Possible clutch lever engagement issue???

Discussion in '610/630' started by stuartmcivor, Sep 30, 2017.

1. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    Bike is a 630 with hydraulic clutch.

I've noticed towards the end of the season that my clutch lever engagement point seems to have changed to where engagement is almost the end of release. What i mean is the bike, from a stop, doesn't start to move until the clutch lever is almost fully released. It is awkward and that is why I noticed. Feathering through the "slow stuff" is more difficult now because there seems to be such a narrow margin of clutch lever play before no forward movement and lever is fully released. Once moving along (2nd and up) engagement point remains the same but no longer an issue.

I have bleed the system with fresh mineral oil. No change. The clutch lever pull is smooth and consistent, not mushy at all. I thought it might be time for new clutch plates. I questioned my dealer and he didn't think that was it and asked me about the type of oil I had been using suggesting different oils, different results. I changed oil to a 10w50 (Castrol Power1 4T). I have put just under 500km on new oil with no noticeable difference.

Does anybody have a similar experience or comment? The bike is ride-able but I would like to understand what has happened to cause this and ultimately have it back to where it was before it was noticeable.
  2. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    if you use the red adjusting screw changes something?

Attached Files:

3. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    I tried the red screw. All it does is change the distance the lever is from the handlebars, not where the engagement point is along the pull. But thank you for the suggestion.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Do 630's have the adjustment at the end of the push rod on the clutch side?
  5. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    I just had another look at the shop manual. Found no reference to clutch adjustment.
  6. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Did they get rid of the adjustable part in the centre on the 630?
    [IMG]
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Take off the master cylinder and clean it out with an ear bud and non solvent cleaning agent. Also take out actuating rod clean and grease.
    I have on other bikes placed a washer on top of each clutch plate spring, this gives additional purchase.
    Good luck.
  8. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630

I haven't removed the cover. The adjustable part may still be part of the 630.
  9. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630

I did clean out the reservoir with a cotton ear bud when I changed the fluid. There was some slime laying on the bottom. I didn't use a solvent, just the new mineral oil. How does one take out the actuating rod? Where is it located? is it the piece the clutch lever pushes on when pulled in?
  10. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Something similar happened to me. The clutch cable had the right play but the clutch engaged very late. I had the adjuster mentioned before set too much inside and the pressure plate couldn't press correctly the clutch plates because the adjuster blocked it too early.