Power Commander V + Autotune install

Discussion in 'TR650' started by chris1261, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Post install ride:
    Woohoo, no more stalling. The hanging idle issue did not show up, and seems to pull harder.
    chris1261 likes this.
  2. DBRIDER09 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna terra tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    suzuki 06 450, suzuki 97 rm 250
    Well worth the money. Put it on my terra and the bike has a new attitude and I like it. No more off idle stalls, and mid range to top end pulls much better and if you adjust your fuel at 0 % throttle add 6% from1250 rpm to 2250 the compression braking almost goes away. When rolling off throttle so much smother.
    kjackbrown likes this.
  3. DBRIDER09 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna terra tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    suzuki 06 450, suzuki 97 rm 250
    When I talked to power commander about air fuel and target, they did say to use 13.2 but to start from 5% throttle at 1000 rpm to 100% throttle and 9000. Not to set target at 2% or lower throttle position. So far has worked well for me. Only had two auto tune runs so far will accept trim values after my next long ride. We should compare, see how close our bikes are.
  4. DBHUSKY Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Just bought a Pcv and put it on my strada.. I've tried the stock map which gave me a 3500 rpm idle after three rides. Next I tried a map listed in this thread and the bike stalls when it gets to operating temp. Any ideas? I'd rather not spend more money on an autotune. Any maps someone can let me try. My bike is bone stock and I love it but this map issue has to go! I ride between 300-400 altitude in the northeast USA .
    Thanks
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I vaguely recall someone stating one of the theories is: the electric valve which is in the emissions canister circuit area is causing issues for some - if it were me I'd try contacting dynojet on Monday to get more information. They are aware of the hanging idle issue on the TR650s.
  6. Ian Baker Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Hi Chris, I've bought a PCV and Autotune from ebay and have it just about installed, except fit the power supply for the Autotune. Can you give me some more details about how you connected into the tail light supply and ground?
  7. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Great write up...thanks
  8. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    @Ian,

I used the supplied posi-tap and connected it to the tail light (to get key-on power) If i remember, it's the green/white one. I ran a lead to the negative side of the battery for ground.
  9. Ian Baker Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Thanks Chris just connected it up, but took the earth from one of the posidrive screws near the tail light as it saved me cutting the shield on the cable. Now time to play with the maps!
  10. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Hi Chris,
    Did you buy the PCV and Auto Tune that was specific for the TR650 or did you but some other unit?
    Thanks
  11. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    Lekolite, I believe the auto-tune is the same for multiple applications. I don't have it anymore (sold the bike) but if i recall it's model 101?
  12. Delnari Husqvarna
    A Class

Have been running the PCV for almost one year now and the bike is still running great! I did remove the air canister at the same time. No Autotune installed though. Idle is steady and has never stalled after the PCV installation. Still on the map listed here. If you are thinking about chucking your TR650, do this first and you will keep it .
    the_hunter and mag00 like this.
  13. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I have a question for you guys running the PC5 + Autotune.
    I'm running this setup and have a pretty good AFR table worked out and the bike is running very well overall. But... I'm having a bit of a time finding just the right settings for cold start. For some reason I can't nail this one down to be right. I have little trouble with hot start regardless of the settings I use.

I've tried it with several settings in the startup fuel config ranging from adding fuel -5% to +20% and run time 15 - 20 seconds, plus just turning the feature off.

If any of you have found a sweet setup for cold start let me know. I've talked to Mathew at Dynojet a couple times and it's kinda down to trial and error at this point. It's tough as you only get a few shots at it per day.

My current bike setup has Screaming Demon pipes with the quiet baffles and the POD Mod. I still have the evap canister but it's coming off soon to make room for a 2nd radiator fan.

Other than cold start the bike runs awesome.
  14. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Here is one for you.
    I put a PCV on my Strada. NO autotune just the PCV. The instructions get you to remove the "O2" sensor and NOTHING is connected to the ECU from the sensor wires. NOTHING. There is no error on the dashboard saying that there is no sensor and no wire goes to the PCV to spoof it. ??????????? My BMW had a wire that went to the PCV from the sensor but this has nothing. It's as if it doesn't care there isn't a sensor attached. Has anyone tried unpluging it and running the bike ( someone without the a PCV) and see what happens. It doesn't make sense there should be an error unless it doesn't check to see if there is a signal and if there is, use it to mod the EFI output.
    The bike is now running way better. Starts every time no hesitation. Runs as smooth as silk ( yes I mean smoother that stock) . Power is nothing to write home about. A little extra maybe but not noticeable. I have gone back to a quieter more restrictive single exhaust though.
  15. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    Thanks for the feedback.

So, you have the PC5 alone (no Autotune) with nothing connected to the original ECU O2 input connector. Understood, can you post a screen shot of the fuel map you're using?

I've tried the base map Dynojet offers, plus a couple other's posted here. I've also tried unplugging my Autotune and running just the PC5 alone, no change in starting for me. That's why I'm beginning to suspect something else may be askew with my setup. I have nothing plugged into the original ECU O2 input connector.

One thing I'm going to go back and try, I've removed the stock airfilter door/cartridge entirely leaving a much larger airbox opening. I want to put the door back in and see if it affects the start up.

I'm running the Screaming Demon twin pipes with the quiet baffles in them, another change from stock.
  16. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
    Danketchpel, What temperature do you call cold start?
    Like Greg, I'm running PC5 alone with stock fuel map and have no issues with starting, but at the moment our temperatures are no less than 18deg and even mid winter maybe 12deg. I don't touch the throttle, just press the starter and let it idle while donning helmet, etc.
    Have you checked sparkplugs as a large gap can be a definite cause of difficult starting. Also in Australia we don't have Evap cans.
  17. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    My temps here in Southern California are about the same as your's. So not REALLY cold start like those guys in the snow belt, ugh....

I haven't pulled the plugs yet since the bike only has ~1,900 miles on it. I have a set of Iridium plugs on order. I recently pulled off the Evap stuff to make room for my 2nd fan.

Today it started pretty decent, but still not quite as you describe. I'll see how it goes this week.

Thanks for the feedback.
  18. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    This is correct, for the tail light, the green/white wire is hot and the brown wire is ground.
  19. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Let me preface this with, I am not an expert, and am only trying to brainstorm ideas. People mention a lot about how valves can cause poor starting. Have you considered checking them? At only 1900 miles, I would be hard pressed to think this would be a problem, but keep in mind that I checked my valves at 800 miles (yes, 800), and one set was at or below spec. This fact, combined with the wide variability seen with these bikes could potentially make is possible your valves are out of spec.
  20. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    The thought has definitely crossed my mind.

While most have reported their valves are in spec., mine could be one of few that could be just enough out to cause some starting trouble.

I don't relish the thought of tearing half the bike apart to find out but...... it might come down to that. It does start very quickly and reliably when hot so .....??? Not sure, I'll see how things develop. It might be easier to take a compression check first.
    Thumpa likes this.