1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Rebuilding remote reservoir Ohlins

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Moe, Mar 27, 2015.

1. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Anyone know who I can contact to get these manuals uploaded to the tech reference section?
    justintendo likes this.
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Try to PM Coffee who is N°1, I'm just N°6!
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sent Coffee a PM, thanks.
  4. Charles Slayton Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 Husky CR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    198? Husky CR 250
    SteveJ: I am rebuilding a set of 1981(?) Ohlins on a Husky WR 430. Please give me the shock oil type and capacity. Would be greatly appreciated!!
    My email is: gpbiker@hotmail.com
  5. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Charles, sent you an email with the manual. I've only used genuine Ohlins shock fluid. Capacity is not listed, but the manual explains how much fluid to add during the rebuild. 1 liter is sufficient to do both shocks.
    Steve
  6. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sent Coffee a PM, but no reply. Have several manuals to upload, who do I try next?
    Thanks, Steve
  7. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    any quality suspension fliud of 5 weight will do .

do you buy ford oil just for the engine in the ford ?

why do you need a jig to press the seal head in ? is it not held in with a circlip ? with an o ring as the only tricky part
  8. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not meaning to infer that you cannot use other fluid, just stating that I have only used Ohlins fluid in mine, mainly because it would be too much work if I found that the shock performance was not good after trying another fluid. The Ohlins manual does not state what weight of fluid they used in the shock. I stated in a previous post that Ohlins fluid was the only way to go unless you talk to someone who regularly services these shocks.
    I built the jig to press down the seal head based the service manual instructions, wasn't sure how hard it was to depress the seal head while removing the circlip. The tool is overbuilt, as it is not that hard to press the seal head down. I would make the same tool with just one turn buckle and a short lever on top to hold down on while removing the circlip (as stated in a post above). The idea for the tool came from this article.

Steve

Attached Files:

9. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

SteveJ

Which bike do you prefer 83 500cr or 84 Honda CR500?
  10. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    can,
    Thanks for the question. The short answer is that I prefer the Husky, a lot. I'll post the reasons in a new thread in a couple of days. Good looking 500 in your avatar.
    Steve
  11. MattCR250 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR250M Elsinore
    Hey Steve
    Any chance of a copy of the Ohlins remote reservoir manual ? I was able to download the piggyback manual , parts list and the article on tuning, but the links for the remote manual aren’t working

Thanks
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I'm glad to see that more and more people are working on their Ohlins! A Husky with a fresh/correct set is a dream to ride.

The Maxima heavy shock oil is very close in numbers to the correct Ohlins oil. That's what I use on all my Ohlins rebuilds.

Ohlins USA in North Carolina still sells most of the services parts, and their prices are usually the lowest. Call and ask for Jerry W. I prefer to buy item-by-item from Ohlins USA rather than the pre-packaged "rebuild kits" that are out there. Much cheaper buying just what you need.

Oh... If you are opening an old set for the first time, it likely still has the multi-piece seal head, which is a metal-rubber-metal-rubber sandwich, wedged against the circlip, and can be VERY difficult to compress to get that circlip out. THAT is why you might need the jig. When you buy your new parts, you will automatically get the upgraded one-piece seal head. It is light-years ahead of the old design, and future servicing is thereafter like any modern shock.

I'm happy to help with these.
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  13. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Matt, sorry for the long delay. Hadn't been on in a while. The file seems to have mysteriously vanished into the ethernet. The original is in my old laptop which crashed. I'm trying to retrieve a number of files from it, so if I succeed I'll let you know.

Steve
  14. MattCR250 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR250M Elsinore
    Thanks Steve
  15. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles: