Return of the "Lost Tribes"

Discussion in 'History' started by Norman Foley, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Husky has entered a "Third Age". I've always joked with Joe Chod about the two periods of Husky...... B.C.(Before Cagiva) and A.D.(After Dick Burleson). We are now in the third period and many who left the fold to go to KTM, Kawi or whatever are looking to resume their place in the Husky World, now that Cagiva Lords are gone. The return of Scot Harden to the tent has sent a great signal to the masses. I saw a post on KTM Talk in which a D36 Vet A rider, is fishing to be a Husky Rider/Rep. It should be interesting in the next year to see this develope. Though all are welcome under the tent, as a Huskyrider, who was loyal to the Marque, come thick or thin, it may chafe a little at times, to see some non-industry people who threw there lot in with the "Orange Order", come running back to the new Husky.
    Norman
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There is an old patriotic saying that goes something like "It is easy to hold your head high when the army is on a vicorious parade but when the battle is lost and the flag is in tatters, that is when the individuals true colors show". I would imagine there will be some who tout Husky and don't even remember the yellow bike years let alone the white ones and even still the aluminum tank years. But this is not a compeition and I welcom all brand jumpers...........just as long as they don't tout the "been there..........done that....got the T shirt" atitude.

Now what designation will we refer to for this 3rd phase Norm? I know..........how about "the happy times" or "The resurgance".
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Joe,
    Anything, but..... no 1000 year Reich!:busted:
    Norman
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Much like those that drank the KTM Kool-Aid only after it became orange flavored.

WoodsChick
  5. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I remember when H&H sold Husky and KTM. They promoted KTM back then as.... "The other white bike".
  6. Husky4life Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    to many to list
    Do you remember when Honda of troy was Dayton BMW Husky??
  7. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    You guys seem to be talking about me (generically not personally) to some degree. I was never really a "Husky guy" as much as I was a "Euro bike guy". Growing up owning a Sachs, a DKW, a couple Ossas, a CZ, and one Husky I remember the days when Europe ruled. There are those of us that miss those days and regret we were forced to go Jap for many many years to get a competitive bike and a dealer in the same time zone. I hated what the big 4 did to the historic marques, but sure I liked the technology and quality they introduced, even if a million other people had a bike just like mine.

I remember seeing Steve Lamson at the Southwick national a few years back on his FBF Husky and the emotions it stirred up for me. Nevertheless I didn't sell my Honda to get one. It wasn't until KTM's got really good that I ever considered getting anything beside a Jap bike. I even commited the cardinal sin of buying a 4-stroke - a 2002 KTM 520SX. I still have it and it is probably the most fun and reliable bike I have ever owned. I liked it so much I bought an EXC for the woods and a used LC4 dual sport, the latter of which I wanted something new to replace it with. That led me to the TE610, which I bought after weeks of intense research between it and the new 690E.

For me KTM represented an easy way to "go back to Europe" and revisit the past. Just the fact I don't own Jap bikes anymore made me feel real good, but being great bikes with great support there was no downside to owning one. However, KTM has grown so big now they represent the evil giant that the Japs once were. Everyone and their brother owns one and every off-road event is a sea of orange. That again doesn't sit well with me and I am pleased as punch that Husky makes the best dual-sport motorcycle out there. BMW swoops in and gives me the confidence to buy one and justifies me giving up my healthy cost+ discount on all things KTM and driving 1.5 hours to the closest dealer to get it. Being somewhat exclusive again and owning a brand I last owned in 1980 (250 OR) is a welcomed bonus. So I didn't really come back to Husky as much as I did just buy what I considered the best bike out there for my purposes. Now I just need to decide what to replace my EXC with when it retires.
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    This is my sole criteria when purchasing a motorcycle. If it's Austrian or Japanese, Spanish or Italian, makes no difference to me as long as it is the best bike for me and my intended usage. I tend to not like Honda as a company, but I still own my CR125 I bought new in `97 and it's been one of the best bikes I've ever owned. When I bought my 450 EXC, I did so because I got a killer deal on it, it had a license plate, and it was owned by a friend of mine since new and I know she didn't ride it very hard or very often. It kind of galled me to become one of the Orange, I felt as though I was succumbing to the sheep mentality so prevalent here in CA. I know exactly what you mean by a sea of orange at every event. But I knew in my heart it was the best option for me. I had been looking hard at the TE450, but I wasn't sure it was going to be the best bike for the hard street pounding I was going to put it through. While I was trying to justify pulling the trigger on the TE, the KTM came along and I took it. No regrets whatsoever...except for being an orange sheep:o

I will admit that I get a lot of joy knowing I'm one of 2 or 3 GasGas riders at an enduro (another riding buddy and my husband being the other two, usually) and I really enjoy parking my Husky among a sea of non-descript Japanese machinery. But on the other hand, I went with the totally-vanilla SV650 over the Ducati S2R because it suited my needs better...a comfortable and reliable low-maintenance daily driver commuter that's nimble enough to split lanes comfortably on the Bay Bridge. That Ducati was sweet, though...:)

WoodsChick
  9. rajobigguy Administrator

Well I'll admit to being something of a Husky loyalist but its' not without good reason. I have owned several Huskys over the years and everyone of them has been the best bike for its' intended purpose at the time I had them. I have owned several Hondas, Triumphs, Yamahas, and an assortment of oddball things. There were good points to be said about every one of them but there is a certain comradery that Husky riders have always seemed to share, its' one of those intangible things that make onwership seem special. This forum is a good example of what I'm talking about. When I visit the Honda,Yamaha.ect. forums they just don't have the same atmosphere and when you are out on the trail with one of you're Japanese machines and run accross someone else on a similar bike you are lucky if you get so much as a wave but when you are on the Husky and come accross another Husky it's usually instant friendship. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Huskys are semi exotic or that the people that buy Huskys fit in same demograpic as me but whatever it is, it real. When you team all that up with some of the great dealers that are really passionate about the brand I think it justifies being brand loyal.:thumbsup:
    I'm not saying that I wouldn't own some other brand if one fit my needs better but its' hard to find the same kind of magic elsewhere.
  10. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

About half the time i ride a motorcycle its at a race. Its my sport, keeps me from getting super fat. Im not in it to win. I dont pin it. I dont crash. Thats why at 45 i am still able to race and have fun. Ive been doing this since 2nd grade, since '71, with a break for college.

So for me more than anything else i want a bike that is not tainted with politics and egos and personality and marketing and all that crap.

All dirt bikes now are competitive and reliable, and im not any faster on a Husky than i would be on a KTM or Honda.

I just want something pure and clean. On my Husky i dont have to worry about Johnny Bitchin and his buddies. I dont have to kiss some 30 something year olds butt--the same guy i know cheats, lies, and screws his race partners wife, all the while 'Racing for Jesus'

No, i get to just ride my race, and i dont have to brown nose anyone, kiss any butt, go out of my way to congradulate someone i dont respect, etc. etc.

Might sound weird to some guys, but this is the single most important criteria to me when choosing a dirt bike.

When BMW screws up the whole Husky thing, in a few years, i will go race the over 50 class on a Sherco.

IMHO the Scott Summers thing is the beginning of the end. Its corporate bullcrap entering what was, for a brief few years all too cool, Husky.

For the last few years Husky has been that rare thing in life, truth.

No hype. No games. No bs. Just honest to god great bikes and a great vibe. I feel so lucky to have been a part of that. :cheers:
  11. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    That's an interesting point. I hadn't really thought about the "Teutonic" future of Husky's yet.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Huskys for me, nothing else feels the same through the years, Swedish or Italian. Only thing that had me thinking otherwise, was if Husky quit building 2 strokes. Then I would probably go Gas Gas, but that seems to have passed, as Husky is sticking with 2 strokes.

As for all truth and purity..... You might want to ask Fred Hoess or Nate Kanney about that pre-BMW. You could also have a long chat with many dealers about the Cagiva NA days. The nice thing was that Cagiva USA was still run as a family style operation, by Larry and Rob. My main hope is.... that Husky NA treats Fran Bottone well enough, that I have a place to buy Huskys and parts. A real dirt bike shop, not a "Powersports Emporium" or such. The bad dealers come and go, but the really good dealers make the difference!

My "Lost Tribes" post is more directed at the "hanger on racer type" than the average rider. These guys who will flock back as the new "Teutonic" Husky will seem more pure than the evil "Latin" Husky.
    Norman
  13. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    For what it's worth...I'm a middle aged new comer to off road riding. I know nearly nothing of Husky's past. I did, however have the pleasure of meeting Malcolm Smith recently and he impressed me a genuinely nice guy. I have looked around at a number of bikes and currently own a Suzuki. The Huskys just have a unique appeal that keeps drawing me back. I also see a couple of models that really get my attention. I was hoping to get one when I bought my current bike but the local dealer was dropping them claiming that their dealer support was poor. I'm also struck by how friendly this forum has turned out to be. My point is that I am attracted to them because of what nice bikes they are.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You're of the "Found" tribe. Welcome to Husky Land!:cheers:
  15. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    I'm with "WoodsChick" on this one.
    Loyalty has nothing to do with owning a Husky, even though I've raced and ridden Swedish and Italian versions for the last 30 years.
    I do have a propensity for Euro bikes having KTM's, Huskys, Montesa's and BMW's in my stable. ATK's too, although not really Euro but most of the parts are.

Whatever works well for the given circumstances get's my nod - KTM at the moment.
  16. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've pretty much been Husky loyal since 1968. I've also had a smattering of Ossa's, Bultaco's and most recently Gas Gas. I still have my EC 300 (really enjoy that bike) but for some reason still gravitate to my Husky. I think in part, it was being part of a proud history. Being associated, if by only ownership (certainly not talent) of a Husqvarna, with all the great riders, was something special. These guys were the master of their trade and Husqvarna was King. Long live the King.