Question/idea regarding 02 sensor...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kyle01, Sep 4, 2014.

1. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    I'm just wondering out loud... I don't run a catalytic converter on my truck- but I do have an 02 sensor- which I had to space off about 2" in order to trick the ecu into not throwing a code (which worked). This got my gears turning. If I space my 02 sensor off on the husky... It would give the ecu a false "lean" signal...no? Maybe that would be something worth trying?
    glitch_oz likes this.
  2. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Not really what they are designed for(used in 2 sensor system before and after cat converter) but a really good idea if someone had the time and a dyno to figure out the correct length..
    On a whim I looked at the o2 bung on my stock headpipe vs the bung on my GPR single system....
    the bung on the GPR is about 1/2" longer....
  3. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I used a "spark plug defouler" from the auto parts store on my truck. I had to mill the end open a bit so the sensor would screw in. It's worked a charm for me (like you said, 2 sensor system, this is the second sensor in the case of my truck). It clearly has an effect- as without it my CEL was always on.
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    You could well be on to something there....I tried to get an O2 sensor eliminator from some guys in Greece who make those things for other bikes for years.
    Nick reckons there's no way to do this via the usual resistor method.
    Spacing out the sensor makes sense.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. I was hoping to get a little more input but I think I'll give it a go. Only takes a few minutes and the results should be pretty readily apparent. I've got a few questions though regarding open/closed loop operation. I believe in cars (using 2 sensors) the upstream is only used during cold start and doesn't do anything once operating temp is reached (richens AFR while it's in the equation). Since the TR has only one I assume it's constantly looking for the stochiometric ratio and tries to keep it in some acceptable range?? So it also makes me think- if it's seeing LESS 02, is it going to assume rich (less oxygen) and have the opposite effect?

I guess we'll see. I'd like to be able to read the AFR's
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Makes sense.

???
    If it sees LESS O2, the mix is lean and it triggers the ECU to add fuel.
    If it sees plenty O2, the mix is rich and it'll trigger the ECU to lean out....and thus is the problem (unless it's in the "choke/ cold" phase, as told by the IAT sensor).

Perhaps the crudest test of that would be to remove the O2 sensor and taping it to the bike somewhere, keeping it out of the O2 stream altogether...(popping a temp plug into the thread , of course) ??

Would be interesting to see what happens if there's no O2 reading at all. Engine would have to be at normal operating temp, though...otherwise the "choke"-logic of the ECU would skew the results.
  7. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    No reading at all will prompt the ECU to go into "limp home" mode. It runs like crap. I tried it.
  8. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    i just whipped up a spacer at my shop, i'm going to make sure my plugs are gapped at .6mm and throw it in this afternoon. i'm running the eruption mod too, which seems to work fine until the ECU tunes it out in 3k miles or so...
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Here is what you can do. Just drill a little hole before the probe, and inject air in. Just a steady stream. This will richen the idle and barely affect higher rpm. Problem solved.
  10. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    sure, same effect as an exhaust leak upstream of the 02 sensor... I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of my spacer (near where the tip of the sensor is gonna be living) i'll try it with the setscrew in and out of the hole.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Thanks....saves me playing around with that today.:thumbsup:
  12. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

How did it work out?
    Strange beasts we ride. Some have stalling and hesitation problems. Mine hasn't missed a beat the last tank or so and it was hot and humid on today's ride. I did install the Eruption mod when new and I ride it more like a 2stroke.
  13. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    When I had the safr wideband AFR gauge installed I could see the ECU adjusting the mixture as I rode. It started leaning the fuel mixture as it was getting hot from a couple wide open runs. I think are ECU's are advanced for our bikes. Just my opinion.
  14. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just pulled in from a camping trip on the lead sled... Put 500 miles or so on so decided not to mess with it before heading out. Funny thing- no stalls in 3 days of back roads, fully loaded with gear (and a 120lb pillion) Temps were mild- low 70's and not humid. I ran 91 octane the whole trip. The ONLY thing she did (3 times) was as others have described it- just cut out for a split second... Like it misses a beat. It does it while cruising along at 65ish mph (~4500rpm or so with the 15t). Started and idled fine. I'll try the spacer this week, it'll just take a few days. I'm throwing up a glamour shot- image.jpg
    Scutler likes this.
  15. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    UPDATE!

I put my 02 spacer®™ (haha) on the terra last night... Obviously I can't tell you how well it works just yet (if it works at all) but so far I can tell you this:

- starts easily
    - idles steadily hot or cold
    - my exhaust sniff-o-meter (nose) tells me it's running richer (though not excessively)
    - no engine light on
    - I didn't experience any lean stumble/stall during my test ride.

I'll put more miles on and see what happens. It just seems to run "normally" with the spacer installed. Dare I say smoother?
    It's a quick and easy thing to try if anyone has the interest. image.jpg
    isldtime likes this.
  16. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry about the rotated pic. Bugs the crap out of me but I don't know why it does that sometimes
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Are you using the bleed hole in the spacer?
  18. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    If this works I'm going to name it the "Disruption Mod"
    (My bike runs the eruption, so no disrespect) I'm just hoping this keeps the ecu "guessing" and constantly adjusting for what it interprets as a lean afr.

We'll see.
  19. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    No bleed hole. I never put it in and so far I'd say it doesn't need it. If you figure – when installed as intended – the O2 sensor sits directly in the exhaust stream. When using the spacer – it not only pulls it out of the exhaust stream, but also shrouds the tip of the sensor. I've decided to blow off work today – so I'm heading down to get on the bike right now and will try to pile on a few hundred miles with the spacer. I will let you know if anything funny happens
  20. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Thanks for the update! Funny thing, I was just wondering this morning if you had a chance to try it out yet.

Keep us informed. Might just be the least expensive mod yet!