PCV with Zip Ty map

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Baddrapp, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    We installed the PCV today with a map Michael (Tinkin) designed. I did a short cruise around the block. Michael made some subtle changes. All I can not stop smiling. This baby just plane hauls ass. Now it feels like it should. I will give updates as I ride this screaming redhead.

It smoothed the idle, no popping on deceleration, and the fun factor went thru the roof. There is no flat spots.
    Huskynoobee, Tinken, Thumpa and 4 others like this.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I enjoyed the install (didn't do anything). A few tweaks here and there and we were up and running. I am surprised how under fueled this engine is in the midrange. I liked the new felt powerband hit at 4000 rpm, gave it a new big engine feel. I'm glad the deaccel pop has completely vanished. No more off idle stalls, in fact there is a new powerful feel to take off, even idle sounds better.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  3. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm very interested in your map. I installed the PCV w/auto tune about a year ago and was pleased with the results but running on their map I feel as though I am running rich in some area's. Lot of carbon build up at muffler tips and some smoking but not using oil or antifreeze. I have been scared to fool with the map on my own and there are no dynojet dealers near me with any knowledge or dyno.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Well yes, if you look at their map they put 10's in the 0% throttle area trying to make up for the stall. :doh: This doesn't work and will cause a gigantic hot start problem, load up the combustion chamber, spark plug and pipe with black soot. I don't have my map in front of me, but I can get you started in the right direction.

So the first thing you want to do is turn off the autotune. Next select the 0% column and zero it out. Next select 2500 to 9000 rpm at 0% throttle and set to 1. 3250rpm to 9000 at 2% throttle set to 1. Open powercommander tools>features> check accel pump. Start with 2% trigger at 33 rpm and 10% fuel (might need more fuel). Any negative number in the 80 to 100% throttle area should be no less than a zero. Also study your fuel map, if you see a "3" in the middle of two "10's", obviously there was a lambda fart and should be averaged. If you wish to return to autotune, deselect the accel pump.

I think if you implement these steps, you will see a much larger positive from your riding experience. Baddrapp's 650 has aftermarket exhaust, air intake and injector. I'm sure these influenced the final performance I experienced.
    mag00 likes this.
  5. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I rode about 160 miles yesterday. Here is what I have found so far. The motor is alot smother. The throttle has smothed out, the delay is gone. The throttle is not jerky, twist the throttle and she takes off. No popping on deceleration. The stumble at about 2500 is gone. The bike has picked up power every where in the rpm range.

The bike is way more fun to ride. I think it's from having more power and the stumble or lag in the throttle is gone.
  6. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I do have the pod mod, gpr single exhaust with db killer installed, bigger injector, I moved the iat to the filter door with a plug in pig tail, and Pulstar plugs.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Also, you have the thermo delete and xf2. This runs the entire system cooler and may also have some influence.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  8. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Thank you very much! I have pod mod, GPR duals with only spark arrester, and Brisk plugs. I will fiddle with it when I have a free minute.

Tinken, I have never had a problem with over heating on this bike the fan has only come on very few times. I do ride this bike on some single track, mud, hill climbs and have generally abused this thing but it always stays about midway on temp gauge.
    I live in the mountains of West Virginia and rarely see temps above 80-85 deg, do you think the thermo delete would still be a benefit for me?

Thanks again for all your insight.

Tork
    nwrider1 likes this.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Interesting, I lived near you for a short time, mainly in Richmond. The thermo delete is more preventive as when the oem thermostat fails, there is severe overheating. But suprizingly we found more stability of cooler temps, it does flow a lot more. Not trying to turn this into a sales pitch, just trying to list all the modifications.
  10. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Oh I get what your saying about the heat. When my boys were racing KTM 50's I had one of there mini adventures (air cooled) set up exactly the same as a Pro JR (LC) and the mini would run right with the LC bikes for the first lap and then start to fall of.
    Tinken likes this.
  11. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I have done about 600 miles with the tune. She is still running great. I love the performance. I find my right wrist is twisting the throttle alot more. The bike has such great throttle response. I ride the 10 freeway which is known for its high speed of traffic flow. It seems the average speed is 80 mph. Today the flow was about 85 mph. I find the even doing 85 and accelerating to pass a vehicle is effortless. The motor seems to like to rev alot more then before. I just recieved my map switch so I can have a mileage map installed as the second map.
    Tinken likes this.
  12. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Tinken, I ride a 630 with a PCV and autotune and using your map btw. I'm curious why you would disable the accel pump feature if you leave the autotune running. I have the accell pump enabled and the autotune running and the bike runs extremely well.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Because the extra fuel from the accel pump will give a false reading on the lamda and try to compensate. It will work for a while, but there is no programming to only run the autotune during non 0% acceleration. Smooth acceleration needs different maping from whiskey throttle operation. This is why mapping alone doesn't work.
  14. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Makes perfect sense, my only thought was that the Autotune didn't see that quick transition and try to compensate. Maybe that's why my autotune map has some strange numbers in it.
    Thanks for the insight
  15. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Great work guys - tempted to try the PCV. Would love to compare it side by side with the AF-XIED which I use.
  16. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I also run AT enabled with the accell pump feature and it seems to work quite well. I haven't noticed any issues with it for over year now.

I see the theory of the issue, but I suspect it's a rather momentary condition. I'm using 20% trigger, 15 revs, 20% fuel adjust. 15 revs is a heart beat at 4-5k rpm.

But those settings work very well for me.

Did you have any cold start issues? I've finally solved mine. I'm not sure I should post it here. I was going to follow up with it in the thread I left off in.
  17. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    No cold start or hot start issues. She fires right up. Of your having cold start issues check your battery.
  18. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have zero ride ability issues. Like Baddrapp says the battery needs to be 100 %
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Not telling you what to do, so don't take this the wrong way only suggesting :D. 20% trigger (that's any throttle action from 0-20% open to trigger the added fuel) is too high. 15 revs is only a burst of fuel for less than half a second. So that's kind of like 9% fuel 1 second, but not really because it's over a shorter rpm range. I actually added 14% fuel on Bad's 650 for 1.1 seconds. When you whiskey throttle the 650, it actually takes longer than a second for the engine to fully recover from the sudden in-rush of air. But you wouldn't want to give it that much fuel from 10 or higher % of throttle up. The extra fuel during the 1.1 second burst is like layering a secondary map over top the original one for that instance. Running Autotune while running the accel function is the same as taking an AFR from a FCR carburetor + accel pump, and then trying to adjust the jets on a Lectron to compensate for not having the accel pump hooked up. Is that analogy right or am I off my rocker? I think that's right. :D
  20. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Yes, the ecu sees an extra rich o2 and tries to compensates by leaning the fuel charge. So your pcv richens the charge but the ecu is leaning out the charge. You are could be going past the point where the ecu can trim the fuel.