1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Seat questions 1980 CR390

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Oct 5, 2010.

1. HuskyT Moderator

SO who can tell me where to get a "correct" 1980 replacement seat foam?

Phillip has the "correct" black "1980" replacements seat cover.

Vintage husky lists a seat foam for "1980 to 1982" however I know that the 1980 is thinner than the 81/82 so is his seat foam truly correct????

I have a seat off of a 1982? Yellow XC???? That I will use for my 1980 CR390 restoration . Base is good quality .

Would like to replace the seat cover and foam with a "correct" thin 1980 seat foam and cover while retaining the better quality 1982 seat base. The 1980 base was prone to cracking ... however any 30 year old plastic is sure to be brittle...

Anyone?

T
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HT,
    Might try AMS Racing or Hi-Flite.
    Rick
  3. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    1980 Husky is a 1 year only seat, they changed it in 79 & again 81 & up.
    The 1981,82 seat looks the same, except the mounts on the rear won't
    line up, it didn't on my bike at least. They'll be about a .25-.375 off (guessing), so you need to make a slotted piece , so you can use it.

took me a year to find a correct seat for my 80 390.

Husky John
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Yup, it's a one year only deal. True 1980 seat is about 1" shorter in overall length. Go to the "1982 CR500" thread, scroll down the first page, and see the photo of my 82.5 CR500 "before." It's got a 1980 seat on it, and you can see the gap between seat and tank. The 80 coffin style tank came back farther... and needed a shorter seat.

Unfortunately, I don't have that seat anymore. Traded it for other Husky stuff.
  5. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmm

How about (for now!) getting the dimensions of the 1980 seat and trimming down a foam to the correct size (whilst you hunt in earnest for the elusive original!)? There was a thread on here recently showing the 'how-to' steps to do this. In the rest threads maybe? Seemed to work very well if I recall.

Sorry - I know it's not much help, but just a thought.

While you're trawling ebay beware the old scam of parts listed as "off a 1980 Husky...". I'm sure we've all seen plenty of those and grumbled about the lack of come-back intended.

Best of luck with your search HT.

Lucien
  6. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

hmmmmm, i have a pretty nice 80 Husky seat i may sell..PM me..maybe we can make a deal
  7. HuskyT Moderator

PM sent
  8. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Is this a great site or what?
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Pics posted... need help on seat issue

Ok - I went ahead and tried fitting up my seat which I beleive is off of an xc. Yellow with Black Husqvarna logo. Rear of the seat is very thin.

The slot mount fits very well in the front and the rear tabs line up perfectly.

However, to me this seat seem like it is to short at the back by at least an inch... does not fit the bend in the rear sub frame area very well.

Also seems like it should be longer by about an inch in the front.

The tank is from a 1980 390 Auto....

The information posted above says that I need the shorter seat when using the skinny 1980 alloy tank... something does not seem right ????

Pics:
    OVerall:
    [IMG]

Rear:
    [IMG]

Side showing overall at 21.5 inches:
    [IMG]

Detail of 21.5" :
    [IMG]

Close up of seat gap...? is this normal gap? or does the seat actually press into the rear tank mount????
    [IMG]

Rear off of the bike:
    [IMG]

Bottom pan front:
    [IMG]

Bottom pan overall:
    [IMG]

So what does an actual 1980 cr 390 seat actually measure in overall length... ?????

Old Husky Chuck or Ruwfo or Steve or Picklito??? This to me does not seem to dictate a shorter seat. Please advise!!!

Thanks, T
  10. HuskyT Moderator

Sorry Steve but this just further confuses me

Also , I've been looking but none of my neighbors here in Southern California have any old Artic Cats laying around gathering dust...LOL !
  11. HuskyT Moderator

Steve or anyone.....How thick is the 81/82/83 seat at the back if you measured vertical height from the top of the rear fender to the top of the seat 2 " or thicker...

How about on the 1980... maybe 1 1/2 "?????

I want to solve this insanity once and for all....

T
  12. HuskyT Moderator

Moody390's 1980 cr seat

Here is what Moody390's 1980 CR390 seat looks like... one helluva lot longer than 21.5".... goes past the frame stops by a little bit and almost is touching the tank in the front.... the back vertical height looks about the same as the yellow one that I have. Which year of Husky used a yellow seat with black piping and a black husqvarna logo?

Are you guys sure the 1980 seat is shorter...?????

3 pics in this attached link:

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showpost.php?p=93248&postcount=26

Tell me I'm crazy here???

T
  13. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

T, I think it was only '83. I think the yellow seats were about as popular as the 44mm Mikuni carbs from the '82.5 CR500. Both were one year wonders.

Kind regards
    Lucien
  14. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    T,
    I'll try & measure my seat tonight, but here's 2 profile pics of mine
    with the correct 80 seat mounted.

Husky John

Attached Files:

15. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    T,
    Also here's a older pic of the bike with a 82? seat i made work with
    some brackets. Note how the seat sticks past the frame rails, where
    the correct seat is almost even.

Husky John

Attached Files:

16. HuskyT Moderator

John,

What is your overall seat length on the correct 1980 seat?????. I just received a seat from OldHuskyChuck and it is the same dimensions as my yellow 83 seat .. 21.5 " long .. 1.5 inches tall ( thick ) at the rear fender....

Let me know....with the 21.5 " seat there is a huge gap to pinch your balls in... see Yellow picture above... this can't be right...

Frustrated to say the least....

T
  17. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

i have another seat that is on a 80 390 WR though not as nice, id be happy to swap you out for the one i sent.
  18. HuskyT Moderator

Hi Chuck, ( had previously sent PM to you)

The seat you shipped me is indeed in great looking shape..it just seems to short. Identical to the 83 . What is the length on the WR seat? I do appreciate the offer...

I'm still interested to see what John's seat actually measures.

T
  19. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

the seat i sent was got off ebay for my 82 WR, it was too short, as was the 80WR seat i have, could you have a 81 82 frame?
  20. HuskyT Moderator

My Frame is a late 1979 MM (made late in the model year) MM05139
    [IMG]

However it has the 1980 CR subframe (if you can call it that) as the frame loop does not go over the fender and has the 1980 bend up at 30 Degrees or so......

[IMG]

[IMG]

I imagine this is a frame that they started playing with the new rear section on....

1979 CR frames still had the loop over the fender.

Here is a 1980 CR - the seat is considerably longer, fits close to the tank and to the end of the frame tube stops...:
    [IMG]

I really don't understand why everyone thinks the 1980 seat is shorter?

T