problem starting / timing chain worries

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by amvs, Jul 11, 2010.

1. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

Hi guys, I've got a 2002ish SM570R with the single cam motor and wonder if it has a problem? It has always been a difficult bike to start - the previous owner told me to leave the decompression lever alone (doesn't seem to work anyway) and to follow this procedure:

1. flick the small black lever under the carb to the "down" position
    2. gently kick the bike over a couple of times with no throttle until it "farts" a bit or kicks back slightly
    3. Then flick the black lever off and kick it harder - usually it will start like this on the second or third kick

Last night I met an ex Husky 410 owner who said that if the bike is hard to start and backfires at all then it means the timing chain is about to go Now, obviously I'm a bit worried that there's something wrong with the bike. I don't know any other Husky owners and there isn't a dealer near me to ask so I'm really pleased to find this forum. Can anyone offer me any advice?

I'd always thought the bike was hard to start due to its race origins. Now I'm not so sure - is there anything I can do to fix it/make it better?

PS it doesn't idle particularly well either, somtimes running a fast idle speed which then drops to very slow and/or stalls. Is this an air leak, or a symptom of some other problem?
  2. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't know if it's the timing chain or not. But before I would have it serviced I would, get the jetting checked, get a valve adjustment, see why the decompression lever is not working. Starting a big bore single with the kickstarter requires all of the above to be right. GL
  3. Fritzcoinc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Agree, the cam chain gets a bumb wrap too often. The decomp is there for a reason. Get it working as it should. A bigger pilot jet will make it easer to start.