1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Paint questions, what have you used

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by scooter81, May 13, 2011.

1. scooter81 Husqvarna

I have a 1972 450 CR that I am currently working on, not sure how far Ill take it,
    nice to look at or just a cleaned up rider.
    Heres my question, what have you all found in a spray can that is a good match for the frame paint
    and what is a a close match for tank red and tank orange? I saw some Krylon colors that looked close. I could get the gun out and mix and shoot it but honestly looking for an easier way right now. Thanx in advance!
  2. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

scooter, I too am refreshing a 72 450.. I thought about just cleaning the carb & changing the gearbox oil, but as i got into it more I will probably be tearing down the engines seals etc...
    it kinda cascades on ya.
    but to answer your question i have used an air brush with paint from this guy: http://cyclecolor.com/
    its a 2 stage process so you need to clear coat.. but I've had great results..
    another site, but I have not tried it is;
    http://www.colorrite.com/
  3. scooter81 Husqvarna

Thanks Mike, I have restored a few vehicles and know how it goes. I have a 60 VW bus in the paint stage right now. This is just a sympathetic (cosmetic) restoration that will probably end up in the shop, behind the bar. I have all the equipment to do a bc/cc job, but no interest in taking it that direction. I found some Argent spray paint at the Ford dealer, its used on steel wheels and bumpers etc. I think it may be a good match for the frame as it has the right low gloss and the color seems pretty spot on. I am thinking I will just test a few brands of spray cans and see what is the closest to 450 tank orange. I just was curious if anyone had spray canned a tank to a close color match.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Dupli-Color 229 available at Autozone and others I was told is the closest match to Husqvarna silver in rattle cans. Bear in mind it will not hold up well on a rider as it is not as durable as powder coat and urethane b/c and single stage. If you want Bultaco Silver in PPG to spray it is close to Husqvarna silver as well, Code DAR 34926
  5. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Most off the shelf spray cans have too much matalic in them.I'm still looking for a spray can that matches.
  6. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    Why don't you have it matched with a paint chip off the frame? You can then spray it using a HVLF spray gun
  7. Dave Mills Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've used the Dupli-color stuff before and is ok stuff, easy to apply, decent finish. I know PJ1 makes some good frame paints, but I don't know if they make your color
  8. LarryC Husqvarna
    AA Class

PJ1 Coatings, KTM silver/grey 1998-2003 epoxy paint gave me good results. So far it's been durable as well. Bike was sandblasted to bare metal and used the PJ1 primer before applying color.
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My source on the Dupli-color-229 was recommended by the Mayer Bros who had a primo 79 390WR listed on eBay a couple years ago. It does not have a heavy metallic content and is a very close match to Husqvarna silver
  10. scooter81 Husqvarna

So a little more on this, I purchased Krylon #s 52411 pumpkin orange, and 52108 banner red, and test shot them on the 450s tank bottom without any prep., and they seem like close matches to Husky colors. The frame paint I tested is Motorcraft from Ford # pm19k207aa. I shot some on the upper frame tube and it too looked like a winner, maybe a little dull but certainly an option. I will try to get some pics up for you to compare.
  11. scooter81 Husqvarna

Here are the results of the paint test using the 52108 Banner Red mentioned above
    [IMG]
    I am happy with the color and shine etc...
    [IMG]
    Obviously not for a concourse restoration but with decals and clear over it it should be fine for
    what its for.
  12. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking through the Dupli-Color site I can't find 229. I can find T229, which is "Silver M" for a 2000 or earlier Ford.
    Is this the 229 you are referring to?
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It should be. I got mine at Autozone
  14. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

scooter81,
    Does the Krylon "Banner Red" stand up to gasoline or only for show?
    I like the color, but mines a rider.
    Thanks, Ron
  15. scooter81 Husqvarna

Ron..... I dont know. I would guess its not pre-mix friendly. I baked it in the oven (as shown) to dry it as much as I could, but mines a
    decoration only for now.