1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Puckerbush 1978 OR 250 New 2012 Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Puckerbush, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I did it again. Having finished my '78 OR 250, I bought another one same year, model and size.
    I discovered from my last project the '78 OR 250 came with a 18" rear Akront wheel. This one has a 17" rear, but it is a Sun rim and the front is a Akront, which makes me think a previous owner changed the rim due to damage. The frame on this has the extra tube under the motor which according to the Husky parts list is a -02 frame rather than the CR and WR frame which is a -01.
    The transmission is perfect except the 3rd gear main shaft has rounded dogs, which I've noticed seems to be the rule of thumb on these bikes. I'm checking with Tritrophy in Oregon to see if they have one. Anyway, here is the beginning of this project: DSCN2792.JPG
  2. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh dear... brave man to do this..... shocks straight in the trash.... along with the red fork boots.....gear change is at a crazy angle?... and 3rd gear... the infamous 403.... get a batch of 1000 made and it would not be enough!
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Shocks look to be Gas Curnutts Those are worthy of rebuilding if the shafts and bodies are good
  4. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    The pair on my previous rebuild were leaking so I had Jake Suspension rebuild them. These don't appear to be leaking and the rebound seems fine. Maybe they were rebuilt. I'm going to take the springs off and paint them and the bodies. I believe in the attage, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."
    The front forks are not stock and I plan to replace them with the black leg units.
  5. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    The 3rd gear that is history is a 497. Here is a pic of it and the worn dogs:
    DSCN2840.JPG
  6. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    After removing the old paint and bondo, I discovered a pretty beat up container. I thought I would re-apply the bondo and smooth it out and finish with two coats of primer. DSCN2906.JPG
    After applying several coats of Krylon Osha Red, this is how it looked.
    DSCN2914.JPG
    After applying a mirror vinyl, pinstriping, and decals, this is how it looks. Not perfect but respectable.
    DSCN3052.JPG
  7. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Update on the resto. Its good to get the frame off the garage floor and onto some wheels.
    DSCN3190.JPG
    dartyppyt likes this.
  8. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    If you have any Curnutts you just want to throw straight in the trash contact me. I will pay the shipping.
    IMvintage likes this.
  9. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    This puppy is finished. Just need fuel lines and its ready for someone to ride or race.

Before:
    DSCN2792.JPG
    After:
    DSCN0041.JPG

DSCN0042.JPG

DSCN0043.JPG

DSCN0044.JPG
    On to the next project!
  10. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great job, looks awesome!! What's next?
    Ron
  11. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

nice job puck, the rear brake plate arm looks at a different angle.. worn shoes or hub lining? also a general question the main part of the exhaust looks 78 cr but you have springs not 3 x m6 bolts and nuts... the 78 250 cr silencer is inbuilt in the last part before the stinger in a pipe in pipe design....do you have this as well as the black silencer on the end?
  12. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    The silencer and spark arrestor was on the bike when I got it. I just finished another '78 250 OR and it had a different silencer configuration with the stinger pipe. I don't have a factory brochure for this model so I'm not sure what OEM looked like. I do know that this bike is quieter than the other 250 with the stinger pipe. The bike probably needs brake shoes and thats why the arm is at the funny angle. I may be purchasing another '78 250 this weekend. I'm also traveling to Las Vegas to pick up a bunch of Husqvarna parts including 3 frames 2 engines, 3 sets of forks, 2 sets of wheels, , 2 original Husky tanks, 3 swingarms, and 2 seats. There should be enough parts to build 2 complete bikes. One is a '79 390, and the other is a '82 250. So I'm going to be a busy guy.
  13. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you put brand new EBC brake shoes on, your brake arm will indicate your shoes are halfway gone.
    The EBC linings are not as thick as OEM Husqvarna shoes.
    Sounds like your Vegas trip will be a nice haul. Be safe!
    Ron
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the builds in this vintage forum are so fun to see. Awesome job. Wish i had spare time to do stuff like this. Great work.
  15. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Here is some of what I picked up in Vegas and Victorville last weekend. Trash to treasure.
    DSCN0059.JPG
    DSCN0060.JPG
  16. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Looks nice
  17. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Here is the finished product and the happy buyer loading it up to take it home. Next project: 1979 390 CR.

DSCN0042.JPG

DSCN0223.JPG
  18. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks like you got a youngster on a vintage Husky, good job!
  19. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Actually the "oldster" is going to ride it. The youngsters today don't want to fool around with kicking a bike to get it going, especially from the wrong side. They want to push the little red button and go.
  20. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

My bad, I like to see youngsters get into vintage (as long as their not in my class).
    Ron

[IMG]
    SeanR and dartyppyt like this.