1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Searching for low end 82 CR250

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Eurofreak, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I'd rather buy a larger rear sprocket. We'll see how it feels after the new jets are installed.
    If I can, I'd rather add to the Cr cylinder's low end instead of a WR cylinder.
    justintendo and oldbikedude like this.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Setting the vertical height of gasses above the piston at top will effect the kind of gas flow across the piston. To help out in a reliable manner long distance on a forum the guys attempting to help will most likely be asking this. The spark starts as a kernel of flame.

It is my impression that decking the cylinder, cutting off where the base gasket goes and cutting into the head for the piston top is the direction to go. A cr cylinder if different than a wr one might be more of a plane off the top difference.

I think I read most of this. Is using a modern silencer discussed. You are at least supposed to re pack your silencer before investing too much effort on tuning.
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Fran. I will check the stock silencer for new packing. The previous owner built it for vintage racing. It has two races on it. I'd be surprised if he didn't looking at everything else he did but...
    A modern silencer was not discussed. The jetting will be here shortly and I will run it around after installing.
    Regarding the squish-
    So this would be an increase in compression? It doesn't need any more power on top-plenty there.
    I have lowered compression with base gaskets to aid starting and change port timing. Never measured it tho I understand the concept.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    steel wool in the muffler will help low end a tad
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    It's not really about raising the compression or increasing peak HP. It's just about getting this motor to run its best.

Ideally we would set the cylinder at a height that gives the port timing we're after, and then we'd set the head where we get the desired squish distance. Then we'd massage the bowl to get the compression ratio we want. That might require machining the top or bottom of the cylinder, or the head surfaces as fran...k mentioned. That's quite a bit more measuring, machining, and $$$ than most of us want or need for these old scoots. But these motors are actually pretty good, and just using the Cometic base gasket that lands the squish distance at .040-.045" is a really good start, and for just the cost of some gaskets. Stock, they typically are in the .060-.080" range. There's a lot left in these motors for just a base gasket.
    Eurofreak likes this.
  6. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    I have run no base gasket on my 2007 cr144 and retarded the ignition looking for more everywhere but the rest of the mods rendered any comparison to stock useless but on good fuel with a squish around 1mm you should see an overall improvement providing the squish is way off say 2mm (sorry metric not imperial) currently running 1.2mm on my wr430 , jetting, squish and gearing should be enough and cheapest route for low end gains i prefer to clutch and go up on gearing you can extend the clutch actuator to give lighter pull.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Why not build a wr engine and install it in a cr frame?
  8. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That explains it a bit. I'll give it a try. Bill, I don't want to put that much $$ in it right now. I'd rather fiddle with what I have. It won't need much to make it a lot better in the woods. Just some low end.