Quality and quality assurance

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Motorcycles Corporation' started by rallytourer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. rallytourer Husqvarna
    A Class

I've just been at a local 12 hour H&H and a grand affair it was as well. The good thing was that there was a few Husky's there instead of usually just me.
    Anyway - one of the worst advertisments that Husqvarna could have had was that two of the TE 449's were towed back in to the pit behind the course quad.

Later on in the day I was pulling myself out of a bog and took some time to catch my breath and a chat with 3 marshalls.
    It should be said that the marshalls did not have a KTM between them. One of the guys asked how I liked the Husky given the others were shite. My appologies for the profanity but those were his words - and that is the trouble. The quality of the bikes is letting the marque down.

I have had all sorts of things drop off my bikes and the first thing I do is strip a brand new bike and tighten everything and then do the same with the electrics.
    For example - on this 310 the linkage bolts were finger tight!!

I dont know if its a manufacturing thing, QC/QA thing, training thing or just a lack of understanding at the factory but Husqvana MUST start screwing these things together properly. If you continue to carry on with the same manufacturing tecniques then you will never get one over on the mighty orange.
  2. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

that sucks, the 449's got decent reviews in one of the mags i was reading this weekend too. isnt the dealer the ones who put them together??
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What happened to the bikes? having owned a LOT of huskys from many vintages I find my 2011 TE511 put together better than any of them with much less to attend to. If they were both towed back was it engine issues or? Some specifics of the failures would be good. Almost everyone including dealers are reporting much better assembly and build quality since BMW took over.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    race prep.
    I have had all sorts of things drop off my bikes and the first thing I do is strip a brand new bike and tighten everything and then do the same with the electrics.
    always needs to be done. we are buying a bike not a race prepped bike, IMHO the machine is a base a solid base to work from. Loose stuff untorqued is an issue, but like you said a thorough inspection and pre race/ride set up is always in order.
  5. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    All the pinch bolts on the front forks were finger tight on my '11 TE310. Fortunately, I only put 25 miles of easy pavement on it before I decided to ditch the stock krapoos.

I guess I better check the linkage bolts before I ride it next time!
  6. Boom Boom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good topic.
    My friend just had his TE-250 with less than 50 hours drop a valve (valve broke) and trash the engine.
    This is a common dual sport bike, not a race bike.
    So far no help is being offered.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The TE 250 is really a race bike with a plate in my mind. I really do not think there is much common dual sport about the bike. It sucks regardless of what way you think about the bike.
  8. rallytourer Husqvarna
    A Class

All
    The points raised are all entirly valid. This isn't a dual sport bike its an enduro bike ie something that may be used for competition.
    I entirly agree that for race preparation the rider is ultimatly responsible but it is beholden on the manufacturer to put it together properly in the first place. The dealers are supposed to do the PDI but the question to be asked is the procedure robust enough. ie put the wheels on, kick the tyres and take the money?
    I have come to Husky after trying a number of marques and I have found I fit into the bike and am comfortable - not like the other manufacturers. Because of this I accept that I will have to put a lot of my own effort into something that is actually quite a lot of money.

The thing is that not everybody is prepared to do this as they can and do fit into the normal body shape and weights that enduro bikes are designed to fit. BMW/Husqvarna are spending considerable sums trying to break the hold that KTM have but to do this then the build quality has to be better than KTM and the rest (see Kawasaki MX bikes - build quality is fantastic).

The KTM 'Ready to Race' is a complete pile of rubbish BUT the bike dont fall apart when riden for the first few times.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When new they are nice but age quickly with loose kick starters, saggy footpegs, cheap mounting hardware. Suzuki and Kawasaki have always been IMHO good bikes with slightly less quality than Yamaha or Honda.

they have issues too. I have myself seen cracked triple clamps, oil transfer issues between the trans and motor on a KTM 530 (known issue and factory recall) top shock bolts ejecting, upper bar mounts recalled from failing, SX150 blowing up like crazy, Snapping, 2 stroke exhaust flanges, and don't get me started on the E-start 2 strokes and the 10 starts you get from them before it sounds like a gravel grinder.

Not making excuses for husky but i have yet to see a bike that did not have some sort of issues and attention needed. Seems like the BMW thing brought some advancements in build quality and they still have a ways to go.
  10. rallytourer Husqvarna
    A Class

Motosportz
    You are entirly correct - there is a way to go. Yes, other bikes have their problems I agree completly in what you say and I have also seen some of what you describe.
    The thing I'm keen to highlight is not what can happen (we all know as we have seen it) but its the customer perception that will build the brand and the shift the units. You or I dont expect to have to re torque caliper bolts on a new truck or reconnect the started switch on our new car - not even if we are the second, third or fifth owner.
    It's the perception of brand quality that I'm speaking about - if these are screwed together then this is the type of thing that will come. BMW have only rented the brand name for a limited period and yes, they have and most probably will spend a bunch of money but their share holders will not sanction a never ending money pit - they will want a return on their investment. I would!!
    All I'm suggesting in my own small way is that the factory need to get the small, easy things correct - screw it together, properly, today. Get this correct and the units sales will climb and consequently the unit costs come down increased margins etc and so on.

You know - sometimes I wish it were that easy?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    totally agree.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    While the original bike being discussed is well specified (TE449, early 2011), in general, it would be good to be as specific as possible e.g. my 2006 TE250 had a ___ problem (or whatever).

If some of the people reading these threads have some input to the manufacturing or quality assurance process, then something might be improved.
  13. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I not going to say that my past 12+ Huskys have had no problems (being either the Swedish, Italy/Cagiva era or present day BMW/Husky) but I also have ridden with mostly non-marque models that have had "issues". I can say that despite riding/racing with literally thousands of other non-Huskys,they to have manufacture problems ...much more major problems then I have ever had on any of my race/trail bikes. I don't think luck had anything to do with it..(I lost my house in a wildfire, have had a gun pointed at my head while I was being robbed an lost my motorcycle dealership to "2" back to back hurricanes)...I would say if it is built by man,you can bet failure is a sure thing. No matter how perfect I believe my Huskys are,I would be fooling myself to think they are indestructable. I always liked being differant and the "luckiest " part of being a Husky owner is that they always fit me and my style.:oldman:
  14. rallytourer Husqvarna
    A Class

Guscycle has a very valid point in his post but to address Coffee' point about being specific then I have had problems with the last 3 Husky's (under BMW direction).

2009 TE310 - fuel injection problems. Symptoms - over heating, splutering and eventuel cut out. For all the world it seemed like a blocked jet if it were carburated. Fix - complete replacement of injector, throttle position sensor, throttle body, ECU, temperature sensor, tilt sensor and loom. ie the problem wasn't dignosed its just that everything was replaced in the hope the problem was fixed. It was.
    2011 TE310 - build quality problems. Front caliper bolts fell out and the caliper wrapped itself around the front wheel on its first outing on the track. Front wheel spindle working itself out. Rear shock linkage loose. Top shock bolt loose and lost nut. Lower triple clamp studs loose and just about to rattle out. Fix - I stripped the bike and rebuilt everything before anything else fell out and used a KTM manual (delivered with the KTM bike and deliver as part of the scope) to torque everything back up.
    2010 TE 450 - build quality problems. Front engine nut (the nylon locking type) rattled off and lost. Front engine bolts rattled out but found. Rear caliper loose. Starter switch scrapped - cross connection/shorting when wet. Fix - strip the bike and retorque everything using the KTM manual as indicated above. Buy new toggle switches and rewire with properly crimped looms / terminal and switches that have been bought from reputable suppliers.

I'm sure we can all go back and describe horror stories of bikes we have had but that isn't the point. We are deliberating our brand - Husqvarna.
    Hopefully there is somebody that is looking at this that does have influence because despite the devlopement of the range this type of thing has to be addressed.
    At the risk of being cliched - pick the low hanging fruit first - that often quoted anagement phrase really does apply here. Screw them together properly with robust kit. Husqvarna, please hire a decent manufacturing engineer and impliment proper QA management.
    Ensure that the QA looks at the objectives of why the customers buy the bike - QA is not about the company, its about assuring the customers needs, objectives and ultimatly their wants are delivered - every time.
  15. QuadExpert Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 4 speed auto,2011 wr 150
    Hey Everybody.
    I have seen a big difference from 2010 to 2011.
    the older te,cr,wr models would lose bolts like crazy.
    the 2011 models seem to be better.(not perfect!)
    I am a believer that a small amount of Thread locker should be used on every fastener.
    This would stop the stupid dealer claims that can ruin a great Brand.
    Bmw should step in and put their foot down and insist on the finishing of the final product be second to none.
    loose Cam bolts are unacceptable from days past!

Ps Ktm has finish problems far worse than Husky!
    The day i remove a cylinder from a Husky and find glass beading stuck to the ports like a ktm, that is the day hang my head in shame.

Thread locker and a torque wrench!
    Common sense.
  16. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

17. QuadExpert Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 4 speed auto,2011 wr 150
    correct
    smoke229
  18. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The last new Husky I have ,2010 TC250, has been a remarkable bike since new.Until my project '07 WR125 was completed,the TC has had plenty of use..my son rides it,then I jump on and ride it and on and on....sometimes 5 hours+ continuously ridden ! except for stopping for fuel...and off road at that.Other then the usual carb /suspension set up,this bike completely amazes me. Since we are already on our third set of tires(counting the originals)I decided it was time to do some tear down and check grease /bearings/hardware. There was still amble grease even in the smallest of areas and only found the 2 motor mounts loosen by 1/4 turn(I do check all major hardware before and after every use and this was the first time something was loose). Why some people have problems and others don't baffles me at times. ...must be the old saying that if was built on a Monday or Friday,problems will arise. I think the new KTM rider I rode with last weekend had one of those Mon/Fri bikes 'cause his electric start took a crap and from what I heard is looking at a MAJOR repair! Sh.t does/can happen,no matter what brand you own!
    Have a good day,
    [IMG] Guscycle
  19. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2007 TE250 and a 2009 TXC250 (now a 310). Both bikes have been pretty reliable for me and I've owned both since new. The 09, I bought in the crate and will do that for all future bikes. That way I can fuss over putting it together the way I want it and save the cost of the PDI. That way any loose fasteners etc. are my own fault & I can't blame anyone else. I also give it a once over every so often afterwards. To me, spending a bit of time every 10-20 hours going over the bike is just part of normal maintenance.
  20. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good,sound advice [IMG]

Guscycle