Recent Changes to 449/511 Recovery System

Discussion in 'Zip Ty Racing' started by Huskynoobee, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    For those of you who have recently purchased a ZipTy Oil breather and recovery system for the 449 and 511 you may notice that there is a change to the way the oil goes back to the case.
    drainback_close__91022.1388531610.60.60.jpg

The included installation document may instruct you to run the return line to the Drain Plug as shown in the above picture. You might notice that the fitting is actually sized for the oil screen plug and too small for the drain.

There has been an update to the system which has proven to work much better by running the recovered oil to the oil screen plug directly in front of the drain plug, or the middle plug if you prefer. This is where the oil pump draws oil from the case, which will eliminate the back up of oil being pushed into the airbox during sustained high RPM running. Please make sure to connect the return line to the correct position on the left side case and disregard the instructions for replacing the drain plug with the return line.

If you have any other questions or would like to update your current installation (like I should since I've got the very first generation that returns to the filler cap) don't hesitate to call the shop for more details and pricing.
  2. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Huskynoobee -

I don't see the file attachment.

So far, this kit has been the perfect solution to a nasty problem. Thanks Tinkin -

Thank you very much for the update information.

RR
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will see about getting a better pic of the correct, updated install and post here.
  4. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    Picture is hard to view. Is there any harm with how the are routed now to the drain plug? Do you leave the screen in place when moving to the middle plug?
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    No harm with the drain return, it's just an issue when it's held WFO for too long as oil will build up in the tank faster than it returns to the case. I still run the Gen 1 design with the oil going to the filler cap on the right side and have no problems. Ty came up with the new location to eliminate the oil back up issue. Yes the screen stays in place.

I snagged that pic of the ZipTy site and didn't realize it would stay so small. I will be at the shop this week and see about a newer pic with the updated install.
    La Flama Blanca likes this.
  6. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    Thanks for the quick reply! I ride 95% percent street.. Most of the time at WFO lol. I think this is something I will look into while doing next oil change.
  7. DrRobotenstein Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR511
    I'd also say that while my kit works well, I do still get oil in the airbox at time, especially when at the supermoto track. Anxious to see the pic and learn how to get updated parts to update!
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ty is going to get me a pic and will also be working on updated install instructions. I'll post here when I get them.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    For those of you who have the second generation drain back setup with the oil return going to the drain plug, and want to switch to the third gen return to the pump screen forward of the drain plug, here is the fix.

IMG_5903.JPG

This fitting is all you need. Just 21.99! Now available on the website and over the phone.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/oil-return-fitting-3g-3rd-generation/
  10. vetxracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Honda CRF 450 R
    Can you move the second generation fitting over to the middle?
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    No, the drain plug is smaller diameter and different thread than the pump screen. That's the idea with offering the 3rdGen fitting. You keep the same hose and AN adaptor. You could even lay the bike on its side and do the swap without draining the oil if you like.
  12. DrRobotenstein Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR511
    I bought the new 3rd gen fitting. Went to install it today. I realized 2 apparent problems:

1) The second generation fitting appears to be impossible to remove without removing the engine. I remember the now that the original 2nd gen install instructions said to use the 90 fitting threaded onto the drain hole fitting to wrench it tight, and to use locktite. Now, it seems there isn't enough clearance from the case to get a socket on the fitting. And the frame is in the way making it so you can't get a wrench on it. The only thing I can think of is maybe I could use a bolt extractor to get the second gen fitting out. But if that doesn't actually work then I'd be boned. I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion.

2) If you used the new fitting, it appears as though it may not be possible to get a wrench on the 90 degree fitting afterwords. Again, looks like the frame would be in the way.

Has anyone else replaced the 2nd gen for the 3rd gen yet and can comment?
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow, wish I could offer some magic solution. I still run 1st Gen. Perhaps you could heat it up? You didn't use Red locktite right?
  14. DrRobotenstein Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR511
    The instructions said to use blue loctite. I'm not that worried about that part. Should I be?
    Its more the impossibility of getting a wrench or socket on the 2nd gen fitting.

Has ZipTy not actually done the 2nd to 3rd gen swap on a bike yet?
    Even if you haven't done a swap, you must have installed a 3rd gen on a bike. Can you confirm whether or not you can get a wrench on the Jegs 90 fitting when using the 3rd gen?

Also, you said previously that you could share some pictures of the install. Do you have any pictures yet?
  15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    you ought to be aware that you're asking some fairly pointed questions to Huskynoobee... and he does not actually work for ZTR; he is doing us a favor by acting as a liaison, for lack of a better term. Maybe try a phone call to the shop. Because they do not have a huge "internet presence" like, say, Parts Unlimited- it's a specialty race shop with a handful of people.

Let us know what you find out, that is if no one else chimes in.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have been busy with my regular job and have not been by the shop. I would like to test it and see what you're up against. I am not 100% sure, but I'm not aware of anyone bringing in a bike to do the swap. So you're kind of the pioneer in sharing your experience with the change over Dr. R.

I believe it was you who suggested the 3rd Gen fitting should be available separately. Sorry you are having so much trouble. Can you share some pictures of what you're up against?
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  17. DrRobotenstein Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR511
    Trenchcoat, you're right, I may have come off a little crusty. I didn't mean to be rude or anything. I apologize if I offended anyone.
    I did have the impression that Huskynoobee worked for ZipTy. So thanks for the clarification. Good to know.

Huskynoobee, to be honest, I'm not sure I'll go forward until I know someone else did and all is well. If I have time I will try and take some pictures to demonstrate the challenges I see.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. DrRobotenstein Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR511
    So, I got some pictures. I couldn't really get a good shot showing difficulty in removing the gen 2 fitting. So ignoring that for now.

Here's a couple of shots showing what I'm worried about with the gen 3 fitting. The way the gen 2 fitting is now, you can just get a wrench on the Jeggs 90 (up through the "Y" in the frame) and turn it enough to get the wrench on the next set of flats. If I move the return to the filter directly ahead of the current position, I don't think I'll be able to get a wrench on the Jeggs 90. It looks like the frame is in the way to get at it from any direction.

20161109_214017.png

20161109_214215.png
  19. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I'll throw a couple of ideas out there (my son has a 511 which I used to work on a little):
    • if you remove the gear shifter would that add room? not real fun on a 449/511 but doable
    • would a crow's foot wrench work?
    • if you removed the two oil screens, could you get a wrench in from the left?
    • would removing the flywheel sidecover help? it's not that hard of a job
    • do you think a cutting torch would go through aluminum? <jk!>

BTW, I'd go with a propane torch & a chisel before I'd use an EZ-Out (<-semi-evil)

good luck.