opinions on saddle bags

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by rajobigguy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. rajobigguy Administrator

2. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't have a 610 but have thought about something extra to carry stuff on my longer rides instead of having it all on my back! They look decent but didn't notice anything about being waterproof/water resistant..

I know if I owned them and they weren't I end up going down on my first water crossing.
  3. wulf22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

They are not bad. I used a similar type of saddle bag on sportbikes. They work good for commuting, but are not water proof and are hard to clean once they get dirty. If you are using them for on road use they should work.
  4. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

They look a lot like what I got, buddy bought them for $10.00 at a wholesale store, but decided against using them, I got them for what he paid. Haven't used them yet so I can't comment on their durability or how waterproof they are. I'd have to check the brand to make sure, but they look heavy duty
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

So far as water proof, they have a waterproof liner but the bags themselves are not waterproof.
    My intended use would be mostly for street use or long haul dual sport trips. I would still be useing my backpack for more aggressive off road where I might be weaving around trees or doing water crossings.
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I bought doggy panniers at my local pet supply store and washed `em in waterproofing stuff. Cost me about $30. Not the most heavy-duty option out there, but I've put a lot of miles (and biffs) on them and they've held up admirably. Haven't put them on the Husky yet, but they've been the cat's meow on my KTM. I was kind of thinking about DirtBagz on the 610.

WoodsChick
  7. rajobigguy Administrator

Dirt bagz seem to be the popular choice for the Huskies but I just can't warm up to the pony express look. I guess I need to make a trip to Petco and see what a doggie pannier looks like.
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Huge fan of the doggy option. Mine are red!
    Lots of tough baja miles at high speeds, jumping, woops, hitting it hard--man i just cant break those things. My buddies are amazed, nobody thought they would last 10 miles.

got mine at REI. large dog size.

Nice and light. I use a bunch of mickey mouse super giant zip ties to keep it on, and mount the seat OVER the bags--but its not for everyone.

Rubbing on the pipe is the only issue--some ceramic type muffler wrap is the ticket, over the can.

One thing about off road panniers--well two things--make sure they are flexible, not hard cases, and make sure you have stuff sacks for stuff inside or it will all be very dusty at the end of the day.

I put a super light tent on top, summer sleeping bag on one side, flip flops shorts, t shirt, hat and stuff on the other side.

Nothing better than sleeping on the lawn at Mikes Sky Ranch in my little tent right by the pool and hearing all those guys snoring with each other in the rooms....you will see what i mean on the baja ride!
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    LOL! Yeah, I'm not exactly crazy about the way they look, either:rolleyes:

Here are my doggy panniers. Don't be fooled by the velcro mounting pad; they are almost impossible to rip off of the pad even when I'm trying...

I used a medium mounting pad (slides right over the seat) but large panniers...

[IMG]

Underside of mounting pad with all straps cut off. I used zip-ties to hold the nylon straps together...

[IMG]

The bags actually ride further back than shown in this photo...

[IMG]

Bags in action...

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

OK you all have me convinced that the doggy bags are worth looking into.
    Is petco a good place to look for them or is there some super secret doggy apparel place that I need to go to?
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well...since you were so helpful with the lighting issue I guess I can tell you that my super-secret doggy apparel place happened to be Pet Club, but I've seen `em at many different stores. Mine were on the cheaper end of the scale but I like the reflective stripe on `em.

Also, I put my heavy stuff in my backpack and put the bulky stuff in the panniers. I usually carry my gas bottles in them, though, without any trouble.
    Mine don't get hot at all.

If you have anything that absolutely must stay dry, like spare gloves or something, put `em in a zip-lock.

Another option is going to an army surplus store. Eric got these cool French grenade bags...or whatever they were...for $14 for the set and he loves `em.
    Completely waterproof with a built-in dry bag with a roll-down top, and he only used all the straps and buckles and various hardware that came with them. Kinda funky, I know, but cheap, effective and 100% waterproof. I wouldn't put them on my Huksy, though:p Talk about too Pony Express...:rolleyes:

[IMG]

WoodsChick