Oil Pump Cover Leak - Replacing Parts Question

Discussion in '610/630' started by jtemple, Sep 11, 2010.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    As some of you know, my new TE630 has been leaking oil around the oil pump cover since I got it. I have replaced all of the seals twice, and even tried gasket sealer. The leak has slowed considerably, but is still seeping.

Anyway, Hall's shipped me a new clutch cover, oil pump cover and seals, free of charge. Here in an hour or so, I'm going to replace the whole works in hopes of finally stopping this leak once and for all.

Supposedly, you aren't required to use gasket sealer on the gasket. I pulled the clutch cover once already, in order to clean the internal oil screen (first service interval) and in doing so replaced the clutch cover gasket. No sealant was used, and there are no leaks.

I have a big trip coming up this coming weekend, and I'd like to get the leak stopped for good beforehand. I'd hate to button this thing up and have it leak again. At best, that would have me riding a leaky bike and waiting for yet another set of seals from Hall's.

The oil pump seals are pretty small. There's hardly any room on them to get a good amount of sealant on there, and there's the danger of it squishing into the oil pump internals and clogging something. But, with a toothpick or something, I can put a pretty fine bead around things.

Should I put gasket sealer on the oil pump gasket at all, or use it dry, as intended? What do you think?
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Well, it's all put back together. I just made sure everything was clean & dry before re-assembling it. I have a new clutch cover, oil pump cover, and all oil pump seals. I took it out for a quick 45 min ride around town and it's still bone dry. I think I might be out of the woods!