1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Starting problems 250 te

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Kameli, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Kameli Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 250 (300 Athena)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1992 Honda CR
    since recently my bikes been getting real hard to start, i have swapped spark plugs and tried adjusting the fuel screw without much results. sometimes when I press the starter it will fire up almost immedeatly but at times it almost fires up but doesn't and when that happens it's really hard to get it started again sometimes I have to push start it after that happens and other times it will start when i kick it 20 times. sounds to me like it's running richer than it's supposed to but i cant notice any difference by adjusting the fuel screw nor if i use choke or hot start, any tips? and by the way it has an Athena 300cc kit
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    look for an air leak (cracked or loose manifold maybe)
    check the pilot/idle circuit (fuel needle in the right position, nothing gummed up, choke or enrichener ok)
    check or adjust your valve clearance.
    spark plug bad or cap loose or broken.
    check the kill button for an intermittent fault
    check the bottom of the carb bowl for contaminants
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Check your valve clearance.
    R_Little likes this.
  4. Kameli Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 250 (300 Athena)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1992 Honda CR
    Checked valves and one of the intake valve had under 0.05mm clearance, that is too tight I guess I have never adjusted the valves myself so I guess ill have to take it to a shop and get that fixed
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That year TE250 had valve problems not unlike the early CRF250 Hondas
  6. Kameli Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 250 (300 Athena)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1992 Honda CR
    The bike frame is 2003 engine is from 2005 tho
  7. Kameli Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 250 (300 Athena)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1992 Honda CR
    Alright so I had the bike to a shop and he said he had to adjust one of the valves 0.5mm, he told me if it had changed that much it would indicate in a bigger problem in the top end, now I need to decide if I Should have him investigate the top end but its gonna be expensive hours.. anyone know what could cause it and if I should be worried??
  8. Kameli Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 250 (300 Athena)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1992 Honda CR

anyone know..?
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    yeah, 0.5mm (0.020" for my fellow 'mericans) is a pretty big adjustment and probably indicates something is going on. If you don't have the money right now- ride it. But you're going to be paying pretty soon. I'd guess 500euro if it was repaired here (minimum) and 1200euro as the soft upper limit.

If you ride it and something major happens (drop a valve, piston impact, bent connecting rod, busted case, whatever worst-case scenario you can think of) those numbers are doubled.

good luck.
  10. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 - SMS 125 - TE 250 - TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    Man I share what you feel . We went for a ride yesterday, halted down the hill, and both the 450 and the 250 wouldn't restart hot , while the buddy's suzuki would restart first kick pull. It took us so much energy that we decided to go back home, I have never seen that before. Maybe I am a little dumb but in the owner's manual, I can't understand a word of the complicated shit one has to do to start hot. Dude, unless you are a professional wrestler, no chance to start when hot :(
  11. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    I have a 2006 TE250 and never had a problem ... yet. But what you say above got me worried ?!

Is it possible that it won't start because it's flooded? Did you close the gas petcock to see if that would make a difference?

Mine has a red button on the carb to pull out for hot start ... but I never used it, and I read here that "it's not necessary" on the TE250.
  12. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    Well actually, we went out yesterday and did religiously what the manual said for hot start:

-pull out the red choke
    - look for the tdc
    - press the hand lever and kick pass the tdc about an inch
    - let the kick go up
    - PULL THE CLUTCH LEVER
    - kick start

fired straight away, I am pretty sure the clutch thing helped there

same for the 450 :)

[IMG]
    Herb likes this.
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The early TE250's had bad TI valves that stretched like the early CRF250s.

The fix is stainless valves.

If it wont start normally, do not continue to try top start the bike by towing it with a truck or pump starting down a big hill.

Get the valves replaced or risk blowing up your motor.
  14. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    I rode my 2006 TE250 a bit yesterday ... and did a few hot starts :-) This is in California 70-80 degree weather.

Mine starts right up (electric start), instantly, every time, without that red button ever pulled out !

I would think though that if you do not PULL THE CLUTCH LEVER it will never start, hot or cold, electric starter motor or kickstart....
  15. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    I may be wrong but I don't think there is some sort of safety device related to the clutch; however I will pull the clutch lever now as it works better; the TE 250 used to start well with the elec but the free wheel was broken so we have to use only the kick now.