Removing/refitting 510 cylinder liner

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by Krudd, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    I have a 1989 510 magnesium cylinder that is knackered by oxidation, but the liner is like new.
    And then I have an aluminium cylinder with a knackered liner.

I'm wanting to swap liners to make one good cylinder, but I am afraid I may damage the aluminium liner or Nikasil coating when pressing out.

Anyone here with experience of removing/refitting cylinder liner in a liquid cooled Husqvarna four stroke?
    I have removed other liners by heating in an oven but they were air cooled alu cylinders with steel liners. Never done it with alu liners in alu cylinders..
    citronbraucher likes this.
  2. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Update: At least I got the liner out of the magnesium cylinder.
    I cut a slit in the water jacket with a hacksaw and Dremel. The liner pushed out easy then.
    There was lots of oxidation residue stuck inside.. Wouldn't have gotten much cooling with that on there!
    DSC_0689.jpg
    citronbraucher likes this.
  3. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Here's the magnesium cylinder with the slit. Trimmed the inside of it a bit too.
    I used this as a "receiver" for the liner that was to be pressed out of the alu cylinder.

510cyl slit.jpg

Stacked them like this in the press. Here I've already pressed out the liner.
    I first used a metal plate, then the good liner I took out of the magnesium cylinder, to press out the bad liner from the alu cylinder.
    Heated the outside on the alu cyl first.
    I was hesitant to use the good liner to press as I didn't want to "mushroom" the end of it, but it was ok. Didn't need too much pressure to push out.

510cyl 2.jpg

Using the old cylinder as receiver also prevented the upper surface on the alu cylinder from being damaged as it got support all around.

Fitting the liner will hopefully be easy as I remembered we have a freezer at work that goes to minus 70 degrees Celsius.

510cyl 3.jpg
    rancher1 likes this.
  4. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Using my home freezer at minus 20 Celsius for the liner and heating the cylinder water jacket to 150 Celsius in the oven was good enough to refit.

1b.jpg

So that one is sorted. Now I need to figure out how to get all the thick oxide build up out of the head's water jacket..
    I'm thinking to try and loosen it with some mild acidic solution and then bootle brushes on power drill.

2b.jpg

Then the valves will need cleaning and grinding.. This is one of the exhaust valves.
    This bike has less than 1000 kms on the odo but probably not stored in a heated place at times, and apparently with the exhaust valves open.

3b.jpg