Rear Rack as stiffener

Discussion in 'TR650' started by rww, Jul 22, 2013.

1. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    [IMG][IMG] This is what I did...bolts to rear plastic rack and to subframe/sw Motech bag mounts
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    :confused: Wish I could make a comment, but really cannot tell what you did because the pictures are so small.
  3. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    As long as your bolted into the subframe (all metal) not bolted to any plastic at all,,,your good to go...
  5. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 3 bolts to the rear go into the plastic rack the 2 to the front will have alloy spacers and 100mm bolts that go into the sub frame.....so the flat 3/16 plate is across the entire plastic rack sandwiched and thru bolted. I have to powder coat it yet and find the long 8mm bolts but almost there.
  6. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Did you make the rack? Or, did you modify a commercially available one?
  7. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG]

This is my design That a friend helped me with. He has access to a water jet cutter so we got together and (HIM mostly) made it into a cad file for the cutter. Then he bent it up. I will turn the spacers, missing in this photo, and powder coat it.
  8. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I think that looks like a pretty nice design. Good utility and looks nice too.
  9. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Oh, very nice! Is the CAD file something that can be shared? In other words could you send the file to a shop in my area for them to make the rack? If so, ask your friend what something like this would typically cost to produce. Also is that steel or aluminum?:applause:
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sandwiched implies something is underneath, is there something underneath the OEM rack?
  11. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I had the same question. It looks like something underneath that was sandwiched and an integral part of the structure would add a lot of strength.
  12. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    RWW,

I like your rack much better. I already have the BRMoto saddlebag rack -- will your design work with them? Does your friend have any interest in producing these?
  13. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a nut and washer on the bottom not a large plate. From the photos of the failure of the plastic on ADV attached to the roto pak it appeared to me the this was caused by an up and down vertical motion. By bolting thru the sub frame at the seat end and attaching the rack with the 3 holes at the rear I believe that the up-down cycle wold be greatly reduced or eliminated as the holes/bolts fit tight and the plate acts as a stressed skin stopping the down motion in the cycle.....time will tell. I can get more if someone would like one. You would have to be on your own to fit it...find spacers ect. I make parts for my bikes that fit my set ups, I have a lathe and mill, so if you would like I can get a price.

Rod
  14. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:

It is made from 3/16 aluminum plate, follows the rack seat shape. The 2 holes at the front are over the front rack mount holes and for my set up need .840 tall spacers. So to see if this will work project the top plane of the rack to see if its lower or at the same height.
  15. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    RWW,

If you wouldn't mind I'd like a price and in the meantime, when I get by to where my bike is I'll try to determine from your pictures if there's any potential interference with BRMoto's side racks.

thanks,

John
  16. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I'd be very interested in a price for this. It looks great and would make the rear rack actually usable for heavier loads, in my opinion.
  17. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    If we can get a group of 6 guys to commit to buy one, that is the best price break, I can get them made for $120 each. You will have to get 3 short socket head cap screws M8x1.25X25 W/ lock nuts and washers and 2 M8X1.25X100 flat socket cap screws. I ordered the long ones from McMaster Carr 2.65 each and they are the hard ones to find.....just have to wait a little. You can paint or powder coat them to suit your colors.

Rod
  18. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Just PM'd you on it. Sounds good to me. Thanks.
  19. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have to be out of town this weekend. When I get back I will take some photos of how it works and what I did to make it fit my set up.
  20. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Rod,

I'm interested, but need to have some dimensions, including the length of, and the angle of the bends that might interfere with the BRMoto side racks.