1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Rebuild on a 1983 XC 250

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Down Under XC, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The bearings only fail to years of neglect. I would think cleaning and lubrication should occur twice a year for muddy or silty runs and once a year for dryer normal service.
  2. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi Surprize, yes interesting about the springs and rates, bit of a black art 30 yrs ago. But these days knowledge counts for a bit and I have not seen any data on spring rates at all on this site.
    I had the modern husky (WR 165) all set up correctly and it is a beautiful bike to ride. As a result of that I always use a firmer front spring (0.44kg/mm) and stiffer rears.

I am hoping that now it is listed at least it will be a source for others.

Front forks springs are also being replaced as well on the husky with some Racetech FRSP 3452 in the 0.44kg/mm rate, which suits riders around 95-105kg and this is the softest spring available but can be mated with the standard spring for a slightly softer ride. The racetech site is a very hand tool for this.
    Spent part of the day doing more fibreglass repairs on the air cleaner (clamp arrangement this time), and straightening the DLS reverse thread adjusting shaft which was bent. According to the racetech site the standard springs (probably when new) were rated at 0.38kg/mm.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    nice to know all this stuff..make sure you get that brake rod spot on, it makes all the difference btw a crappy no feel brake and sharp front stopper
  4. Action Jonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    xc250
    I might be missing something here but how can you mate the Racetech springs with the standard spring? Do you mean standard rear spring?
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
  6. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi Action Jonny,
    It might just be the language I am using, so here goes.

They are not meant as a match.

Fork springs are generally individually rated based on bike, type of work, speed, experience of rider and more than anything the weight of the rider.

Standard OEM fork springs were rated by racetech as being 0.38kg/mm on their site. Unsure what spring or year but sounds plausible to me. OEM springs from KDX and KTM of the day were around this.

Current available after market springs that fit the Husqvarna 40mm forks circa 82 - 87 from racetech have a spring rate of 0.44kg/mm and also heavier rates are available, but not lighter rates between 0.38 - 0.44kg/mm.

When I stated "mated", this is what I meant. left fork leg has a 0.44kg/mm spring rate. Right fork leg has a fork spring rate of 0.38kg/mm.
    Overall result is 0.41kg/mm or slightly softer ride.

I would prefer a PM if this does not make sense, to not hijack the original thread.
    thanks
    Down under XC
  7. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi Surprize,
    re front brakes.
    Well I sat and looked at rod and reverse thread and pondered, how do you set this up. then went looking on site and found an article on DLS arcing. Thought I might be able to disable one brake shoe, spin wheel until just chattering, then do same with other brake shoe but alas you can't . This will take some learning.

The alternate is a disc brake front end from an 84 CR that I have, which uses the single brembo.

I don't know what to make of the akron rims and date stamps. My rear wheel on 83XC says 2/84 this was the original wheel and the disc brake wheel has 10/83. I suppose there is a valid explanation.

I have two legs with caliper attachment and also two non disc DLS fork legs. Thought process was to have both brake set ups available, but prefer disc for wet events. It is a safety issue as far as I am concerned after riding moderns. But recognise the DLS is probably a fall back position if caliper/ master cylinder failure.
    DLS is non grooved as well. Do you have grooved and presume they are available??
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the trick with DLS is to have the shoes set at zero so both are flat on the cams. norm at bendigo brake and clutch can reline your shoes with good liner and lathe the shoes to your hub. he did my back brake and it is so much better than the std shoes. about to get my fronts done. EBC make grooved shoes but unless your racing, easy to put a centre groove with a hacksaw and then some angle grooves to channel water out.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I like the brighter color white looks awesome.
    arbortodd2 and dnietsche like this.
  10. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi guys, just an observation after spending a lot of time trying to get air box and filter clamp in right position. What I discovered is that to position air cleaner on rubber boot the best and easiest way was to invert filter and insert with mouth to the rear and once within box rotate thru 90 degrees and fit to rubber boot. This way the shape of cage and filter follows the basic shape of lid and drops in relatively easy.
    Hope this makes sense.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ill try it nxt time...the sides of the airbox have shrunk in...makes it tight to get into the abx
  12. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Nice job. I'm going to modify my chain guides with the wear inserts. good tip! keep up the good work. mikedi
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    That's the fork spring I use in the 40mm forks, installed with 3-5mm preload.
  14. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Hey DownUnder, as I am stripping my 83 XC 250 it appears that the front downtube is bent. At first I thought "oh no" but after studying on it a bit, it may be designed that way to provide clearance for the exhaust pipe. The tube has a slight S bend and doesn't seem to affect the alignment of the frame. Hard to tell from your pics but is the bend part of the design or am I just screwed? Your build is coming along nicely, by the way.
  15. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    it's not bent, that's the design to clear the exhaust port..
  16. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    That's a relief. It did look to be something other than a random bend. Wanted to be sure before putting $$ into powdercoating.
  17. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah it's a shocker,,, that's the old "dude your frame's bent" head rush!! 27750233_10215882778601794_725146858044776871_n.jpg 27867679_10215882778921802_3825163996330810953_n.jpg 27867679_10215882778921802_3825163996330810953_n.jpg
  18. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Yep, that's it. Nice build in progress there!
  19. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks, it's a fun project for sure... always wanted one of these since back in the day.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    dont feel bad...weve all been there at some point. i dont think you could bend that tube riding if you tried.