1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Speedo drive questions

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Houredout401, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    This is on late 70's WR, but I am using an '83 front wheel. Per the part numbers, the drives are the same, but wanted to give full disclosure.

1. Question on the speedo drive - The one I sourced has a hole in the center, just the width of the axle, that appears to get sandwiched between the axle spacer and right axle shoulder. Is this correct, or should the axle spacer pass all the way through the speedo drive? I'm not talking about the disc with pins in it that is pressed in the wheel, I'm talking the drive unit that the cable goes into.

2. I believe these drives had felt material between the drive and the disc with the pins on it. Any idea of the dimensions? I'm thinking it should be a hair bigger than the diameter of the disc with pins on it, with a hole in the middle a hair smaller than the axle?
  2. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  3. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Visiteur, are you saying the felt should be the size of that disc? I understand how the pin disc works, its the drive unit that attaches to the cable that I had a question on- I want to make sure the drive unit part should be sandwiched between the spacers and axle as it mates up with that disc.
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics

You will need to pull off that larger diameter outer spacer and behind it is a smaller diameter spacer sleeve that is used with the speedo drive. The speedo drive is sandwiched between that spacer spacer sleeve and the axle shoulder. That larger diameter spacer is not used when installing the speedo. You will also need the drive pins. looks like at least one is missing.
    No felt material is used. I will see if I can get a couple of pictures of the spacers.

Marty
  5. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    IMG_3379 (2).JPG Here is a picture of what the hub looks like after you pull off the outer larger diameter spacer. (Large spacer placed next to the smaller inner spacer in the picture to show the difference) Now you can place the speedo drive in place of where that lager outer spacer was.
  6. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gotcha, thanks. I do have the pins, that was Visiteurs photo.