1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Seized Engine: 2014 Te310r W/ 15 Hours

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MitchMan406, Jan 26, 2019.

1. MitchMan406 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310R
    **Revised**

Question:

(I discovered this while trying to find TDC.)

When looking at the flywheel with cover/stator removed from the left side of the bike, I can rotate the flywheel both clockwise and counter clockwise by hand. On this engine, the flywheel should rotate counter clockwise while operating, during normal conditions. So the fact the flywheel spins counterclockwise is perfectly fine.

However, why does the flywheel rotate backwards (clockwise) AND turn the worm gear on the starter. This is the real issue. With the freewheel bearing installed, the engine should not spin backward--otherwise, why would it be in there. Spacing, perhaps?

I can can rotate the engine easily with with my hand (no tools) turning the flywheel -- as well as when I rotate the rear tire backwards while the bike is in second gear. The engine easily reverses and drives the worm gear backwards on the starter. There’s no binding whatsoever. The worm gear spins very quickly when I rotate the engine backwards, too. That was quite a surprise.

I though this engine was prevented from rotating in reverse because the starter worm/ring relationship.

Has the ‘14’s updated parts in the starter/worm/ring configuration solved the destroyed case issue experienced by some? Because this bike will plainly spin backwards with zero binding.

To refresh everyone here, I have a 2014. Which there are no parts for. All parts for this bike are coming from 20xx - 2013 MYs.

I do not know how to post a video here.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    engine backwards: misfire, ignition advanced (eg, flywheel key sheared), rolling backwards (downhill?) then dumping the clutch. [also: the bike is on a stand and someone turns the rear wheel backwards bike in gear, which engages the sprag and tries to turn the worm. thunk. lotsa ADCs don't like this too much either- some bikes specify only turning the engine forward to locate TDC.]

It's conceivable that with a bad sprag or maybe even turning the engine backward slow enough, the sprag will not engage and so the ring will not try to turn the worm. but I would guess the if the sprag engaged, it would come to a solid stop. you're not seeing this??? you shouldn't be able to drive the worm in either rotational direction using the ring gear; but by only turning it's shaft.

read this:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sh...-electric-starting-a-few-long-thoughts.87927/

worm turning starter: it doesn't. the starter drives the worm by making it's shaft rotate through the bevel gears... unless something very weird is going on- got a vid?

2014 has a few updated parts over the 2013 (ring and worm gear being one; possibly fork internals) but otherwise are the same bike. hell, the 14s had a sticker on it that said "100 year anniversary model 1903-2013" or something like that. they were made in the summer of 2013.
  3. MitchMan406 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310R
    Trench:

I updated my comments above for clarity, FYI.

Thanks for the responses.

My fear here is when I get this thing reassembled, I'm going to hit the starter button and the sprag/freewheel bearing will engage and lock.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Post a vid to YouTube maybe.

I can't understand how turning the rear wheel can cause the worm gear to turn at all- in any direction. All I can envision is the worm shaft itself being driven forward or backward (depending on the ring gear spin direction) without rotation. I really need to see a video.

The sprag should engage when you turn the engine (rear wheel) backwards. That is normal behavior.

the worm and ring gear are the same parts as earlier xlites, apparently they have just been hardened to reduce galling. The '14s will shoot the worm drive out of the case just as fast as any electric start xlite if the conditions are right.

You want the sprag to engage & lock when you hit the starter button; that is how the starter turns the engine. Once the engine is spinning faster than the sprag (CCW), the sprag releases- regardless if the electric motor is spinning or not.

I'm admittedly still confused why you took the flywheel off and replaced the sprag, when your issue was a bent valve. The clutch also, I guess.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    here is a fast explanation of the sprag operation for you:

the sprag engages when it is spinning counter-clockwise faster than the engine.

when the engine is spinning clockwise (backwards) the sprag may engage because it is "spinning" counter-clockwise faster (but really, it's not moving) relative to the engine.

I don't know if that clears things up or muddies the water even more. I am unclear if centrifugal force is a factor with the sprag's pawls engaging; I know friction is.
    NYCMX likes this.
  6. MitchMan406 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310R
    Got the bike started last night.

Took about 4-5 five-second starting attempts with the electric start, but she fired right up once the fuel system primed.

I quickly shut it off to make some adjustments and mods to the wiring/radiator hoses near the exhaust pipe.

Ordered exhaust wrap last not on Amazon for overnight delivery.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
  8. peppers Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 CRF 250
    Hi Mitch did i see this is an old post, i bought a 2014 TE310R about a year and a half ago and have several problems. Did you ever get your bike running again? I was hoping to see if you could send me some close up pics of a few areas so i could compare to mine. lmk...