1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Replacement clutch time

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by phillip sanders, Mar 2, 2016.

1. phillip sanders Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    So the clutch basket on my 09 300 is toast, I've been searching these forums on and off for a week or two and only found a link the the Ferracci one in the US as an aftermarket option

http://www.ferracci.com/parts-accessories/husqvarna/motocross/clutch/clutch-basket-cr250.html

Someone in another thread mentioned Talon in the UK, i just called them and they gave me a part number of THK067 for the 2007 CR 250 (does that bike even exist?)

Anyway that part number lead me to this page
    http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/husky-clutch-basket-2

Seems like a reasonable price and im about to pull the trigger on one, however according to their website they allow returns at their discretion and 15% restocking fee is chargeable if its wrong.

I have a good feeling it will fit but also a nagging feeling it wont.

Hoping someone with experience with these clutches can offer some advice

Cheers
    Phil
  2. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I just put a Ferracci basket that was originally designed for his race team 01-02 CR250 ,on a 2013 WR300 . His basket comes with instructions and it's like many of the aftermarket baskets,you'll need to drill the head off of the 8 rivets and they will be replaced by 8 counter-sunk screws (need to use red loctite on them). It is the same physical dimensions as the stocker HOWEVER you will need to order 8 of 800048325 flexible coupling because the newer baskets use round ones,the old hub has weird shaped ones.Putting on the new couplings are a bitch to get on but I set them in very hot water to make them more pliable and some engine oil. Another point is that ktm has decided not to reproduce the older flexible couplings! but when checked on the internet , several sites in Europe had them.When I ordered my basket, Ferracci had them still in stock and had a few used ones as well. Almost forgot, Ferracci had hard anodizing applied to basket so if you have fairly new plates,you will need to "lightly" file one side of each friction disc so that they move freely...but don't file the basket or you'll take of the anodizing.
    Lets us know if you use the mdracing basket- like to keep options available for my customers. GOOD LUCK
  3. phillip sanders Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Hey gus great info there thanks. My new Talon basket just turned up and it looks like i also need to order up some of the round rubber donut things too,i guess ill only find out once i drilled my old one off. Ill put some pics up of the Talon part later. Interestingly the instructions are headed with the MITAKA logo i didnt know they were linked to Talon. Also fitting instructions state for Honda CR125/CR250F/KTM125/KTM250SXF. which has me wondering if they are the same part across these bikes.
  4. phillip sanders Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Here it is[IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I purchased a new basket from FbF a year ago for my '11 wr300. They told me the CR250 basket is smaller than the stock wr250/300 clutch basket and doesn't have the circular posts and cushions like the wr (they are oval instead). The outside diameter (OD) for the stock wr250/300 basket is 154 mm, so they took one of their baskets for a husky 450/510 4strk (model #F55616), which has an OD of 156 mm, and machined it down to 154 mm. All other dimensions are the same as the stock wr250/300 basket. It works great w/a Rekluse ZSP w/Honda oem friction plates! Here are some pics of the stock (silver) and modified FbF (gold) baskets. I paid $250 I think. Also bought 8 new cushions from Bills.

20150225_205145.jpg 20150225_205249.jpg 20150225_205358.jpg 20150225_205448.jpg
    BenM and ohmygewd like this.
  6. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 WR360 WR125 CR250 WXE250 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    That's good info. Wondering if this will work on the earlier bikes and people looking to convert their D/Oval shaped cushions to the newer style full moon/round cushions. Going to measure the basket off my '02 CR250 and see what the difference in diameters is.
  7. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Clutch basket out of the CR250 measured 155mm diameter at the largest point. Ended up calling FBF and ordering their clutch basket, specifying I needed the Full moon/round cushions. Just got it in and looks like they sent me 450/510 4strk (model #F55616) as the OD is 156mm. Should be easy to turn it down to 155mm. Really happy with it, looks like a nice piece.

[IMG]FBF Clutch basket
    Brian Scott likes this.
  8. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    Nice. They could have turned it down for you. Good luck w/it. They are a quality piece!
  9. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Thanks! I did it myself it work and it wasn't too bad. But the hard coating they use is pretty nasty stuff to work with.

Started with some 2.75" or 3" stock, then turned down to 56mm OD with a length of about 4mm, then drilled/tapped the center for a large allen bolt. Then made a cover that bolts to the face of the basket. Indicated .001" runout on the outside, so it was easy to turn after that.

FYI, anyone that has a lathe or lathe experience who wants to borrow this tool is more than welcome to.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    Nice again! Silly question here: Did you try to fit the new basket in the left case to see if 156mm was ok before turning it down to 155mm? Mine definitely needed to be at 154mm, but maybe could have gotten away w/155mm. 156mm was definitely too big as it would have rubbed on the case (by visual inspection).
    BenM likes this.
  11. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    I haven't tried to fit it yet, waiting on the new cushions to fit. That was one thing I was worried about.

The original basket has 4 (or 6, can't remember) places where the "casting" ridge's stick out. Those castings measured 155mm OD, as they are symmetrical from each side of the clutch basket. The other places that don't have this casting measure 152-153mm. I'll grab a pic tonight or tomorrow to better clarify, but I'm thinking as long as it's 155mm, it should be fine.
  12. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Well, turns out you were right! Just tried to fit it last night and 155mm just isn't clearance to fit it through the clutch cover. Either the entire side cover has to come off, or I can just turn it down to 154mm. Looks like it will be 154mm!
    juicypips likes this.
  13. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    Good call. Easier to mess w/the clutch by removing only the small cover rather than the entire larger clutch case cover.

For what it's worth, I pulled my FbF basket out last week to inspect the clutch and rebuild the bottom end. It looks great after 1 year (1,200 miles and 100 hrs) of riding. No sign of notching on the tangs, and the hard adonization is still 100% intact. Definitely a quality product.
    BenM, NCSteve and justintendo like this.
  14. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Right on, that's great to hear. Clutch is back in and working better than before. Still dragging ever so slightly when idling in gear, but the plates looked pretty hammered so I'll be replacing them shortly.

On your Rekluse ZSP, is that Honda model or the Husky specific model with Honda friction plates?
  15. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    My ZSP is specific to the Husky wr250/300, but uses some of the same parts used for ZSPs for some of the more recent 450/510 Italian Husky four strokes based on the labels on the bags that some of the parts came in when I bought the clutch 2 years ago. Rekluse doesn't make the ZSP for wr250/300's anymore (so they say), but I think they likely have all the parts to come up w/a kit for you if you bothered them. They would just need to look up the various part #s and then to go looking around for them. Honda friction plates for CR250s and 500s work in wr250/300s as do KX450 plates I believe. Find plates #s from Pro-X for Husky wr 250/300 and compare them to the KX and CRs. Replace your drive and friction plates simultaneously for the best results. The ZSP is heavier than the oem clutch so it add a little bit of flywheel affect.
    BenM and NCSteve like this.
  16. Laaland Clare Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400e
    Hello Mate. Which HONDA plates would work in my Italian 2009WR250 as cant get Husky Wr ones in Oz. Any help appreciated. Do i need basket , extra parts or will it just fit in .. Thanks Laaland
  17. Laaland Clare Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400e
    Hello. to make an autoclutch for wr250, you are saying I can buy a ZSP for TE450 and turn down the inner 2mm to fit and use Honda frictionplates, so need the existing WR250 basket, ZSA te450 inners turned down and CR friction plates. or can I just turn down the te450 kit basket 2mm and fit that without weakening it to much.. what about for an EXP setup using WR125 or TE450. Thanks