Should I, or Shouldn't I?...USA Recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by psmura, Mar 9, 2018.

1. psmura Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650R, TE 510 (blown up and sold)
    Hey all,

I am a little bit confused by this US recall. I have owned my 2014 for about 2 years now and it runs pretty darn well. The P.O did the temperature "fool" mod (has a toggle switch for hot/cold riding) and the pod mod from day one. (Also running a single GPR exhaust)

Overall I think the bike is really running great. I really haven't gotten many flame outs even with the new exhaust. A quick punch of the throttle before taking off from a stop eliminates any chance for a stall.

Now I still have not gotten a letter from Husqvarna stating that my bike falls under the recall. I drive by a rather local KTM dealer and have been meaning to stop regarding the recall.

Would you guys even bother with the recall if my bike is running smoothly? How do I go about reverting back to stock?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
  2. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    It would be good to know which firmware you have in there. There was an update that should have have been uploaded before delivery.
  3. psmura Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650R, TE 510 (blown up and sold)
    Can you tell me exactly where to look for this on my bike?

Guess I just assumed that all the bikes had the issue. I didn't know that an update was uploaded on some bikes.

Overall I am not concerned how the bike runs. I just don't want to miss the recall and be stuck with a new boat anchor.
  4. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Regardless of Firmware the recall applies to all TR650s, there were no bikes sold/delivered without the inherent stalling defect, although some do have updated 3rd generation firmware 8543016. The bikes that do have the latest software do tend to run a lot better than the older versions, but some are still not as good as they should be.

Unless you have the relevant diagnostic software and connectors you cannot find the information as it is embedded in the ecu.

My bike does not have the updated firmware, it is still the 2nd generation and it runs very well, but the reason for that is several mods including a bigger injector etc. I am waiting on the update/recall because i am currently using the bike regularly. When I get a chance i will get it done.

My advice is, if you have the time to take your bike to the dealer and be without it for the 4 to 6 weeks it takes then get it done.
  5. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    the recall usually doesn't take more than 2 weeks in the US. Mine was sorted within one week and was well worth it. Mine had the latest pre-recall firmware and ran reasonably well but the recall improved more than just fixing the stalling. Even if you're happy with how it runs it's probably worth the hassle just for re-sale value and legal situation "just in case". I would bring it back to stock condition prior to the recall and make sure the adaption reset and rebuild is done properly to start with a clean sheet.
  6. Chopperbob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR-650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XT660Z,Honda Africa Twin
    For anyone who has done this in the USA, can I just take the bike to a KTM dealer, without the recall letter? Are all TR650s included? Ours stall when rolling the throttle closed during stops.
  7. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    You don't need the letter, they just check the vin number.
    I was unable to get a KTM only dealer to do the re-call.
    Has to be a Husqvarna dealer.
  8. Chopperbob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR-650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XT660Z,Honda Africa Twin
    UPDATE:
    We decided to have the service completed at Orange County KTM. As described above, the service took about 1.5 weeks to complete. The Strada runs well, but I do notice a slight uneven running (as if the engine is "hunting" for a proper mixture) while cruising in 4th gear at about 4k rpm. BUT the engine stalling seems to be cured. For sure, when the bike is started, the rpm's range way up to 2k rpm, then it settles down slowly. This happens hot or cold.

I also had them service the radiator with "Engine Ice" and the bike ran 1-2 bars lower on the temp. graph in 90 degree heat and 70mph cruising speeds for 1 hour.

YMMV.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Yes I would bother with the recall. My bike was the same as yours. It stalled stock, but it ran fine with the booster plug fitted. I disconnected the booster plug before taking it in for the recall. After the recall the stalling at low revs issue is resolved, but also the bike feels like it's pulling stronger from lower revs. To remove the booster plug you need to remove the left side panel, then disconnect the plug on the bottom of the airbox which is connected to the AIT sensor in the airbox. You will find the original AIT plug lead connected to the other side of the booster plug, so just disconnect that and connect that plug to the AIT sensor. You have to squeeze in the metal ring on the plug to allow it to be removed.