1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Poll - 449/511 EFI butterfly removal

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Apr 21, 2014.

?

449/511 EFI butterfly removal

Did it, love it 50 vote(s) 51.5%
Did it, did not work 2 vote(s) 2.1%
Going to do it 29 vote(s) 29.9%
Not going to do it 16 vote(s) 16.5%
  1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    9880sts, Dangermouse449 and danny318 like this.
  2. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    Did it Love it: One 4 hour ride so far.

'13 511, FMF Powercore, Race map 3, PCV with Zip-Ty's Burson FB richer low RPM, home airbox mods.
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'm still amazed at the difference it made to my bike, I've had NO flame-outs in the last 2 rides & I love the way it just cracks open & hauls!
    I'm getting on a bit for dirtbikes (46) but I lead our last group ride, & could pull out a sizable gap to the others in the group between turn-offs, awesome :thumbsup:
    9880sts likes this.
  4. huskyboy410 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE410 -2011 TE511-2012 SMR511
    As I said in the other tread ...WoW!!!
    Totally different bike power is great and probably for me the engine brake is even better. 511 race map 2 gutted standard akro pipe. Anyone who thinks they might do it ....don't think any longer... do it!!!
    Robster likes this.
  5. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I can tell a noticeable difference, pulls much harder, low end, no flame out fears, seems to start the same cold,
    And better hot starts.
  6. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Anyone have any cold or hot start issues after the mod?
  7. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

has anyone confirmed this? The only time the choke is needed on the TC449 is when it is hot. It's more like a hot start than a choke. I have over 100 hours on those bikes and never needed it when cold.
  8. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Why should it make it more difficult to start when you remove the Butterfly ? The Ecu one is partly open any ways.
    When u start the TE you can't really turn the throttle . So the ECU will control the Fuel with the main butterfly closed.
    danny318 likes this.
  9. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    After the long weekend ride's . I love the Bike.
    I was out in a Group of 13 Bikes.
    6 KTM 250/300 2T and some 350 - 530's.
    1 GAS GAS 300
    4 Yamaha's WR450f.
    1 newish Yellow white KTM 250 2t. ---- He does not speak with the Red Husky rider ! What a TOSSER. i made sure through the ride that some debris went his way.
    1--- TE 511----

the comment from most of Guys was just , how Incredible good the bikes goes.
    Because as i showed up, mentioned to the other Guys , that the 511 is a fake. Has only 477 ccm and is a RED BMW G450.
    I thought i throw his Austrian Shitbox on the Ground and just smash it a bits.

Well the 530 could not pull up beside me at all anymore. 450's are a no go too.
    And 4 wanted to have a ride with it , just because of the FLEXBAR's. But came back and couldn't believe how fukn good this thing pulls and Handles.

I always looked at other bikes when they pulled away, i was missing that raw power. Here it is now. Just to see other Guys impressed with it makes me smile... because i did not install PCV and JD tuner. Didn't Change Camshafts and / or heads to get a result.

To see someone just getting of my bike and smiling !!!. I don't wan't to hear things like '" Userfriendly" or " Yeah it goes allright '' or " i thought for a 480cc bike it should pull harder".

I want to hear things like ... damn what a power station / can't believe thats only 477cc.

Just one Picture from KINGLAKE VICTORIA terrain.
    Steep Hills and Gullys.
    downhill.jpg
  10. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    So far I've done everything apart from the Akro/Race map 3 Thats booked in for saturday morning for the ECU upgrade at Lillydale Victoria , Then I will let you know how much better it is yet again. A little more oil and thinner oil will help {THANKS TINKEN } buy rights should make alittle more power at run cooler.
  11. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    9880sts THATS SOME STEEP COUNTRY I USED TO DOWN RACE THERE ON DOWN HILL MOUNTAIN BIKES. YEAH BABY 8 INCHS OF TRAVEL FRONT AND BACK SUSPENSION.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  12. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Defiantly no hot start issues. Ridden mine in 35 degC heat & all sweet.
    Cold start should remain the same if you are only doing the butterfly mod.
    The ecu still adds extra fuel for cold start (based on coolant & air temp sensors) & if the fast idle arm remains, then it will lift the idle, cold start shouldn't be affected. (To lift the fast idle arm, the top butterfly shaft has to turn, thereby opening the butterfly as well. It would not work as a 'choke' in this instance)

I do not live where it snows, 5 degC is about as cold as we get here, so I can't confirm one way or the other.
    You can always re-install the butterfly if it has trouble in winter
  13. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Mine has been starting great cold and hot since the mod.
  14. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

The 'choke' on a TC is a fast idle knob, it just lets in extra air around the throttle butterfly.

It's how I wish the TEs were from new :)
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

That'd be a nice addition for the bike in a cold climate & no idle arm.:)

I haven't hooked up a tach to the 449 as yet, but I have it idling fine hot or cold without the idle arm, catches first crank each time.
    The TE sounds about the same idle as my EFI CRF450R by ear, it is running about 1900rpm.
  16. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Spoke to the technician at my local dealer yesterday.
    He can't recall if the different ECU added to my bike back during warranty work has Map3 or not.
    They are waiting for their KTM updated software/hardware package & their HST is down so I'll have to wait until later to find out if it is loaded.....

I also mentioned politely that the previous work hadn't fixed it, but pulling the butterfly had.
    He said they were a little quiet this week (short week of public holidays) so he might give it a try on a used shop bike they have there.
    I think he'll be very surprised :D
  17. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    Second 2 hour test ride with butterfly removed. All went well.

Noticed on steep, 2nd gear hill climb when that scary moment comes when you think, "OH NO! I'm going too slow for 2nd. I need to shift down... but I'm using 100% concentration and my foot is in the wrong spot... I'M GOING TO STALL! I NEED TO SHIFT DOWN!!" ...... you know, we've all been there.... well, no need to shift, just twist the throttle farther. No stall. No flameout. No hesitation, just MONSTER pulling on slow, rutted, super steep hills, in 2nd! It didn't pull like that before butterfly removal.
    9880sts and Dangermouse449 like this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    you can thank me later. :D ...and it was not bashing just subjective info based on real world testing.

Not sure what they could be as the ECU does not know it was removed and is still doing its thing.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Only going by what he told me.
    I'm away again for work now, but I'll call in on them when home & see if they can hook it up. (They're a 40 min drive away also)
    Sounded like their HST had died the way he was talking.
    They should have had software there for all the 'new' Huskys anyhow as they were the local Berg dealer already.....
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

(Tongue in cheek) - I don't think the system is that smart :)

If it were, feedback of changes from a piggyback system would be more likely to give problems. (And only in closed loop running)
    The system can still turn the throttle shaft, it watches the 2nd tps to see if it did & confirm it.
    The only way it could 'know' if there's something amiss is through poor fueling read in closed loop mode with the o2 sensor installed.

I know you aren't a fan, but I now have 20 hours since the removal & it is still awesome.
    First time starts hot or cold, great throttle response, no flame-outs & no dead throttle issues.

Whatever the original cause of any of these faults, along with the butterfly, & other mods, there are gone.:thumbsup: