SM610 in offroad trim

Discussion in '610/630' started by Gav, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Gav Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR 600 SRAD:Sold ZXR 400 H2:Sold
    Hiya

I know I have posted a fair few questions about whether it's possible to convert an SM to TE.

There were a few options people had suggested in ways to make the bike more durable.
    • Fit a 17" Front knobbly tyre
    • Build a 19" Front wheel : Better Tyre options, Greater clearance
    • Fit a TE Front end with 21" Wheel
    There were some pros and cons to each of the suggested methods so I opted to go with a 19" wheel build because it was the least compromise between cost and function.
    I picked up a set of secondhand TE wheels from MotoSupplies UK and a new mudguard for clearance. (UFO Motorcross guard)
    I also grabbed a TE Caliper / Lever and disc
    (Haven't fitted yet, but would make swapping my SM wheels over quicker)
    Anyhow I bolted up the wheels and they went straight on my SM without any issues.
    The original idea was to use the hub from the secondhand set of wheels and get that built onto a 19" rim. I'm going just stick with the 21"/18" setup for now and see how I get on.

Clearance doesn't seem to be an issue at all and I find the spring rate on the shocks not that bad.
    Could maybe do with softening them up a little but I quite like the stiffness as it's like my mountain bike.
    The rear 18" wheel clearance with the swing arm isn't great but will see how I get on and could probably pick up a swing arm for cheap on fleabay.
    I've been out for the day riding offroad (green lanes) UK roads open to Enduro / 4x4.
    The bike hasn't skipped a beat and have really enjoyed the riding. Lots of mud, big puddles and some steep hills. I only layed the bike down once when trying to get up a steep wet chalk hill and got stuck in a rut. (no damage :D )
    Here she is just after a mud bath
    [IMG]
  2. Gav Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR 600 SRAD:Sold ZXR 400 H2:Sold
    One thing I will mention is that a longer kickstand is needed.
    The current stand is so short that the bike almost falls over. I've got a TE one my mate is going to give me, I think I might get a larger pad welded onto the bottom as well so I don't have to carry round my plastic puck.

Not sure how much use the SM wheels will get now as offroad is where the fun is!

Gav
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I am very interested in this conversion.

Just bought a 2006 to replace my 2001 on which the top end seized, but have found the 2006 a lot more supermoto orientated than my 2001 which was more an enduro with road wheels bolted on.

The bars on the SM also look wrong for dirt riding, am I right or just imagining it?

And what's this about the swing arm being too short to take an 18" knobbly?

I'm going to measure the swing arms and forks on both bikes and have a look.

I have the TE wheels and brake caliper (drilled and tapped to m10) already from my old 2001 610SM so the conversion could still be on if I could be persuaded that the 2006 model isn't too compromised as a dual sport.