Road Legality - Australia & hopefully others

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by duggoey, Jan 19, 2012.

1. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    I have noticed that in general there are some very strict restrictions and laws regarding the registration of "dirt bikes" around the world, but particularly Australia, UK, USA and Canada. I am definately not a legal expert of any kind and info I pass on here was simply obtained through observation!

Purely out of interest I want to make a basic list of machines that are road legal as supplied from the dealer. Please note that in Australia some bikes can be registered if they meet ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliance - Including turning signals, registration plate, headlights, brake standards etc.

In general, all factory supplied trail and enduro bikes (with headlight) are road legal (albeit in a restricted form) with the exception of the Suzuki RMX 450z (Too powerful, poor emissions etc.) Most "Ag. Bikes" or agricultural/farm bikes also meet ADR Compliance . All motocross bikes are illegal to ride on the road. Although kits for bikes like the YAM YZ can be purchased which can bring the bike close to being accepted as a road registerable vehicle (Rec Rego in VIC)

Will list bikes as follows: make - legal, followed by make - not legal

Husqvarna - Legal

All TE and WR models

Husqvarna - Not Legal

All TXC/TX models

KTM/Husaburg - Legal

All EXC and TE models (both 2T and 4T)

KTM/Husaburg - Not legal

All SX models

Yamaha - Legal

All previous TT and TTR models. All past and current WR models

Yamaha - Not legal

All YZ models

Honda - Legal

The CRF 230L (Road Kit), and the CRF 250X/450X

Honda - Not legal

All other CRF models (NOte THE DISTINGUISHING "X" CRFX to desigate road legality)

Suzuki - Legal

Drz 250, 400 and 650 models + V-Strom's (Just incase of any doubt)

Suzuki - Not legal

RMX 450z (Has headlight and brakelight but too powerful/poor emissions?) All other RM/RM-Z
    Kawasaki - Legal

The KLX 250/300 kit & KLX 450 plus the KLR 650

Kawasaki - Not legal

All other KLX and KX models

Gasgas - Legal

All 2T and 4T EC Models
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You can tell which Huskies are street legal in specific areas by clicking open the relevant Husky homepage and looking at the pics of the various types and categories. The ones with number plate hangars are street legal.
  3. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    All states have different laws. NSW being the most expensive AND the most stringent laws. There is no halfway/recreational registration scheme (the lack of it being a contentious issue) in NSW. Rec. Rego. being a type of registration available in some states that allows bikes to limited road use - Forests etc but also limited road use but no arterial roads/main highways.
  4. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was pulled over on Tuesday while quite literally riding around the corner from my street just testing a repair. I wasn’t speeding or anything but was pulled over because the Highway Patrol officer thought I was un registered (which I certainly am not).

I have had my driver’s License for years but am still on my Green Ps for the bike. I was fined for not displaying my P plate, $204 and two demerit points! I’ve never had a fine in my life until then. Very ironic considering the general crime level in my neighbourhood and the severe lack of actual crime fighting police in my area (house/car broken into several times)..

Anyway the moral of the story is she had no idea what she was looking at, and didn’t notice/care about the lack of mirrors, indicators or the "Not for highway use/Off road use only" tyres. I actually asked her what the rules were, she vaguely replied saying: “The bike should be in the same configuration as the dealer supplied it”
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    A famous bank robber was asked why he robbed banks.

He replied, "because that's where the money is".

You = $$$$
    Criminals = costs
    duggoey likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    In the state of California, the law requires that the tail light has to be able to run for at least 15 minutes with the engine shut off. I noted that the 2007 TE models with AC lighting somehow snuck past this regulation somehow.:rolleyes:
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Sweet! Great way for America's finest to burn up time on a traffic stop testing that one ....
  8. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    i think your going to find a HUGE variation as to what constitiutes 'ROAD' legal. Here in Canada, we have listings from the manufacturers as to what vehicles are legal here. That is why it is hard for consumers to buy a US vehicle and import it to canada without modifications as listed from Transport Canada (ie - daytime running lights, bumper heights and construction. Most US vehicles are compliant but the intra-boarder paperwork makes the process slow and usually eats up the cost savings).
    Then we have provincial differences for manufacturers (try moving from Ontario to Alberta with your old car/ motorcycle and TRY to get it registered in Alberta lol).
    Lastly we have civil by-laws that can even be more annoying. Here in Edmonton, council passed a noise by-law against motorcyclists. You have an aftermarket exhaust system, be prepared to pay $275 fine (due to sound testing to 86db), and then the road inspection will also fine you for no reflectors, modification of turn signals etc...
    If theres any deviation from the federal (Transport Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, which is basic for motorcycles and cars) expect more fines.
    Im sure the USA is similar, as in each state defines its own version of 'road' legal.
    Best thing to do is to go to the dealership and ask which models are road legal in your area.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    All these restrictions, laws or whatever you call this on bike riding is one of the main reasons I moved out of the states to this country to finish my life ... About the same laws exist here but are not enforced unless in the larger cities ... It's open riding 99.9% of the time ... This lack of restrictions makes it a little more dangerous at times on the hard top but life is always a little dangerous and I try to stick to the dirt as much as possible... Stay alert and stay alive ...
  10. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Here in Washington state they passed a law so you can get any dirt bike plated through proper inspection. Any....dirt bike. I am tempted to find some older wr426 or something and supermoto it just for zipping around local roads
  11. Juan Giraldo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm sxf250
    Good afternoon. I was wondering if the Husqvarna TXE is road legal for Australian use. It comes with horn, indicators switch, headlight and taillight