On wheel/chain alignment (feedback requested)

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Jul 27, 2016.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi all-

I'm curious on your experiences with this- how it looks on your 630's...

Last night I replaced my chain/sprockets. Now I know it's not best but typically I eyeball things- sight down the chain, use a screwdriver (from edge of the swingarm to just barely touching side of rim, both sides), and loosely go by the swingarm hash marks (but don't pay those too much attention as they're known to be inaccurate, in general.) The space in front of the axle blocks and the close equidistance of the adjusters is usually close enough to call it the same.

Now this time I used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool- seems pretty handy. This is it:

http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0048

After I did that my right side block is further back by almost a full hash mark. Visually there's a clear distance difference (not huge, but like 3-4mm.) It just feels wrong, but the tire seems to spin neatly straight and the MP tool, well, shouldn't lie (in that it is what it is- and the rod is right on w/ the line of the chain.)

Are your hash marks off by that much? Just curious. I know I'm obsessive about the little things, BTW, and I should also measure from center axle each side to center axle of swingarm pivot point, each side.

Thanks!
  2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The hash marks are on the part before it is welded to the swing arm, so they are not true.

They are only good for initial install of chain.
    Best place to adjust and check chain alignment is in the back of a pickup, because it is easier to sight down the sprockets.
    Don't look at the chain look thru it you will be able to see the sprocket alignment then adjust from there.
    Later george
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks George. Yeah- I'm not gonna load it up on a truck over this :) but sure, that does offer a great sight line. I think I'll go low, instead of it going high. :) Looking through the chain to see the sprocket is good advice.