1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Rokon versus Husqvarna automatic

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Michel Dufayard, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    Michel, I have a 1974 Rokon RT 340. Mike Murphy built this for me this past summer. He and I have been good friends for nearly 9 years, and during the first several years of our friendship I (along with whole lot of other people) always chided him about Rokons. He always took it in stride -- an would say well John (me), one day you'll understand. A few years ago I bought 73 Rokon 340 and posted it up on here. Regrettably, I only rode it for about 15 minutes, and sold it (along with my 74.5 Penton Mint 400 and 77 Hercules 250 -- which were both fully restored and titled!!!) because I simply ran out of space in my garage. Well, I moved and bought a new home with much more storage space. So Mike kept on pestering to buy one from him b/c he said that he would build it to my personal taste. So last spring, I finally agreed and I picked up the bike late this summer.

Mike is The Rokon Guru -- make no mistake about it. As Brian pointed he purchased two of the largest Rokon inventories in the US over the past 3 years. So if there is a part you need or want -- he has it. If there is bike you need or want, he probably has one or can build you one. Over the past few years, you really don't hear anyone really cracking jokes about Rokons anymore, as they highly sought after now. I'm certainly a Rokon believer, now.

Michel, I can't tell you how they compare with Husky Autos, as I've never owned or ridden a Husky Auto, but would like to at least ride one some day.

With respect to engine/motor braking. There's really none to speak of, but there are little tricks to help the motor downshift, if you will. For example, let's say you carry alot of speed up a hill that you know has fast down hill. Once you reach the crest of the hill you simply quickly twist then chop the throttle just as you hit the crest and this will cause the Rokon to downshift, and hence you will have a small degree of engine braking. But really what it comes down to is just learning how to modulate front and rear brakes as your going down hill. I got to it after about a half day of riding, and it actually taught me how to carry more speed when riding a bike with a regular transmission.

The beauty of a Rokon in my opinion, is that you don't have to think about shifting...you accelerate hard, brake hard, repeat. You're always in the right gear, no matter what you do -- it's a pretty awesome concept in my book!:)

Mike sells has many customers overseas -- England, France, Norway, South Africa, Italy, etc, etc...I know for a fact that he certainly has sold at least 7 bikes to interested parties overseas in the last 3 years. As far price is concerned, it all depends on what you want. If you don't mind, I would not like to disclose what I paid for mine, but I can tell you that Mike is a very reasonable and knowledgeable Rokon builder, and the knowledge he has (factory tips, clutch, suspension, etc) and the particular care he takes in building is worth his asking price. If you would like more information about him and would like to contact him, then just click on this link:

http://www.vintagemxracer.com/rokonrenew1.html

Tell him that I (John, aka Skoalman) referred you. You can contact Mike at RT340Auto@aol.com

Had a race today and rode my 83 HUS 430WR, and tomorrow I'm taking my Rokon for a spin!
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    that sachs motor is interesting, my old scorpion had one with no expansion chamber, just a fat header than ran to a donaldson muffler. the rokon looks like it has a much better exhaust, probably better porting to as mine was a 71. mine was rated at 26 horse and was fairly torquey, i bet the rokon pulls great thru the midrange
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    They key to making those Rokons work is setting up the clutch, which as Skoalman will tell you, Mike Murphy is the master at it.
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh, and I still make fun of Mike for riding a Rokon. :)
  7. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hi Skoalman
    Yes I have contacted Mike.
    He told me all that you say.
    He can build the Rokon you want.
    It is not in the project now but perhaps in some future.
    But he is THE man for ROKON ! :applause:
  8. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    You're definitely right about that Brian!

Michel, if you choose to buy one, I think you'll be very pleased.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Those TEAM industustries roller clutches are really nice. I sell those, have wondered what it would be like on a dirt bike lol
  10. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    To clarify...
    Is it fair to say that the Rokon doesn't really HAVE a transmission?
    Not is the sense that the Husky Auto did...with actual machined gears, etc.
    My sense is the constantly varying drive ratios of the Rokon are determined by the engine speed changing the engagement of the clutch/drive belt.

A bit of the weird uncle of 70's dirt bikes...but actually quite effective back then, and as a number of these posts indicate...still effective today.
    Tinken likes this.
  11. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Whatever you do NEVER spell it Rocon.
    The owners burr up something nasty.:D
  12. Husky-Nut Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR250, 2020 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    1931 Indian 101 Scout, 1936 Chief
    You could always tell when a Rokon guy pulled up to the starting line at an enduro back in the day.

One arm was 2-inches longer than the other!

:lol:
    robertaccio likes this.
  13. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    mag one piece wheels. basically a snomobile powerplant assy in a moto chassis. check the Ron Bishop thread.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  16. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    304812_1312_tn6.jpg

in the web usa
  17. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is Mike Murphy's Cobra, a special MX model, he sold it a few years ago. His RT2 has a Cobra clutch in it.
  18. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just happened to see this video from Unadilla's MX Rewind CC race. Obviously a bad start, but he left a few behind and no one got by him once he got in the woods. Sounds just like my old Ski Doo!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeoNG-pxM1Q
  19. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    This was my uncle Ron Bishops that not only won the tecate enduro which my dad also won it one also.... he also won many an enduro on one.... qualified for ISDE and went.... yes he DNF'd but it wasnt a wheel I believe he broke his collarbone.... thing is pretty trick, no engine braking, front and rear disc.... His will be at the AMA Hall of Fame Early next year for a while....

Attached Files:

20. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    This looks like my uncle RB..... I have those exact knee pads I just got out of his garage..... WOW.....
    Husky cr, rwgregory and WayneL like this.