Some questions regarding the Italien/BMW era...

Discussion in 'History' started by Calle, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Calle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR430-87
    I'm familiar with the Swedish era (well, I am from Sweden!) and also the new KTM time but it's harder to get information about say 1990-2013 time.
    As far as I understand all Huskys were made in Italy even after 2007 when BMW bought them?
    I have a 650 Terra 2013 and lot's of it's parts is BMW as you know, the engine for example, but it is said to be built and designed in Italy, and the motor is also said to have been "modified by the italien engineers".
    What about the earlier models, like TE630 2011? It have a different motor, is that also a BMW motor, or Cagiva? Or "genuine" Husqvarna?

And pre-BMW, like a Husky TE 510 2005 for example, is this built by unique Husky parts or is it a rebranded Cagiva (like Husky-KTM of today)?

And final, when, and why did (italien) Husky change color from blue-yellow to red-white?

BR
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The pre BMW smaller TE engines were Italian MV Agusta built.
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    1986- Cagiva buys Husqvarna Motorcycle Division from Electrolux.
    1988- Husqvarna production moves to Italy.
    2007- BMW buys Husqvarna Motorcycle Division from Cagiva/MVAgusta.
    2013- Stephen Pierer/KTM buys Husqvavarna Motorcycle Division from BMW.
    2013- Hussgvarna production moves to Austria.

Nuda 900, 449, 511 and 650 are all based on BMW engine designs, that were modified by Husqvarna engineers. You need only to look at their BMW counterparts, to see this.

630 has a Cagiva engine and its last link to Swedish Huskys, is its single down tube frame, that was from the first Swedish single shock bikes. The 610 DS used this frame and single cam top end descended from the Swedish 4T.

510 was a totally Italian designed bike.

Husky started switching back to the red and white, with the Centennial Model 4T bike, then MX and finally enduro bikes. This was a throwback to Swedish red and white bikes, of the '60's and '70's.
    justintendo, steadydirt and 268fords like this.
  5. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I thought Husky went to red/white in 2007, since the only 2006 models I've seen that are red/white have had the blue/yellow plastics replaced with 2007+ plastics.

The X-Lite engine was not BMW designed. It was not really Italian designed, either. It was designed by a Japanese engineer contracted by Husky. It has no lineage to BMW or MV Agusta designs. Between the 250 and 310 versions of the X-Lite, they won three World Enduro Championships. So, when KTM bought Husqvarna, it makes perfect sense that they threw these race winning bikes into the trash bin. That way, KTM designs could win more often and not be embarrassed with people saying (well, they BOUGHT that design, it beats their own stuff).

Your 650 shares the vast majority of its parts with the BMW 650 X (challenge? country? I forget which version). The trick might be cross referencing husky->bmw part numbers if you want to source parts from BMW. Which might be desirable if KTM has them on backorder. More common parts should be readily available. I just ordered some hoses for a 2003 TE610 and they were on backorder for only a week. Last year I ordered a carbon fiber heat shield from the special parts catalog for my 2011 TE310 and it took over 2 months to get it. YMWV (your mileage will vary).

Your 650 is a good, solid bike. Enjoy the ride!
    steadydirt likes this.
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    2006 MX models were red and white, Enduro models were still blue and yellow. 2007 all bikes are red and white. The Limited Edition Centennial 2004 TE510 was the first red and white. This was not the standard 2004 TE510 yellow and blue, with the 100 year graphics. This was a high dollar bike, with polished aluminum tank and all carbon fiber bodywork.

[IMG]

Standard 2004 TE510
    [IMG]
    justintendo, Xcuvator and 268fords like this.
  7. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Somehow ktm has been able to erase all Italian Husqvarna history since taking over. Just my opinion on that.

I think they don't want to hurt there sales by showing people how sexy Husqvarna's really were! Nothing sexy about a pumpkin!
    :) image.jpg
    steadydirt, Muchmore and Dirtdame like this.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    They're kinda red and black this year, slowly moving back to the right color...

[IMG]

[IMG]
    268fords likes this.