Rocker arm shaft seal leaking again

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi, I replaced the shaft seal in the rocker arm and it was okay for awhile, now it is leaking again! I am using 10w40 semi synthetic oil if that makes any difference.
  2. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Right, I believe I have found out the cause of the leak.

The bevelled edge of the bushing (I think that might be the term for it) that goes on the end of the shaft has worn unevenly.

I think this could be because I had to weld the bearing retaining pin in instead of getting it swaged because I do not have access to a vice! Now I work at a place where there are plenty of vices so I may get my spare rocker arm a new bearing and have it swaged ready for if this one starts leaking again.

I think the welds transfer too much shock to the rocker arm shaft and hence it wears the bushing too much.

Here is a video I took of the leak and the wear I am referring to in this post:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    The welding I am referring to was done in march last year and since then I have covered about 5000 miles on the bike so apart from the excess wear on the bushing there doesn't seem to be any other effects, except for a little extra noise. Here are a couple of pics of the tack welding:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    I did this because the local motorcycle shop refused to help me out with the swaging of the bearing in the rocker arm shaft and I just so happened to have a mig welder back from when I fabricated a downpipe for turbo conversion on the car I used to have.
  4. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Replace the bushings they are way past worn out.
    Later George
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    So good to see you posting George. I miss your erudite and spot on calls.
  6. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Believe it or not I have already done that and it is still leaking. I replaced the bushing in the exhaust side with a second hand good bushing and it still leaks. I am beginning to think it must be the vibes due to the welding.