Simple Case Of Te630 Not Starting…

Discussion in '610/630' started by Hardy, May 18, 2022.

1. Hardy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE630
    Hi all, I’m new here - this is my first post on an invaluable online resource!

This is a lengthy post, I’ve tried to include as much information as possible in the hope you guys can help out.

So my IBP (Italian Bitch Princess) will not start.
    It turns over, sometimes it’ll run for few seconds but mostly just turns over.

I went for a decent ride up the beach in January, gave it a good wash, hasn’t started since.

I noticed the Li-Ion battery crapped itself. Bloated with zero charge. Meh.
    Using an 80Ah AGM camping battery I can power up the dash, turn over the motor but still won’t start.

The wires at plug to VR were previously a bit crispy, I fixed this a last year, tested VR resistance with multimeter - readings compared as normal. The plug wires haven’t changed and I haven’t retested the VR as I don’t believe it has anything to do with starting?

I have iBeat. No current errors, only historical errors from me attempting different tactics - the errors clear when I reconnect the various components. Neutral light is solid, not blinking however it maybe blinking when I turn over the motor, goes back to solid when I release starter button.

I also have a spare TE630 that runs fine with out any errors, I’ve been using it as a donor for known working parts.

And I have the full 630 user manual PDF…

So the problem is:

NOT Spark Plug. Big fat orangey spark. Other bike has smaller bluer spark. Haven’t compared plug models nos. The plugs have different ‘knobs’ on the end so I haven’t swapped HT leads however I have tried other spare plugs, same results as above.

NOT Fuel Pump. Can hear pump prime when pushing button. Have swapped complete tanks around both bikes, other bike runs, IBP does not.

NOT Air Filter. Currently have entire airbox removed.

NOT ECU. Have swapped both around, other bike still runs fine, IBP does not.

NOT TPS. Have installed the TPS module off other bike, IBP won’t start. Haven’t tried IBP TPS on other bike.

NOT CTS. No iBeat error however I can force an error by disconnecting it, fan engages etc, reconnect no error.

NOT Tilt Sensor. No sensor but the plug wires can be dodgy. Again, I can force the error on iBeat to confirm that is not the fault.

Maybe not CPS. There is round black plug under tank with the 3 alternator wires. I compared the resistance on both bikes - same. Unfortunately my cheap Bunnings multimeter display was playing up but the readings were the same on both bikes. 7 ohm? The other plug with 2 wires from CPS give zero resistance on both bikes. Should I somehow be testing all 5 wires in some kind of combination?

The only thing I haven’t tried is swapping the throttle bodies. Seems a bit easier than removing the injector, should give same result.

So apart from that I’ve really run out of ideas, reaching out to you all in case I’ve missed something really simple or if it is really quite complicated.

Last time I rode the bike it was unreal. Huge sweeping super grunt slidies all up & down the beach, looking over my shoulder in dumb struck awe as huge vast volumes of sand chunks are relocated from my tyre tracks to other parts of beach - Whoot!
    Get back home, wash bike, nothing. My therapy machine has stopped working. Please help.

Thanks in advance, Hardy
  2. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Your lucky to have a donor bike for testing! Sounds like you got a good handle on troubleshooting. Your getting close.
  3. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

As stated above you are very lucky to have a known good 630 to compare with. You have been very diligent in your testing. Only thing I can suggest is a wiring harness problem somewhere. I would suspect around the head stock but could be anywhere. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Thumperama likes this.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Some bikes in this era needed a better ground for the ECU. All I got.
    shrubitup likes this.
  5. Hardy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE630
    Found it!

Loose connection (wire/pin) within an otherwise intact plug under the tank.
    I took an iphone video to demonstrate just how finicky the connection is and why it was so hard to trace - can’t upload it though.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attached Files:

willie likes this.