Quickshifter for SMR?

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Sinkers_husky, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR600, Monster 696M, M109R
    Hi all fellow SMR riders.

Wondering if anyone has fitted a quickshifter on their SMR? Ive seen the youtube clip of the PC one but looks like a real backyard job. Obviously usual push/pull can be difficult with our gear lever set up. Wondering if anyone on CH has used one of the universal ones available out there and pros/cons with the set up? Ive seen plenty of people comment on quickshifters in their 'Im gonna do' posts but not much further regarding actually product/installation.

Cheers in anitcipation.
  2. equalz Husqvarna
    AA Class

i have starlane quick shifter on my 450smrr
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I am another "in progress" member. Got the quickshifter ordered, following the same as the guy on youtube. Just extend the rod and attach it wherever possible and bend it to clear whatever you need to. Quick simple honestly. Pick a engine/frame bolt, pull it out, get a longer one, install quickshifter on that end, then run the rod down to the lever, drill/tap a hole in the lever, possibly a standoff for clearance and so the rod doesn't need to be so bent. Program, with your power commander....done deal!

In theory.
  4. DErZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    511 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1 5VY
    I was chatting to that chap in the video with the quick shifter and he sent me some pix of his install. See below

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    bump this up.

Looks Like I may be able to make the quickshifter work without any serious modifications.

Just drill a hole in the aluminum engine mount, and gear lever. I don't have my swingarm or frame guard on so hope my measurements are right...

The problem I am facing is that if you mount the rod too far forward on the gear lever you do not have enough travel in the quick shifter to allow up and downshifts. You actually bottom out the quick shifter by using all of its travel.....It is very close how I have it, it may hinder downshifts into first, but not sure yet. I really wish I had everything together so I could test it!
  6. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I need a longer top bolt it seems, which I will pickup at OSH tonight. So far I had to cut the frame guard off at the front where it clips behind the case saver. Drilled a hole in the aluminum frame mount, I went all the way through because I do not have any taps here that are metric. So just use a longer bolt. I also started to grind the case saver, but realize this is not necessary once its all tight it clears by a mm or so. I think it is going to work very well actually. Oh I also drilled a hole in the gear lever. The power commander shifter comes with a decent drill bit and both pieces are aluminum. I don't know if the travel and adjustment will all work yet, but lets say I did it all right, this is quite compact and you can install it in about 15-20 minutes.
  7. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Oh and yes before anyone mentions it, I will have to unbolt the upper bolt to get the oil filter out. That actually does not bother me one bit, but may be a deal breaker for some. I think its better than the really long and extended linkage from the other pictures.
  8. DErZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    511 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1 5VY
    Well done mate, look forward to hearing how it rides once fitted.
  9. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes very interested to hear your opinions on the results.
  10. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    can anyone get the part number on that guys shifter?

Mine DOES NOT have enough travel to work on the SMR/TE 511/449 platform. I have my hole about 1" in front of his, but either way that is about 30mm of travel and the quick shifter instructions say a max of 11mm....
  11. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Looks like they are using a atv shifter (the pics above) but I have an idea I may try. Grind the threads out of the end link so that the shifter body can slide inside downward a few more mm....Then when you shift up the but will contact the end link in set position and then compress the shifter and shift up.

Best I can do! Lets try it ;)
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I am a idiot....not sure how I thought that would pan out... :lol:
  13. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm lovin mine. Still dialing in the cut time, but works great so far.
    Photo Apr 07, 6 14 56 PM.jpg
    511SF likes this.
  14. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

that is an awful lot of work , when the better units are a small box and in the shift lever itself, along with a switch on the bar . much easier install, more practical too.
  15. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Whats the difference between a switch on the bar or actually using the clutch? If you already have a PCV this is the way to go. The shifting speed is unreal and actually helps put the power to the ground faster. I didn't believe it until I raced with it last weekend, Bikes that would usually pull on me in long straights were not able to do so. Our bikes are already under powered so any little bit helps, and a few hundred dollars for this is well spent in my eyes.
  16. DErZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    511 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1 5VY
    R.Stephens can you advise what bits you need to fit the quick shifter? ie do you buy the quick shifter and all the bits come in the box? also I take it yours is a push quickshifter.
  17. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Push style shifter has everything you need. Part number 4-121 was the kit I used. I just tapped the shifter and tapped the center of the bolt on the frame. The rest is all adjustments and dialing in the system. I did some testing and one race with the quickshifter and after a few adjustments it works great. I'm still dialing in the shift/ cut out point and duration of cut out but I'm very happy with the results so far.
    DErZ likes this.
  18. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent lads, this was the type of discussion I was hoping to achieve. Have ordered the star lane NRG type which should mount straight on the shift pedal with little modification. Will keep you all posted with the developments once it arrives!
  19. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Does the PC quickshifter give a run down on how to adjust the cut point?
  20. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Be sure to get the offroad/atv model. Learn from my 200$ mistake. They will not sell it separately to me so I am unsure how they are ordering them. I may just go directly to translogic and buy one. (that is where the Dynojet sensors are made).

I am stuck with the standard quick shifter unfortunately for awhile. It is totally adjustable btw.