1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Steering head bearing adjustment ring nut

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Chris Rowan, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Chris Rowan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 430 WR
    I replaced the steering head bearings on my 2006 TC 450.

My problem is that I cannot get the steering head bearing adjustment ring nut tight enough to prevent the steering from clunking when the front wheel hits a low obstacle. I have spanner wrenches (not the correct size, of course), and I have made a special tool from a two inch diameter piece of pipe with 4 protrusions to grab all four slots at once with the handlebars off, but with two people I cannot get the nut tight enough. I can understand a bit of retightening should be required as the new grease gets pushed through the bearings but this is ridiculous! I can feel the steering getting tighter, but it's just not enough. I am ordering a new adjustment nut (as mine has now taken a bit of a beating) and the correct size spanners to try this from scratch again. Anyone else had troubles like this? Anyone know why I'm having such difficulties?

Thanks
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I jus use a hammer n punch. Shouldn't be too tite or you'll damage the bearings n steering be notchy
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Are you sure you have the right bearings ?
  4. Andy clark Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1997 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki gsxr1000 k6 honda c90
    If you can adjust the nut up tight and there's still play in the bearings then the bearings are fooked and it's time for new ones
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    it almost sounds like you've lost a set of balls somehow. something is wrong- that's for sure.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Didn't leave the retainer ring thingamajig(bit that the bearings sit in in the headstem) out did ya?
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Steering nut should not be that tight. Maybe the thunk is in the initial stroke of the forks. As stated above check your steering stem bearings. Another thought , have you checked your wheel bearings for play.
  8. Chris Rowan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 430 WR
    Thanks for the comments...
    The upper and lower bearings and cups on the steering stem were both replaced.
    I recently replaced the front wheel bearings so they are good.
    Bearing kit I ordered from the shop and they looked the same as the ones that came out, they should be fine.
    I replaced the front fork seals at the same time as I replaced the steering bearings but I don't think it's from the fork. The clunk is only felt when hitting a low object, not at some particular compression of the forks.
    Last time I tightened the nut the clunk went away momentary for a few bumps but then comes back.
    Weird. Probably I will just keep trying to tighten it and ultimately ride it until something breaks, I guess. Pretty annoying though.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Hold it... you did wheel bearings and fork seals also?? why do you think it's your stem bearings?

put the bike on a stand. yard on the front end: to & fro, up & down, side-to-side, and then rotate it (there should be no play and a smooth rotation- if it passes this test, your triple clamps/stem/bearings/handlebar mounts are probably good. maybe). what you're describing is weird.

wait- ....what?? no, dude- do not do that. something is wrong; figure it out.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ok I think you may have got rid of the washer that sits under the bearing on the steering stem. I forgot to install it below the bearing on the stem one time and the headset would not tighten up no matter what I did. I wonder if it was stuck to the bottom of the old bearing ? This washer will make all the difference even though it does not seem like it would.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.