Overdrive 6th gear

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by motosportz mike, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Zim Husqvarna
    A Class

Buy the gear stick it in a draw and pull it out when the bigend needs doing sometime in the future,at least that will up the numbers to get a batch made
  2. TonyWilliams Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC-511, TE-510
    All interesting points. What if there was a package that put in a counter balance shaft kit at the same time (the actual parts are well under $200), or installed new bottom end bearings, or upgraded those bearings?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think the consensus is the price for the parts if fine for those that really want it but the removing the motor and splitting the cases is not going to go over well with most. Understandable. IF you are already getting into the motor the gear deal becomes much more appealing.
  4. wilmar13 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    1190R
    So it this dead on the vine? If feelers are still out I will add my name to the list as this is a no-brainer.
  5. wilmar13 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    1190R
    Consensus only matters to sheep! :p

I love everything about my SMR except its close ratio transmission... a taller 6th is all that keeps this bike from being fantastic. Close ratio 5 speed with overdrive? Yes please!

What will it take to get this going? If you put me in touch with the source I am willing to front the money for a few sets and even make a detailed DIY with photos to make sure I get my money back.I would think a batch of 10 sets is enough to spread the setup costs to a manageable level and would have enough takers if they had a road map to guide the install.
  6. javadog Husqvarna
    A Class

I have a 2011 husky TE 449 and a 6th overdrive would be great,but it uses the old beemer motor.
  7. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

So did this idea just die or was a higher gear actually made?
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Tinken did it on his bike. It's over in the Zip Ty forum
  9. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

thats the new 511 but I need it for the older te510. :(
  10. Matt Shield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT 175J, Montesa enduro 125L
    I have my cases apart now and would love a taller 6th to slot in. However mine is the 2010 TE250.
  11. xlite250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    Hey, sorry to revive a dead thread, but I’m looking for the part number for taller 6th gear for a 2010 x lite 250. I’m currently rebuilding my engine, so cases are apart.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Mike Hathaway "Tinken" did nothing of the sort to his 511 6 speed transmission in his bike. He pulled the entire 6 spd. transmission out and replaced it with the BMW G450X 5 spd. transmission gear set. Which has 20% wider gears than the narrower 6 spd gears, for additional strength. The BMW transmission ratios have a deeper/lower first gear ratio, larger gaps between each gear ratio then the Husky TE 6 spd. has and 5th gear is a taller overdrive ratio than the 6th is in the TE gearbox.
    I'm doing the same thing on my TC 449 engine right now. Which has a 5 spd box that is close ratio. All 5 of the the gear ratios in it are the same as the first 5 gears as the TE 6 spd 449/511 models transmission but being a 5 spd. they are again 20% physically wider/thicker and there isn't a 6th gear at all. Anyone interested in doing this same engine mod can do what I did. You can buy complete low mile BMW G450X gearbox sets from low hour used and dismantled G450X on Ebay just about anytime. You can find entire transmissions available for sale to do this for under $300.00, add to that all the internal shafts, shift drum and other related internal engine components from the same engine and they are only going to set you back about $75.00 more. Its a direct swap.
    bax3, Huskynoobee and NH-JP like this.
  13. Mehusieni Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 510 (2008)
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you still make these? I have the cases apart and would love a longer 6th gear. Does the entire gearbox need to be replaced or just the 6th gear/gears?
  14. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

i would like a set for my SMR 450 i can prepay to get the numbers up for production . is this a dead deal or still in process price is very fair if you ask me.