready to kill. Then one day had an epiphany. This NEVER happens to me in riding 20 years of offroad. So back to offroad I went and prefer to stay. Still miss riding street but won't do it u less I move to a mountain town after retirement.
    Flynn likes this.
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If they can't see a 300lb guy in 4XXXXL bright colored shirts coming then they need my size 12 you know where.

The biggest problem I see at night is when a rocket does wheelies the headline is in the air. They need lights on the lower fairing.