Now that you bought the TR650 - where ya gonna go?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Coffee, Oct 24, 2012.

1. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Are you trailering and stashing your rig and other bike? Then after segments/ loops switching up? Sounds like retirement sucks! Have fun, be safe, and post pics!
    chickabee and HuskyDude like this.
  2. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Not much of a trip compared to some on here. But over the Canada Day long weekend I spent a day and a 1/2 and 1100 km doing the southern interior of BC. Geography ranges from Coastal rain forest to desert and canyon. On my last day thru the Fraser Canyon it hit 40c. The bike perfromed wonderful except for a couple small issues, i'll make a seperate thread for. Not many pictures since I was busy riding!

Here's a link of the route I did. Hopefully it works.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...447538407044.0004e06d7580e8ea004d9&dg=feature
    20130628_171724.jpg 20130630_162638.jpg 20130628_171724.jpg 20130630_161751.jpg 20130630_161950.jpg
    AvidR, krussell, nev.. and 3 others like this.
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :eek: Hey That's my back yard...
    Great pics eca. Looks very familiar.

The KML or KMZ files you sent didn't work...I think Coffee is working on that...Google Earth also uses that file format. It would be cool to see your ride.:thumbsup:
  4. Tazzierob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Yamaha XT600
    Been through some of that on a 13hr bus ride from Van to Prince George, though I think we might have taken the #5 from Hope to Kamloops. Dunno, was more than 10 years ago now. My old man lives over on Vancouver Island. Would love to go riding around BC :thumbsup:
  5. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Yeah I thought about using google earth, but I'm still not very good at it yet.;)
    The #5 is one of those highways that you don't ride a motorcycle on. Its a great big straight slab surrounded by twisty mountain roads. I ride Van Ilse quite often. Very nice place to ride.
  6. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    The link worked for me, although i had to copy it and paste it into google maps.
  7. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)

Since you live in Kamloops are you doing the Loose Screw this year?
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Just checked the dates...I'm on holidays from Aug 2 till ??? I know we have a family camping trip plan over that time, but I'll have to check the dates.
  9. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)

So I fixed the link. I also discovered that on the maps page in the side bar the is a KML link, that when clicked, downloads and opens the route in Google Earth! thought I'd pass that tip along.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thx... That's a great ride Eh? And so much better to look at on G/E

Tell me we're not spoiled with our back yard tours.:busted:
  11. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Yeah, we have access to a lot of amazing landscapes. I usually ride that route every other summer. Nothing like a windy road and the smell of sage and ponderosa pine on a hot day. I'd really like to explore the Fraser canyon up passed highway 12. Not sure of access there though.
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I've been as far as Lillooet on Hwy 12. My FAV day ride, although all paved is...
    this one or KML

Haven't done it on my TR yet just my old 1100 Katana.

Just say when and we'll go check it out.:thumbsup:
  13. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have never gone off-highway with a bike before, and I haven't been on a bike in several years. Well, I broke in the new Strada today and drove up Rollins Pass Road in Colorado. This was a great road for a first experience. It's an old railroad grade, so it doesn't get steep, has plenty of room and isn't very loose. It is definitely not smooth, though, and is constant rocks all the way up. I didn't generally get above 15mph, though certain sections were smoother than other allowing for a few short lived up-shifts. The road is about 10 miles one way to the top, where it goes through a very narrow tunnel. The tunnel has been closed for some time now, so once you get up there, it's back down the way you came. I wasn't able to quite make it to the top since there was still some significant snow drifts (July in the mountains, what can I say). I hiked the last 3+ miles up to the tunnel. The Strada did great and just chugged along, bouncing happily the whole way. I think it was itching for a more experienced rider, though. I bought the bike to ease myself into doing some off-highway stuff and I think I chose perfectly. It was a great ride.

2013-07-06 at 18-18-35.jpg 2013-07-06 at 21-21-25.jpg 2013-07-06 at 20-25-45.jpg 2013-07-06 at 22-45-45.jpg
  14. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Here's a couple of the tunnel.

2013-07-06 at 19-51-57.jpg 2013-07-06 at 20-27-18.jpg 2013-07-06 at 20-28-35.jpg
    mag00, krussell, HuskyDude and 5 others like this.
  15. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Well, my trip had a nice twist thrown into it. I had a voice mail when I stumbled across cell coverage Friday night that the dealer had my new radiator at the shop. So, I slabbed 300 miles to the dealer Saturday morning, put in a top end and a radiator, and hauled out and raced Sunday. 1200 miles in 3 days on the Strada, followed by a 2nd place finish in B-class at a hot, dusty, and rough course.

Back to the Strada though. It was great. Most of the trip was 2 lane, I through in some gravel on Thursday to mix it up cutting south through Kansas. Hit a nice rain storm in Oklahoma. Made camp and watched some fireworks. Road 9 hours of 2 lane twisties Friday, that will wear you out. But the bike just loved it, leaned and twist and it just purred along. Made camp, and went looking for gas and beer. Turns out I was in a dry county, so I took off across 2 counties to find a six pack. Best warm beer, I've ever had. Not only was it a dry county, but I could only get 87 octane. Bike still ran fine on it, but I was happy to hit a BP and get some 93 in it to flush that crap out.

I didn't keep track of the mileage each tank, but I did the math in my head as I was riding. I averaged between 55 and 60 mpg most of the time, I hit as high as 70 at one point. BRmoto racks worked a dream with my little Wolfman Monarch Pass bags. I had a dry sack 30L duffle up top with my tent, sleeping pad, towel, and sheet in there. it strapped on there nicely.

My only issue the whole trip was on my way home, my cell phone charger I wired up quit working. But that's all on me.
  16. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    Did my first longer camping trip with my new Husqvarna. The wife on her Versys (with 19" front wheel conversion) and me on the Terra left Cave Junction, OR for a 4 day camping trip on the morning of the 4th of July for the Hart Mountains Antelope Refuge & Hotsprings in South Eastern OR, exploring the Steens Mountains for a day, then heading south through Plush and Adel, OR for Fort Bidwell and Cedarville, CA on Modoc County Rd 1, swinging NW through Alturas, CA to Merrill, OR for a much needed Motel room and hot shower. Sunday we came home through Klamath Falls, OR on 140, riding "Dead Indian Memorial Road" (no joke, that is the name) to Ashland, OR then I5 North and 199 home to the Illinois Valley. 850 miles total, about 200 on gravel/dirt, much of it pretty rough washboard.
    The Terra performed just flawless. What a great bike. Did part of that ride the year before on my Triumph Tiger 955i, beating me to pieces. I think I found my perfect bike with the Terra.
    [IMG]
    Ready to leave
    [IMG]
    Short break on the way
    [IMG]
    A must stop on the way in Paisley, OR
    [IMG]
    Albert Lake, HWY 395
    [IMG]
    Hogback Road to the Hart Mountains
    [IMG]
    Steens Mountains at 9500' looking down in the Alvord Desert
    [IMG]
    Another look down to the dry lake bed
    [IMG]
    Obligatory Antelope picture at the wildlife refuge
    [IMG]
    Camp
    [IMG]
    Headed towards home
    [IMG]
    Upper Alkali Lake headed for Cedarville
    [IMG]
    Cedarville
    [IMG]
    Last night on the road. Bummer!
    Motel in Merrill, OR.
    AvidR, HuskyDude, Coffee and 8 others like this.
  17. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    FabOneUp and I are loading and will be ready tonight to head out on the COBDR tomorrow morning. We have a nice route planned across CO from Divide to the Four Corners area and will ride some passes that neither of us have done to date. We spent most of the morning mounting RotoPax to our bikes, mainly for extra fuel when we get to the Browns Park area. I don't think we will need it until then. We will camp some and motel some. Oh Yeah, my AltRider bars came in an mounted up like a breeze.

I changed my oil this afternoon and made a sad, kind of, discovery. When the dealer changed oil for me he first time, he pinched he brake signal line between the case and he counter shaft sprocket cover. Because the cover didn't go on just right, he forced the screws in and managed to strip the first four threads on the cover screws. I chased the threaded holes with a tap and reinstalled, and I think it will be OK for this trip. I will have to install some HeliCoils when I get home though. Watch out for how that electrical line is routed.

We will take pics along he way but will not post until we return.
    mario33, kjackbrown, Chuffa and 5 others like this.
  18. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Have fun and be safe. It sounds like a great trip. I'm quite envious.
    kjackbrown likes this.
  19. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    A bloke I've ridden with once before rang me up & said "I'm going for a ride next Wednesday. Want to ride along?"

How can you say no to that? General plan is to loop the south west of west Australia. About 2000km round trip if you take a direct route - we won't !!

[IMG]
    Bigonions, eca, Coffee and 1 other person like this.
  20. William Clark Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 yamaha rt100 (sons bike)
    I am gonna ride every forrest sevice/dnr/fire road i can find in the eastern Olympic mountain range.
    TE250Guy and Coffee like this.