1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Stall, then less compression 86 400XC

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Quimo, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Triumph Bonneville 650, 13 YZ450F
    I just picked at it with my fingernail, but it does look like it gouged into the cylinder at the bottom of the mark and then smeared piston on the wall on its way up.
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the most important part is where the ring travels
  3. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
  4. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Looks like it was a very long downhill with throttle closed, no fuel, no lube.
  5. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike is finally back together and running again (84 on the cylinder). Initially got it to start on the second kick post-rebuild but had to shut her down fast due to a newborn in the house and no muffler installed. When I put everything on (radiator, silencer, etc…) she just wouldn’t start by kicking even though I appeared to be getting spark and fuel. After trying to bump start on the nearby hill (not very long or steep), I opted to have my wife pull me through the neighborhood to get her going. The bike reluctantly fired up but initially blew copious amounts of oil out the exhaust. It doesn’t look like the blueish 2 stroke oil I use and was wondering if I might have some seepage on the bottom end (it also didn’t look like the Torco I use, more of a gray/light black color). I did a leak down test after rebuild and that was all clear. It runs cleaner now and the oil isn’t blasting out the backend now, but still will only bump start. Have new reeds I can install but wondering if I am missing anything.

My front brake line spring a leak and I have a spare that is supposedly OEM but it seems like something is missing (see below). Anybody know what the missing fitting is called?

Attached Files:

6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

consider your jetting for a starting issue, you can go back through all the silly threads on how to start a big bore 2 smoke, the pilot jet is VERY important for starting these
    what is your altitude what is your temperature, etc. if you plan to kick a large cylinder to life with your foot, it needs to be close
    if you saw the heavy smoke then dissipated, it is possible it was a bunch of goo in the pipe and now that you got it hot it was a smoky mess
  7. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Went with the factory recommended jetting (surprisingly the previous carb had all the wrong jetting and started like a champ…, although it did have a bog when you first opened the throttle). I am at somewhere between 0-300 ft and temp is ranging from mid 60’s to 70’s F here these days.

Attached Files:

8. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Put on the air filter today and it fired right up on the first kick…Still running rough and won’t hold idle for very long, but that will hopefully work itself out with some adjustment.

Any advice on what a “factory” idle setting was on these (in RPMs)? I have the throttle screw out 2.5.