Replacing a 08 610TE throttle cable

Discussion in '610/630' started by North, Oct 24, 2014.

1. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    IMG-20141024-00105.jpg

Well, my throttle cable broke last sunday while riding out to a riding event. I used the choke to get back home, it was a lot slower.

Anyways so I put in a new cable and all seems to be okay until I bolt back together the two halves on the handle bars. Then the hand grip will not spring back and the hand grip does not turn easy. So, what I have I missed or done wrong?

Thanks

Rick
  2. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Well, this just drove me nuts. I ended up following advice from a Friend who said there should be some slack in the throttle grip. So I maxed out the slack adjustment in the cable and it works. The cable is still tight and there is no play, but I guess it will stretch over time. But hey, it works.

This is the first throttle cable I have ever replaced and I did have bad feeling, but it's all good now.
    Blazes likes this.
  3. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Just to add on this, I found that when I turned the handle bars to the right side the throttle got tight again and would not spring back. So I used the adjustment to tighten the cable to stretch it to get more slack.
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    This is the first I've seen your posts. I'm quite sure that if you take it back apart and study it you will find your problem. If not take it to a motorcycle or snowmobile shop and seek help.
    You are running the risk of a stuck throttle and that is very dangerous.
    Don't ride the bike til you have this problem solved.
  5. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    IMG-20141031-00106.jpg

Thanks, the problem is solved, the cable was too tight all along. The final check was turning the handle bars to the right and left. It failed the turning to the right. So I stretched the cable using the adjusting nuts and it's fine. I have driven the Bike back and forth to work. My clutch cable broke a couple of years ago on a Forest Service Road, so I need to be able to fix these things myself. I do carry a clutch cable on dual-sport rides, and I am thinking about a throttle cable too. Or maybe just replacing it every couple of years.