1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Real World Differences In 1986 400 Wr Vs 1986 400 Xc Vs 1987 430

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by svttodd, Aug 11, 2020.

1. svttodd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    cr250r
    I am looking to get into owning a late 80's vintage Husqvarna. I am currently looking at three bikes that are all three in about the same general condition... a 1986 400 WR, a 1986 400 XC, and a 1987 430. I was wondering if any one of these bikes has serious problems that are inherent to that particular year or model? Are parts any easier or harder to get for any one of these particular models? The bike would be mostly tight woods ridden by an older conservative rider (no motocross). Are these three models pretty reliable bikes once they are sorted out? If not, what are the most reliable mid to late 80's Husky's? Please let me know. Thanks. -Todd
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the general improvements in the rear suspension linkage from 86-87 is big, the fork seal improvement is bigger
    the tank issue of discoloration is there on an 86 and 87 used a black tank and white shrouds so they are easier to keep looking clean
    there is a slight power advantage to the 430 over the 400 but it's not huge just a better power delivery, oh and the front brakes on the 87 are light years ahead of 86
    if they are in similar condition choose the 87
    I have owned 13 85, 86 and 87's
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    These things were for the original purchacer to enter events. They might be reliable if usage was minimal. Improvements were made on the starting gearing, not sure it held up better. The 85-86 linkage has lots of parts. The 87-88 design is similar to much more things. The mono shock bikes give wonderful space for the ankles but the whole area around the swingarm pivot can be or go bad. No head steady mount perhaps. I would suggest a itc shock model.

Is the 87 a 10 or 12 inch travel suspension? That is real world significant.
  4. svttodd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    cr250r
    Once squared away are these bikes inherently reliable? I realize they are old and probably used for their intended purpose for many years, but once they are refurbished a little, are these particular models reliable enough to trust out in the woods without a bunch of daily tinkering and breakage? I am looking for something old, different, and fun for some woods riding with my kid, and maybe an occasional vintage hare scramble. I have a huge fondness for this era of Huskies from watching them race as a kid in the 80's. I have owned many bikes over the years, and I am debating on getting into the late 80's Huskies.
  5. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys

I own all those bikes pretty much, it's all i ride.
    I ride alone and go way deep in the woods with out any concerns, i ride with guys on new bikes and the bikes today are unreliable at times.
    Bikes are bikes, prep it and service it like anything and go ride. The bikes are fun and those have the best motors they made at the end for the Swedes.

I have seen the bikes you are looking at, they look decent..
    The real world difference is how much better brakes are 30 years later.
    ajcmbrown, everfree and 2premo like this.
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    if properly maintained they are as reliable as they were new
    and there are some upgrades you can do to make even more reliable
    I rode mine in tough single track and way off the beaten path while never giving it a thought
    I never had a breakdown!, that said,,,,,, maintenance is important
    86 400 XC and everfree like this.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    If you actually break down in the forest it would be more likely you ripped the water cooling or crashed and landed on something. If you keep an eye on how much metal flakes are on the magnet I would say you are pretty safe.

I bought the 83 xc500 from a friend in 92, he had bought a new clutch cover but that defect is probably not an issue for the models you are discussing because they added another fastner. He got an 96 honda 500 and the other guy we went riding with got an 86 husky and went ktm in 92. He had a broken case half and not where I find them at the rear where the swingarm goes.

The starter gears will wear out, they made some improvement around 84 but it seems they forgot to heat treat the inside bore of the gear that goes on the kick start shaft. Can't say what % of them. I did a thread of how to fit part of a shell bearing in it. For the six speed of the models discussed here the second gear on the input shaft on dis assembled engines seems to either have tooth face or engagement surface defects. Then it rubs against another and engages with a third. It kind of depends on what one is comfortable with. I know Husky had that gear during the BMW era, I got one. There are favored places to get parts on here, last water pump impeller the dog chewed was $10 see what they are now. the water pump area is another thing, here everyone uses anti freeze so I have not had the issues I read of on the internet.

The bearing pockets get so that there is no interference for all of the ones in the transmission, the crank ones have steel inserts and don't get loose. The bearing at the sprocket and the one with the groove and ring behind the clutch are the worst. The bore for the clutch actuating half round thing is just that a bore in magnesium, not a shaft with a bearing on each end. I don't really see how maintance relates to the things I am typing.

I probably liked the 83xc500 best like the power curve better than the water cooled 430 bikes and the pipe is much harder to smash. By the time the ridges wear off the foot pegs it was one kind of major thing after another. A sensible person likely would pick a 250 anyway you were supposed to eventually realize that if you were an aa rider. Or so they would say, the ones that did seminars.
  8. svttodd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    cr250r
    Thanks for the great info guys. I am REALLY thinking of picking one of these up. The same guy owns all three, so I will go see what he has to say and what they look like in person. If they are gone then I will continue searching. Once I get one, I will post on here and get all the proper updates and fix-it tricks. It's either that OR get another 2009-2014ish WR300. My favorite bike that I ever owned and should not have ever sold. But, I've 'been there, done that' so maybe it's time to begin the vintage addiction!!
    justintendo, 2premo and 86 400 XC like this.
  9. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Just don’t do what most on here would and buy all three......or do haha
    DeathFromAbove and 2premo like this.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    you say that like owning too many bikes is a bad thing
    lol
    DeathFromAbove and 87husky500xc like this.
  11. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Never a bad thing at all. But with many things good or bad it can and will consume you and all of the resources haha
    DeathFromAbove and 2premo like this.
  12. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Ha yep, I've got too many. Like others here that's all I ride. Just too much fun once you understand them and appreciate them.
    Nothing like the 430, although I do love my 250 too, just more shifting.
    I prefer the 87-88 years, best suspension by far. And I prefer the XC model for the longer travel 12", even in the tight stuff.
    DeathFromAbove, 2premo and 86 400 XC like this.
  13. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Agree, a great year
    20200901_121615.jpg
    everfree and DeathFromAbove like this.
  14. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    I have two 85 and two 88 models, all great bikes, my suggestion would be whichever one you buy, go through it thoroughly, paying particular attention to several areas, as mentioned above remove, inspect and repair (swingarm cracks are common on neglected bikes) if needed, the swingarm/linkage area, maybe fit a 90's 610 pivot bolt with a grease nipple, give a couple of pumps after each ride, remove the clutch cover (leave kickstart lever installed) and replace the small needle bearings in the kickstart gear and the idler gear behind the clutch, do not inspect, replace them, check for cracks and water pump corrosion, 87 on models had a aluminium clutch cover, earlier LC models had a magnesium cover which rotted very quickly, but I'd be very surprised if there are any still fitted to bikes, check ignition timing, too much advance can cause kickback issues which can break covers or cases, e.g if the spec is 2.2mm BTDC, bring it back to 1.8-2.0 for safety, check ignition earth/ground points, maybe run a separate earth wire from the stator plate up to the coil mount, check for inlet manifold cracks/splits, also carb to airbox boot. Only a couple of these are model specific issues, clutch covers, needle rollers etc, everything else applies to any 30+ year old competition motorcycle.
    Tony.
    markt2 likes this.
  15. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    On 87-88 bikes check the bottom of the shock (fork shaped instead of an eyelet) as they can crack too. Also the rear hub on 87-88 bikes has less reinforcement behind the sprocket and I have seen the tabs for the sprocket bolts cracked. Seems like Tony covered the rest. It’s not uncommon for the radiator mounts on the radiator itself to be broke either. Have two of them that aren’t bent and weren’t crashed hard that the mounts broke on.
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  16. mjb0724 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430, 09 TE250
    i'm 68 i have an 87 430-- power is awesome but issues ive encountered are clutch discs are aluminum-- s/b steel as of old... l bought a spare head and welded in a tube to put in a compression release== very glad i did that- makes starting a breeze!