Petition for urgent ECU/MAP update - Husqvarna 650 Random Low Speed Stall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 10, 2014.

1. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    Model ; husqvarna TR 650
    Year ;2013
    Serial number ;
    Owners name ; Fernando Quiles
    Dealer name : Sahara Motor s.l.
    Odometer reading;20.000km
    When did this problem first occur; since 3.000 km
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ;>300
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation; >25

in fact I felt down once with an injury in arm
  2. ediehl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ulysses, Norge, Goldwing
    Model ; TR650 Terra
    Year ; 2014
    Serial number ;zkh0h12a6evxxxxxx
    Owners name ; Eric Diehl
    Dealer name : Appalachian Offroad
    Odometer reading; 880 miles
    When did this problem first occur; Immediately
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; Not counted
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation; 1

Brief comment (optional) ; It is usually OK once warmed up, but seems to be stalling more frequently with more miles. It ALWAYS stals once or twice when cold starting
  3. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Model ; TR650 Strada
    Year ; 2014
    Serial number ;
    Owners name ; Micah M.
    Dealer name : Halls Cycles
    Odometer reading; 580miles
    When did this problem first occur; @ 150 miles
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; 2
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation; 1

Brief comment (optional) ; Stalled once when trying to move out of a parking spot after cold start. Stalled another time at low speed in first gear in a gravel parking lot. This de-stabilized the bike and I almost laid it down.
  4. Jon Knutson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KTM 450 SX-F (Street Legal)
    Model ; Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Year ; 2013
    Serial number ; ZKH0H11C6DVXXXXXX
    Owners name ; Jon K.
    Dealer name : Cannon Motorcycles, Braintree, England
    Odometer reading; 3000 miles
    When did this problem first occur; First day
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; >50
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation; >15

Seems to be getting worse since I passed the 3000 mile mark, could it be the warm weather?
  5. tr650bt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CX500
    Model ; Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Year ; 2013
    Serial number ; ZKH0H12a7dvxxxxxx
    Owners name ; Brandon Turner
    Dealer name : 2nd owner
    Odometer reading; 11,800 miles
    When did this problem first occur; First day
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; >50
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation; >10
    Brief Comment; I have been placed in numerous situations that could have resulted in injury or death due to the random stalling. I once had my wife as a passenger when the bike stalled, we were at low speed in a parking lot and the sudden erratic stall caused the motorcycle to lurch which startled my wife and caused us to drop the bike. luckily she was able to dismount with no harm but I was left with a leg trapped between the bike and ground. This resulted in a bruised ankle and minor tissue damage. Had there been further injury to myself or wife I may would have claimed a lawsuit. The stalls we are experiencing are random and not user error, it is obviously a fuel mapping issue. The current mapping also causes poor running condition between approximately 3500-4200 rpm causing users to ride at high rpm to avoid erratic throttle response which could also become a real safety issue. This issue must be resolved, It is widespread across the entire fleet of TR650 motorcycles.

6. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    Model; Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Year ; 2013
    Serial number ; ZKHOH12A9DV
    Owners name ; John Sweet
    Dealer name : Motofit, Danbury, CT
    Odometer reading; 4639
    When did this problem first occur; first day of ownership
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; 25
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation ; 6
    Brief Comment ; several times I've entered traffic and the motor has stalled, I've been able to pull over and or get out of harms way so far, hope my luck holds
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Model; Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Year ; 2013
    Serial number ;
    Owners name ; Dave
    Dealer name :
    Odometer reading; 5,000
    When did this problem first occur; first day of ownership
    Numbers of random stalls to date (approx) ; 25
    Number of times you been placed in dangerous situation ; 3
    Brief Comment ; Pulling out from stop turning left across traffic, bike stalled and I almost dropped it in front of oncoming traffic. Another time turning, it stalled and bike fell due to lack of inertia in the corner. Bike has stalled at stop lights in town with cars behind almost running over me due to bike stalling on takeoff. This is not from letting clutch out too fast, it is from turning the throttle.

Just got off the phone with:
    DOT Auto Safety Hotline
    1-888-DASH-2-DOT(1-888-327-4236)

You must call and file a complaint. I have, and they ask basically what you are putting hear. If enough people are reporting this, they may take action. Wait time was not too bad, maybe 2 minutes.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/
  8. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    mag00. Can you please remove this post and put somewhere else, we need to keep this thread on topic.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  9. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    your post is not on topic, this is a petition with specific information, it is not an open slather discussion please.
  10. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    you could try looking at the thread heading "Petition for urgent ECU/MAP update - Husqvarna 650 Random Low Speed Stall", this a petition, and YOU are the only one that does not understand this and the only only one to start a general discussion in the middle of it.

Above I asked you to remove these posts, I have also PM'd you also, so, this is now my third request, please remove your posts?

If your information is to private, don't participate.
  11. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

I didn't ask for this sorry, you've lost me again......

Your ignorant behaviour is noted......the other 24 participants where happy to lend a hand in the hope we can find and share a solution, to what is a very serious problem. But YOU my friend, want to hijack what was a very clear and clean thread/petition, sighting a bit of data which at the end of the day is not very personal and not a lot to offer in the greater scheme of resolving this issue.

So everyone we can understand why your behaving this way, please explain your problem?

PM me if you want, I don't care, all I want to do is fix these bikes, not waste time dribbling on about irrelevant rubbish.
  12. Jon Knutson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KTM 450 SX-F (Street Legal)
    What he's saying is this thread is a petition for specific information. You are providing good info but you're posting on the wrong thread.
    kiwiape likes this.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Thank for this Jon. I have repeatedly requested mag00 (Dave) post elsewhere, I have PM'd him, but when he repeatedly says "What's the topic?" and "I'm confused, what is the topic that I am not on?", after I have already explained what the thread is and ignoring the fact that it's self explanatory, I have also made a request to the moderator and so far nothing (which seems strange to me)....so what do you do....?.

Stepping back, something seems odd here, mag00 is either trying to be a jack ass, or has his own private agenda, either way he has completely destroyed, a good and growing petition (which takes time), a great tool that we all could have used and you have to ask, "why would you?!!".

I have been working behind the scenes to come up with a solution for all to share and this petition (when required) will be part of this, but things don't move quickly. I am getting closer to sharing some of this, but until I have it all nailed down there is not point in waffling on.

At this point I am in two minds about continuing with this and sharing anything. I'm just not interested in wasting time dealing with this sort of rubbish.

To everyone who has participated in this petition, I would like to personally thank you for your efforts and it has certainly proved a point.

If you wish to continue assisting me in seeking a solution for all of us to share then please PM mag00 and request he remove all posts from this thread.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    OK I've been thinking this for a while but I didn't want to cause a disruption on this thread, but now that the ice has already been broken.....

I think this is the wrong way to go about petitioning anyone for a solution. There are 25 names on this petition to date. Husqvarna have sold several thousand of these bikes. That's not a very big percentage. Then you have to find the way to get the petition into the hands of the correct person at Husqvarna who can address or correct the issue. I personally think, of those 25 people each went to the dealer where they bought their bike and brought the issue to the attention of the dealer and requested that the dealer escalate that back to the distributor and if those distributors are in 3 or 4 different markets, Nth America, Australia, Europe, Asia, then feedback from several distributors is going to carry more weight than 25 individual complaints, or 1 complaint with 25 signatures.

I'll delete this post in a few days to clean up the thread
    RidingDonkeys likes this.
  15. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I agree with nev.., and mag00 seems to be doing the only potentially productive thing. File a complaint with the government so they can compile the incidents until they have enough data to take action. They have a lot bigger hammer than a couple dozen Cafe Huskavarians. I hope that AU and others have a similar avenue available.

That said, it seems like that post could be the basis for a new thread (I would do that for y'all, but I dont have any powers here in TR650 land - sorry)
  16. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Nev you have a point, its only 25 now but it still growing. Dealers and distributors always close ranks in these situations so you will never know the extend of the problem locally or worldwide and I am dam sure considering that sale of Husky there will not be a recall.

This petition shows us (the individual owners) exactly what is going on and what part of the world and it shows just how serious this is......you can see by some of the comments, its serious. I fear if we are going to get bogged down in this sort of thing we will go know where.
  17. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    oregansage, I have no problem with mag00 doing the DOT thing, but why dump it in the middle of what was a perfect clean petition..??...start a new thread and lets all work to a common goal, thats simple and logical isn't it......?

Here in NZ we do not have a DOT and I doubt if AU does, either way, you will most likely die waiting for something to happen considering the sale of Husky to KTM and subsequent death of the Husky brand.....its not just simple equation anymore with both the NZ and AU distributors dumped as distributorships....we are very close to being completely alone. I have put a lot of time in on this but it now seems I might as well forget about sharing it with guys if all you want to do is stand on the sideline and criticise.
    mag00 likes this.
  18. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Ok, I was thinking about posting in here, but I hesitated to keep this thread clean, but since all hell broke loose, I'm going to point out the following, knowing that I'll deleted this post as soon as I'm asked to:

- This is a forum thread, not a petition site. The difference is that in a petition site you can request some personal information, including VIN, name and address, without it being published publicly. mag00 pointed out a couple of sites, which are IMO a little too political, but there are other more appropriate for consumer petitions. This is the reason why I didn't post in this thread, although I experienced the stalling problem myself.

- mag00 posted a legitimate question in a reply that got a bunch of likes, to which there was no response. So what to do with this petition in the end? Are you going to send an email to info@ktm.com? Are you going to contact a local representative?

- mag00 has also posted the info about the DOT hotline (even better, you can submit the complaint online). You pointed out that neither AU nor NZ has such thing, but I have to point out that whatever the change the US DOT would trigger, more likely than not it will be restricted to software, so the benefit would probably extend worldwide through the MOSS updates. So I'm begging all TR650 owner in the USA to file a complaint in the link above!

While I admire the nobility of your purpose, I'm not so certain about the mean of delivery. I would suggest you to open a true petition in a petition site (and I said you, because the idea is yours, and it's a good idea), create a new thread publicizing it, and maybe ask the mods to make it sticky (I would also make a post in the ADVrider thread). I promise I will sign the petition, regardless of how you would use the information in the end.
    mag00, V8Astro and RidingDonkeys like this.
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Since it is all going to hell, I'll add my two cents.

First, everyone SHOULD submit a complaint though the US DOT at the website above https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml. This is the most likely course of action to get a resolution, especially if there was an accident or injury. The TR 650 is not currently in their system, so you will have to manually enter "Husqvarna TR650 2013". It is a relatively secure means of getting the information to the right source.

Second, collecting a bunch of private information on a public forum is not wise for anyone. I can give you a million reasons as to why it is bad, but you've probably heard them all before. I'll just leave it at this, I'm a CEH, and I can say with certainty that there is enough data in each of these "petition" posts to put even the worst of information thieves in your driveway. Why give it away this easy? You wouldn't be publishing all of this if I said I was a Nigerian Ambassador with an inheritance for you, so why do it because your bike stalled?

I'm going to pick on Charlie. All I did was search his name...(Image removed)
    mag00 likes this.
  20. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I just got off the phone with the DOT auto safety hotline, I filed a complaint on the random low speed stall issue. My complaint # 10621506. If we all do this something will happen.
    PaulC, tweber, Motosportz and 2 others like this.