Sealing Spoke rims Pt 2

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by ducatijohn, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ducatijohn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310, 72 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 BMW R90S, 99 Kaw ZRX1100, 78 Duc
    Now that my rims are spotless, I'm ready to put the first layer of sealer on. In order to run tires tubeless, you must ensure that your rims have a safety bead on them. See photo below. View attachment 34328

Pencil is pointing at safety bead. Also note that you must tape the hole in the end of the valve stem to keep it free of sealant. (Blue painters Tape)

I am using GE Aluminum/Metal Silicone II. The only place I found this is at Ace Hardware; Home Depot and Lowes does not carry it.

2013-11-28 06.39.15.jpg

Note how the spokes are recessed into the nipple on my rim. The recess is at least an eighth inch deep, which helps because it will be easier to force to silicone into this to create an airtight seal. I used latex gloves and forced the silicone into each nipple. See photo below.

View attachment 34329

When completed it should look like this. I took a while, I have to do this to 4 wheels. Now I'll let it sit for at least 24 hours and then put a layer that covers the nipple completely. Next post to follow.
  2. ducatijohn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310, 72 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Safety Bead.jpg Silicone.jpg

Sorry, the 2 photos somehow got lost so I poted them here.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have thought of this but does it actually work?
  4. ducatijohn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310, 72 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Others have tried it and they claimed it worked for thousands of miles. I believe there's a company in CA that also does this for about $75 per wheel. I'm pretty confidant that it will be successful, I just have to take my time, don't rush it and do a thorough job.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seems like sanding the rim where the sealant would go would be important.
  6. Sceep Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '94 st1100
    no reason it shouldn't work for a supermoto. wire wheels on cars (think silly little mexican "Daytons") are sealed in a similar manner.

Don't see it working at low PSI trail duty though. even with the safety beads, the tire would likely still burp air or peel the bead off.
  7. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Sealed my tyres using 3M sealing tape, 3 wheels completed so far, a year on 2, 18 months on the 3rd.