1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Spokes n rims?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 7, 2017.

1. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    If you can tell us what wheels you have I can get offsets for several wheels for you. I have the 82 and earlier front hub(160mm CR & WR). a 17" 77/78 WR rear wheel, 82 rear WR, 82 18" rear CR, & 83 Front CR/WR.
  2. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

That'd be awesome! I have a '76 WR/XC 250. Front wheel is 22" and rear is 19" (outer diameter). Both wheels have conical hubs.

Thanks!!!
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have never heard of a 22 inch front rim. With the standard 21" rim the outer tire diameter would be around 25". I would not be surprised if someone laced a 19 " rim on the rear to have a better selection of modern tire. I will get the offset of the distance from the surface to the side of the rim. I will also supply the rim widths because you will need to adjust the offset if you have a narrower or wider rim than what I supply measurement for.
  4. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I'm in the garage now and after I read your post I measured the front rim again. It's a 22" OD Akront. ID is about 21.75". I got the spokes in. The hub is fairly close that centered at the moment, but still have some spokes protruding or flush with top of nipple while not tight. The spokes measure a mm or so larger than what I find for length. Not sure if it's not evenly tensioned or if spokes are too long. This is the Frankenstein bike of bikes from what I've found so far.
  5. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    I think you'll find that there no 22 inch rims, for front dirt bike rims they have come in 19", 21" or Honda with their 23". There are no tyres made in 22" either. Does the rim have a size stamped into it, almost every rim I've seen does. I'd wager you have a 21" on your bike.
    Tony.
  6. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Interesting. The only thing I see stamped on it is ME 6273.
  7. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Measure to the inside flat and you should end up with 21 /18.
  8. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Finally got a chance to measure to the flats and it's 21". Flats take out 1/2" each.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    minor point: Honda also did a 20" front rim too. Not vintage, tho about 15 years ago.
  10. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    There's one I've never heard of, we never stop learning!
    Which bikes were they fitted to?
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    ummm, it was like the Honda CR125s, 250s... I don't know if they offered it on the CRFs. Seems like it was about the time Ernesto Fonseca was riding for them. Maybe 2000-2004, it was offered as an option. I doubt more than than 20% of the bikes came with 'em.

The tire sidewalls were tall, so the wheels had the same profile as 21 inchers.

Ernie broke his back during practice IIRC, and a great career was cut short. He is a fantastic guy. hey, found a vid-
    http://motocross.transworld.net/videos/catching-ernesto-fonseca/#uPkrjoClXiyP7brS.97
  12. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    So did BSA mid 60s
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  13. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

jimspac (or anyone) - is there a chance you could get the offsets for the 21" and 18" wheels? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mark
  14. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Waiting for my order to get processed at Buchanan 's I have 4 sets ordered , but want it to get to back room and they can
    check history/log file I have. And I will call them on offset. Now I have wood block cut now to size as I spoke, I am holding back that measurement
    and want to varify. These are all 80s.

But do you know if you done your spoking correctly you should have the right offset.

Was lucky enough to spend time to listen to little talk at Barber vintage fest by Kennie Buchanan. Took both his seminars this last fall and
    also grabbed him for a least another 15 min too. Great info. Great feedback.

By the way. Spoking is an easy fix. You are not machining anything or removing metal or anything all you are doing in putting a puzzle together and all you have to do is loosen and tighten or worst turn rim around to the right side and start over again.

Please note and be very aware your old rims are going not to be square , or totally straight , and bent a bit. This all has to be taken in account
    when re spoking old rims.
    ajcmbrown and fotosaurus like this.
  15. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    GaryM hit the nail on the head. The offset is going to be very close if you have the spokes in correctly. Using old rims is kind of "close counts" as in my experience with lacing used rims (many wheels) you will have flat spots and or side dings in the rims. Take your time and don't get frustrated. Patience really helps.
    fotosaurus likes this.
  16. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

GaryM/Chayzed Pilot - this really makes a lot of sense. I don't even really see where there is a whole lot of adjustment for offset anyway. Maybe a little, but not a lot. Seems like the angle of the spoke holes should at least get the offset in the ballpark if not dead on. Basically what GaryM said about the offset being right if spiking is done correctly.