Options for improving TR650 forks....

Discussion in 'TR650' started by turtlemoye, Apr 28, 2014.

1. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I'll start by saying I honestly don't know much about how suspension really works. I do know that we are limited with the adjustments with the stock fork and I'm curious what others have done or have considered.

I'm about 240#s so at the very least I know I'm underspung for my weight but I've heard many others mention bottoming out the fork in the ruff stuff. I also ran across these preload adjusters today on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291029970489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Can the forks be rebuilt or swapped? I don't know if the forks on a Sertao are the same but I've heard similar complaints about those and a guy I met said he was swapping the internals for those from a YZ250 I think.

Any other options or ideas?
  2. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
  3. RacerAV Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Honda Ruckus, many others before
    From what I've read around here, our forks are 'un-swappable' or close to it. I had the same hinkering. I'd love to have some more travel, an aluminum swing arm, better front shocks, but I don't think there is much out there that's cost effective. With enough money, anything is possible, but the customer base just isn't there... sadly. I LOVE my Terra. But it is what it is, or so I'm told.
  4. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Even if we can't do a full swap exploring different spring and fork oil options should help. Curious if those preload adjusters might be worth it as well.
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    There is a cartridge replacement called the "Shiver Fork Conversion" by Konflict Suspensions.

Our fork internals are one cartridge and not rebuildable or adjustable with the exception of changing the fork oil weight which provides a minor benefit but nothing that would improve overall service and ride. Setting your static and rider sag should be considered to get optimal performance from the available suspension.

Another thing to consider is that our forks each have separate operating parameters., one is compression and the other rebound. Fork oil height can also help with better performance. You can add 4 or 5cc's at a time to each tube (after measuring current height of course). To do this put the bike on a lift with the forks fully extended, pull the cap, measure current height and add oil a little at a time. Re-cap and try it. You may have to do this several times. If you get too much in the forks you can remove it with a syringe and plastic tube (think turkey injector).

I am reasonably sure that the Husky has 46MM Sachs forks and Sachs rear shock. The forks are not wimpy by any means but the internals leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps a retrofit to another bikes 46mm forks would be a viable option?
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    turtlemoye likes this.
  7. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

That's the wrong TR650. That is for the Chinese CFMoto 650TR...surprised they actually have aftermarket for it to be honest. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1306_cfmoto_650tr_first_ride/ At that price point, I'm surprised they sell any. The side by sides they make are supposed to be decent, but $8k for a Chinese "lond distance" tourer, that scares me.

Onto the forks...I would think someone fed up enough, with a couple blocks of billet and a machine shop at their disposal, could make a replacement set of triple clamps, to bolt up, lets say KYB 48mm. The lowers wouldn't swap between a 46 and 48, but they are a cheap, readily available fork on the used market, and are very adjustable. The wheel options would be pretty much, cast 17s or anything you can spoke to a YZ, Husky, Honda, etc, front rim.
  8. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Good catch.
    Yikes. $1500-$2K might not be much for most BMW owners but I'm just not spending that much on a $6K bike. I guess I'll try the fork oil option but I'm really bummed out I can't at least swap the springs.
    Tinken likes this.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  10. Dutchgit Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 650 X-Co BMW F650 Dakar
    I suppose that if the one leg is compression and the other is rebound you could try different weight oil in either of them, maybe get some different rate springs from Hyperpro or the likes if/when they are available.
    A heavier oil in the compression leg could ( i think) give you less bottoming out. Put some bigger spacers in to increase preload etc etc
    pasomonte likes this.
  11. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    It is a cartridge suspension.
  12. Dutchgit Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 650 X-Co BMW F650 Dakar
    Ah okay, I actually had to do some research there :busted:

But heavier oil won't change a thing then ?
  13. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Actually the Chinese dissing reference is pretty funny seeing the motor in the TR HUsky is Chinese made Loncin and BMW 650 and the parrallel twin 800's are as well . I have both and there are pretty good items. In fact the entire F800R is made in China and the worst thing about it is the plastics quality and the GERMAN designed CAN BUS error architecture which SUCKS.
    In a nutshell:
    Heavier oil WILL change things. The compression damping will increase so it will be harder to bottom on the initial compression stroke. BUT if the heavier oil also increases the rebound too much the fork will "pack" on repeated oscillations and bottom or feel like it is bottoming. If the compression AND the rebound is too low it will improve as you increase the viscosity until the rebound is too high. So there will be a positive effect.
    The only proper way to improve it is to get springs that will give the proper sag for you ( and gear) taking into account riding style and riding environment ( smooth tar or off road for example). THEN match the oil viscosity to those springs. Of course that is assuming the valving is coirrect which it isn't. The TR forks and shock do not hand square bumps well at all.
    SO the TR needs fork correct springs and revalving to your purpose ( the least expensive method and it will work properly) and a new shock ( not cheap but the most necessary in my opinion). I found the rear spring rate is OK for my 84kg but most aftermerket shocks end up needing their spring ( different free length, internal diameters spring terminatiions etc)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Actually the CFMoto 650cc tourer has been torture tested in Australia by a couple of blokes I know who rode them across the country and back, over 10,000km in less than a week. They were accompanied by another rider on a BMW who was performing photographic and assistant duties on the ride. The BMW arrived at the finish on a tow truck a couple of days after the CFMotos had completed the ride.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  15. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    It has been documented on the F800 that a low buck shiver conversion has been done. It requires purchasing a shiver version of 45mm forks and stripping the insides out. The lower fork extension need to be machined to have the adjuster and valve added to the bottom of the fork. Then having the proper spacer to limit the travel and revalve. Then it is installed inside our stock forks.

There is also companies making a fork replacement kit for the 650GS. It adapts the our smaller axle to the larger Yamaha axle and adapters for the caliper. The forks would still need to be limited on travel and revalved.

I don't know when it is all said and done anyone would be saving enough money then just going to Konflict and having his shiver conversion with all new parts.

I still have to run the bike by Zip Ty and have them take a look at the suspension. This coming week is booked solid, maybe next week. I will update when I get it over to Zip Ty.
    Tinken likes this.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We'd actually like to take a look into the forks. We are the US distributor for Marzocchi and we make those adapter items for Marzocchi. But I am curious what Ty can do without going to that extent.
  17. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Tinken, I can see if I can drop the bike off. Do you have an guess how long you would need the bike?
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Not off the top of my head, depends on what Ty has going. I can ask tomorrow.
  19. Jesper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VT250 Spada
    No. The F650/700/800 twin engines are made by Rotax in austria and assembled in germany.
    The G650 engine is made by Loncin in China, and the C600/650 engines are made by Kymco and so were the G450 engine.
  20. O.e.hansson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650
    Something like this. image.jpg image.jpg
    WyND, jawjo, Coltx and 3 others like this.