1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Rebuilding a1985 cr500... got some questions

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by TahoeHusky, Mar 30, 2015.

1. TahoeHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Honda CR125 , 2000 Honda CR80
    I rarely have kick back issues and I always run chevron supreme (its what i have near me) 91 octane with some good quality octane boost and maxima castor 927 mixed 32:1. Ill maybe return it to stock timing and im definitely going to lower my gearing too. I was just reading a thread on here about how your premix ratio should change with the rpm you ride at and it got me thinking that my castor at 32:1 could save me trouble down the way. When I look in from my exhaust port, my cylinder doesnt look perfect, it has a few mild scores (probably from when i lost all my coolant and it started to overheat), but i think that with the castor and good gas I shouldnt have any issues inside. I ride kinda all rpms but with a motor this big you arent in the tippity top rpm for long, so i think my mix and oil are sufficient and should make her last.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    yes, i have been running synthetic/castor blend oil at 40:1 for a long time, engines hold up great. im not a fan of octane boosters, ive heard and read many places they dont work well. ive recently switched from ethanol 93 to ethanol-free 91 cut with 110 leaded. after rejetting im liking the results..
    the oil you run is tied to rpm you run...hence why racebikes run 32:1 and trials bikes run little oil at all. spooging and carbon buildup is mostly from oil type and jetting
  3. TahoeHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah the 500 doesnt seem to mind what i run. It will power thru it all. I really see the effect of a heavy ratio like 32:1 and a heavier oil like castor, in a smaller bore like my honda 125 that also has a powervalve to make matters worse. I recently rode the rubicon trail on my 125 (i rode it, instead of the 500 because its lighter and easier to handle and im more familiar with it, my buddy was on a yamaha wr400) and as you probably know, the rubicon is very slow going, very rocky terrain therefor i was never able to really "rev out" and clear the top end, except for a few short strait sections. So the bike was acting really 'loaded up' on the top end. We had to abuse our clutches to hell on the way back up the most gnarly sections and that along with barely any top end power made for tons of spooge, smoke, a few times where we dumped our bikes, and a smoked clutch. Even my four stroke buddy smoked his clutch. The bike ran great after a few high speed runs to blow it out. My 125 is freshly rebuilt top and bottom and is jetted perfectly and even tho the mikuni carb is a bit finicky, once u get it the air screw etc tuned perfect it runs fantasitc. It only has issues after a lottt of slow stuff. I bet if i ran 50-1 or 80-1 it wouldve been better on the rubicon. Its interesting how the ratios can be tuned for jetting and riding conditions. I never thought of premix like that.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I like a lean ration to leave more gas per charge. seems to work ok. ive run the 400 at 80 to 1 and higher for a few years now on high quality oil with no drama.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i ran a few bottles of the 927, was very dirty compared to klotz super techniplate, almost like a full on castor like klotz benol which really is a racing only oil. i have never been on the rubicon but not really ever had problems loading up if jetted right.
  6. TahoeHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah the 927 is pretty dirty but i like it just because its the thickest stuff. Makes me feel better about railing it at high rpms. My 125 never really "loaded up" with other oils, but it does it more and worse with the castor oil. And especially if u arent at high rpms. But thats really it, if you're riding it like its supposed to be ridden, screaming, then it is crisp and perfect throttle response. The 500 never "loads up" even with castor.
  7. TahoeHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey guys small update. Took off my kickstand because it was tweaked and grinding into my swing arm. So I removed it and at the same time I greased my linkage bearings. I also did an oil change. A week or two ago I put 13-53 gearing, and the bike currently rips. Here are some videos of messing around on her. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

View: https://youtu.be/qzK_BLAwUWI

View: https://youtu.be/-GW7xAzYbjA
    DaveM and 86 400 XC like this.