phm 40 ms carb fuel/air mixture settings

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by david Harris, May 3, 2013.

1. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    finally got it fixed...... took it to Husky Sport in Winchester and they found that it was the magnet belt on the stator that had slipped and a connection issue with the coil.... all fixed and running, just got a little bit of "lag" on acceleration when accelerating quickly from standing start.
    wondered if this is why it originally had a 195 main jet and not a 175 (currently fitted) stock jet.
    does any one know if this would stop/cure or help the lag in acceleration?
    "give it a lot of throttle and after the lag the front wheel lifts and we have take off......."
    thanks for all the help.:cheers:
  2. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    My mums Harley Davidson 883. Lol
    Hi did you ever get the jerky issue at low speeds I.e. 30mph with little throttle sorted?
  3. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    yes, it turns out it was miss firing, because the magnet ring in the stator had moved and the timing/spark was out.
    runs nice and smooth now at low revs also. got a little bit of lag if accelerating hard from stand still sometimes, (if anyone has any ideas would be greatly received) but other than that........
    still a bitch to start cold but once running, goes like rocket....
    cheers.
    dave
  4. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine had been very hard to start cold and it turned out my air fuel mix was too low I had to turn it to almost 2.25 turns to get it right I also found opening and closing the throttle a few times before starting would help too
  5. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    What mileage was your bike at when this started?
  6. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    it had 16k on the clock when i bought it but the speedo wasnt working so "who knows"....(registered feb 1998) wanted an old one to "do up"...... might rebuild the engine this winter or definitely next year.

thanks for the info on the fuel/air mixture, i will give it a try as mine is set to the book, so will back it out a little more and see if it helps with the cold start.
    cheers.
    dave
  7. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hope it helps. Mine is an 00 with 13000km on the clock. Do you know of any luggage options for these bikes?
  8. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Dave did u get you bike sorted? Just found out the magnets on my flywheel came loose. How much did it cost to get yours fixed? I managed to find the stock settings for the dellorto phm 40 if you want them.
  9. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    hi
    the stator assembly complete cost me £260 +vat GBP had it done at Husky Sport in Winchester UK, so there was labour on it, but was worth it to get it running.
    it did cure the fault and runs well now, no miss firing and runs smooth in traffic.... the only issue i have at the minute is to do with the fuel/air mixture i think.... it bogs down/lags a little when accelerating hard, especially from stand still. i`ve got the fuel/air screw out about 2 and half turns out at the minute and still does it (was about 1 and half to start with) so i might have to look at the jetting on it but i have little knowledge on this and it is set to stock now so this was my starting point i suppose.
    its still an absolute Bi**h to start (puts me off going out on it sometimes cos you cant just jump on it and of ya go......spend about 20minutes trying to get it started) but runs great when shes up and running of course :confused:
    if you could send me the info on the carby that would be great thanks, could then compare with the info i have.
    cheers.
    dave
  10. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Was that for the stator and flywheel? Think I just need a flywheel and pick up coil. Iv emailed Reece at husky sport so waiting for a reply. Hope this info helps.

Attached Files:

11. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
  12. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ah mines different mine is electric start and the flywheel etc is in the LH side of the engine. Local husky place told me £357 for complete unit for my bike. :-( I'm just glad I can do the work myself. Hope u get sorted.
  13. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    hi dave i have got the 570 same engine as your 610. have you ever got it to start better? mine one is really annoying as well spending so much time to get it to run. what did you set the air mixture to? im on 3 turns out standard from the manual but have full leo vince on it and modded airbox so might need to adjust it a little
  14. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    hi
    when i got my bike it was a nightmare to start and not smooth running, as you can read above, i thought it was the carb jets/etc not being stock but it turns out it was the stator magnet belt had slipped so timing was out..... had this fixed and it was better but still a pig to start....... long story short, stock main jet should be 175 mine originally was a 195 but at the beginning of all my problems i fitted a stock main jet to get it back to standard and left it in even when i had the new stator fitted as it ran ok at the time, but it still lagged/bogged down when accelerating hard. basically now i have put the original 195 main jet back in and the float needle second clip from top and fuel/air mixture screw out 1 & 3/4 turns...... the difference is amazing......no lagg at all when accelerating as hard as you like....and runs smooth.
    it starts so much better now, 2nd or 3rd kick.....BUT..... there is a knack. read the reply from "uptite" again,on first page of post.
    you must "find" TDC (compression stroke) or you will be kicking it for ever with no joy, you can get a feel for it.
    used to take 15 or 20 minutes to get it going when i first got it, but great now.
    the main jet change and needle clip position made all the difference.
    good luck.
  15. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    thanks for the reply mate, i stripped the carb but didnt make a note of the jets, i guess adusting the air mixture might help it to start alot better. also when you was putting your stator back on, how did you align it ? I have seen few pictures over the internet and it seams like everyone has them bolted on twisted to the right hand side, i took it off and bolted it to where the alighment is on the cases which is baisically with the bolts in the middle. and that helped it a bit, well at least it started from the kicker for the first time :)
  16. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    I think the mixture screw is critical,(was on my bike anyway) the more turns out it is the richer it will run. i made the mistake of making it too lean at first(screwed in) and the rad over heated so was blowing water out the overflow pipe like a steam jet......
    Also got the tick over adjuster screwed in a bit more than usual to give a higher tick over rpm, this seemed to help with the cold starting (a bit richer i suppose)

The stator/coil plate on mine is aligned with the line/notch on the plate and a stamped mark on the engine casing and so the screws would be in the middle of the slots.
    see picture:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img835/6317/tsdc.jpg

Sounds to me that it could possibly be the magnet belt came loose and has moved. Definitely worth getting this checked out. My bike was always hard to start but did eventually run until finally, I imagine, the magnets slipped round that much, making the timing that far out eventually,that it wouldn't start at all, not even bumping it down hill.
    On mine, you couldn't tell by just looking at it. Although I thought this might be the issue with mine I didn't want to buy a new one and find out it wasn't that and be stuck with it, so i booked it in at Husky Sport in Winchester for them to confirm and replace it ....sure enough it was.
    Even after this it was still a bit hard to kick up and get started.
    The main fix/cure was the main jet change to 195 and needle position (2nd clip from top)for sure. also forgot to mention my float arm positions were out from book settings, so reset them and the choke valve slider rubber (on the end/tip) was perished and had an indentation in it so changed this as well.
    got all my carb parts from:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products.asp?CategoryID=2&PartsectionID=22

really fast service.

Times i felt like getting rid of it, but runs great now and love it

stick with it ..... it`ll be worth it in the end..... "but hurry up before we run out of summer.....;)"

I've learnt a lot in the year and half I've had it, and i am not by any means an expert on them but if you have any questions you want to ask, please do and ill try my best to offer some help. i have full service manuals i bought from America and Parts books so if you need any settings just ask. also got them on PDF .
    cheers.
    dave.
  17. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    sweet sounds like i need to play with the carb a little, thats how i have readjusted my plate :) when i pulled the flywheel i tried to move the magnets and they were solid so i hope they didnt shift in any way :) thanks for all the info i really appreciate it :)
  18. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    have you tried putting a battery onto the bike? im planning to wire a battery in to power up the gps tracker so it dsnt get drained out in case the bike gets nicked
  19. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    BTW... my magnet belt didnt move, nor could i move it myself, so just bare that in mind......;)
    Also,just double check your valve settings, i made my first post about this and found conflicting settings from the manual.... this was cleared up by "uptite" as being 4 thou inlet and 5 thou exhaust, not 6 thou as noted in the service manual.... this is how my bike is set now... was told this is very important to get it bang on...
    please look at the post

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/1997-8-sm610-valve-clearance-settings.31608/

Cheers
  20. david Harris Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha RD350LC
    No, i havent put a battery on or tied, sorry.
    i just have a good xena alarmed disc lock and its data tagged, that's all. i only ride it for fun so never really left anywhere and its locked in alarmed garage the rest of the time.

At the beginning of all my problems i wished someone would nick it.......;)
    "then i could have asked them how they got the damn thing started"........:lol:
    cheers.