SMS 630 won't start

Discussion in '610/630' started by gobertech, Sep 7, 2016.

1. gobertech Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    The bike was running the other day and stalled when going up a hill just by the house. Initially thought I completely ran out of fuel only to find that the starter wasn't engaging. I pulled the ignition crankcase cover off and noticed the flywheel nut was backing out and the flywheel ring gear wasn't meshing with the starting system. Tightened that again and now the bike just refuses to start. Turns over and seems to fuel but it seems to make no spark. Also the battery is completely dead and I have been using a small jump starter battery to start the bike each time for quite a while, maybe I fried the ignition coil?
    • 2011 SMS 630
    • Power Commander with Autotune
    • Looks like no spark
    I pulled the coil, primary winding resistance is in spec, but I get an open line when I try to get a secondary winding resistance as pictured (see attached) from the manual. I get correct reading if I measure from the spark plug connector to the the coil connector instead of the terminals. Is this a sign of a spent ignition coil?
    manual.jpg
  2. gobertech Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    CPS shows correct resistance from connector under the gas tank
  3. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    That picture is wrong. You have to measure it between the spark plug cable and one of the pirmary terminals.
    gobertech likes this.
  4. gobertech Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    Thanks for the info! Though it appears that the ignition coil should still be working based on what you just said. I just popped in a new spark plug today and I am still getting no spark.
  5. gobertech Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    I pulled the rotor off and it looks like I sheared the woodruff key holding it to the crankshaft; I am assuming no spark due to cps being off timing. Anyone have experience with replacing this or possibly have the dimensions on the woodruff key so I could get one made rather than waiting on a replacement?
  6. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    The size of the woodruff key is D=16 mm (diameter), L=15,72 mm (length), the width (b) is unknown to me. Its either 3 or 4 mm, but you can measure the slot or something.
    gobertech likes this.