Redhead engine 2008 and 2013

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by richgilb, Mar 18, 2014.

1. richgilb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati SS 1100 Evo , Honda VFR 400
    Hi All

I have an 08 TE250 converted to a 310 and it has a redhead. I am thinking of getting a 2013 TE310 for less weight and lower seat height and generally for freshness. I understand the X-Lite introduced in aorund 2010 has a black head and replaced my slightly heavier, torquier redhead. I then notice that the 2013 model has a redhead too and reviews say that the motor for 2013 was made torquier?

Can someone explain what happened in the model's last year? Is it in fact the X-Lite motor that has been tweaked and coincidentally has been given a redhead similar to my 2008 model?

Confused.

Cheers.
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The red head on the x-lites is an improved version for a couple more horsepower. The red head on your 2008 was simply a color change for improved performance by looking faster. The red head x-lite did appear first on the TC models in 2012.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    As far as I know the new red heads have bigger valves over the black heads. Whatever the mods were it actually equates to a big difference. The red heads have quite a bit more power
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Not sure about the final dyno numbers but I can you for certain that my well setup 2012 has just as much butt dyno as a 2014 version. I have ridden them back to back, my TE310 and a TXC 310 red head, on the same trails and couldn't feel any increase in torque or power with the red head. Both had identical gearing as well. I was hell bent on upgrading to a 2014 from my 2012 black head but after test riding one I quickly felt very happy with what I currently have. My 2 cents worth.
  5. richgilb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165,
    Other Motorcycles:

Ha, thanks for the clarity there! It was just confusing reading that the X-lite came out soon after mine, but with a blackhead and everyone said it had less low end torque than the engine it replaced. Then a redhead came out and it had more torque.

I am going to get the latest newest TE310 possible so the 2013 redhead is the most likely outcome. I have found one with 400 miles on it, so this could be the one.

Can I just ask if you know whether the seat height is still the lower height for the 2013 model?
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e

The answer is in bold type in the quote.
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    To be completely fair, the 2014 red head I rode was also very well setup by Hall's. Mine is a TE and the well setup red head was a TXC fully uncorked. I liked it but didn't feel any major difference or improvement between the black head and red head.
  8. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    I rode a well set up 12 that had the 12 pt injector and a $800 Akra exhuast. It ran as good as the stock 13 red head. Put a $1k into the 13 red head and you get a lot more performance as well. Stock vs stock the Red head is a better package
    Drtrider82 likes this.
  9. richgilb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just got a 2013 redhead....so now I wonder if my Arrow silencer off my 2008 model is compatible with the new bike?
  10. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    I personally like the "old" big block motors more, thats why I have one. They definitely feel more torquey off the bottom, id say its the most torquey (for the cc's)single cylinder dirt bike ive ridden. They akso seem to have a higher top speed when using the same gear ratios- just going off anecdotal eveidence discussed here.

Maybe it was my particular tuning but I found the power a bit too abrupt for really slow wet and sloppy stuff. The xlites are better for the tighter stuff than the old 310.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  11. richgilb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone know if the exhaust muffler / silencer fittings are the same for the newer version?
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I know for sure that the headers are different. As far as the mid pipe and muffler I really don't know.
  13. richgilb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    The old silencer is wider at the connection point than on my new bike. The fixing points are excatly the same. So my alloy Arrow 2kg silencer is for sale! £100 plus p&p, anybody?
  14. Sandygeorgia Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ250 F800R
    Hi, I'm rebuilding my 2012 TE310 blackhead and need valves. Official Husky site asks me a ridiculous price.. do you now any other way/other brands that would fit? Thanks