Now that you bought the TR650 - where ya gonna go?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Coffee, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 Yam FZR600, 2018 Kaw Z900RS
    I just picked up my Strada yesterday and will do a pre ride inspection tomorrow. Planning to rediscover all the roads in the Md,Pa,Wv,Va Appalachian mountains that were so enjoyable when I had my DRZ400 SM. I think the Strada will be even more enjoyable with the extra fuel capacity, power and torque. Won't be able to go too far as I am pretty busy, but it will be fun putting together different loops depending on how much or how little time I have!
  2. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    One of my planned trips was to ride back to the dealer is Asheville, NC. This involved about 120 miles on I-26. I thought this might be a bit of a trial because I don't especially like riding on the interstates. It turned out to be a piece of cake. Speeds are limited 65 mph on this stretch of the highway due to the hills and curves. The Terra handled it well.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I just got home from a week on the Indonesian Island of Bali. Managed a short ride this evening. Got to love our mild winter weather. Since I put the heated grips on a few weeks ago I just went out in my summer gloves.

[IMG]
    Ol'NumNuts, TE250Guy and Tazzierob like this.
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I have hundreds of miles of interstate under my Terra now (difficult to avoid in Texas), including long stretches at the posted 80 mph speed limit. Even with my knobby front the bike is fine if you don't mind the wind blast. I much prefer to keep it at around 65 just for comfort, but if you have to get out there and mix it up, the bike is game.
    AvidR, HuskyDude and krussell like this.
  5. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Well, I had a good "Adventure" ride this weekend. Did 800 miles in 3 days including the Black Dog Dual Sport in Hood River, OR. I left Friday a.m. for Oregon and planned on taking the scenic route mixing forest roads etc working my way south. One of the only ways through the mountains was FR25 (paved) and there was no signs saying it was closed. I met another rider on a KTM 990 that was turned around because of logging? I wasn't happy about this. There were two other dirt options I knew of to get through, but the snow would be the x factor...The KTM rider was rather conservative and not willing to "risk" it so he took a 200 mile freeway detour. No way was I doing that! I made it 24 miles up FR23 toward Trout Lake and found this:
    Show Stopper # 2 @ 4000' It was worse around the bend. :banghead:
    bd2.JPG

So I rode back out 24 miles and decided I'd try FR29 as I knew it was a shortcut...
    Show Stopper # 3 50' deep! :eek:
    bd3.JPG
    Now, I'm getting pretty frustrated and I'm not going to take the damn highway all the way around. So, I'm low on gas and head into the town of Randle and re-fuel. It's about 4 PM now and I figure loggers like beer and get off early. Screw it, I'm going 25+ miles back up FR25 and seeing if anyone is hanging around that gate...I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but it's what I did. I went around the closed gate and started cruising up a perfectly clear road. There was NO reason for it to be closed. Several Harley riders were screwed out of their plans because of this. Early into my sneak-thru I see a truck coming the other way. Sh%t! Forest ranger! He hits his brakes and lights but can't turn around too good so I just pinned it and never looked back. I made it to the other gate 20 miles away and more Harley riders were sitting there. They heard me coming and asked if I was running from someone:cool:. They high-fived me for having the globes to do what I did. Anyway, I made it to the fairgrounds and set up camp in Hood River Oregon: 330 miles on the day.
    bd4.JPG
    The Black Dog is a GREAT event and this was my first year. The B course killed a few GS1200's and some other big bikes, but it was perfect for the Terra. Scenery, dirt roads, two-track and snow and mud. This was DEEP!
    bd5.JPG
    More pics to come
    Thumpa, nev.., FabOneUp and 5 others like this.
  6. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Good Views:
    bd6.JPG
    Chow Stop. Thanks to all the Volunteers who fed us!
    bd8.JPG
    This was SO COOL! An Oregon Trail pioneer woman's grave marker in the woods from the 1840's. I love history, and this really stopped me and made me think and reflect:
    bd7.JPG
    The B route was 160 miles and awesome. I got back to the fairgrounds and had a cold beer I bought at a gas station. 30 minutes later my feet got itchy and I broke camp and headed for Washington to camp in the mountains and find a river to fly fish:
    set2.JPG
    Thumpa, FabOneUp, TE250Guy and 2 others like this.
  7. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    For dinner I had Top Ramen and Hot Chocolate with Jack Daniels additive:
    bd10.JPG

The next morning I took the longest way home I could:
    Just squeaked thru here:
    bd11.JPG

bd1.JPG
    Too bad this one didn't turn out. The mountain was amazing behind that lake.
    bd12.JPG

Made it home with a slightly sore arse and a mind full of good memories. A good solo mission was what the doctor ordered - mental health ya know! And one thing is for sure: The TERRA Rules. What a great Freedom Machine!:cheers:
    krider59, nev.., eca and 5 others like this.
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was supposed to put this in the SPOT thread, but it doesn't seem to fit. Much better here unless they run me off again. Codger is now on the Stewart-Cassier Highway just below the Yukon, on his way to Prudhoe Bay. Here are some pics from his trip, which started in Houston.

Ten days ago, I believe in Idaho or Wyoming

[IMG]
    Two days later, in Canada I believe
    [IMG]

Codger spent a few days in Vancouver, BC, visiting.
    [IMG]
    And added a windscreen
    [IMG]

Looks cold up there!
    [IMG]
    The crew
    [IMG]
    Wish I was along on this trip, but it just didn't work into my plans. I am going to do it though, maybe next year. More as I get it. The Terra is doing just fine, and covering the miles. Some of their days are L O N G!
    krider59, Thumpa, FabOneUp and 7 others like this.
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Ya and if you do make sure you swing by here. One more TR heading North would be a good thing.
    Boy can them guys put on the miles.:eek:
    Kevin said he would try and get on here to share his ride with us. And by the sounds of it we're in for a treat all summer.

CoderRider
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kevin sent a pic today; he's in Inuvik, NWT, at the end of the Dempster Highway. He has to have the Terra adventure record by now. Next year he plans on going to Ushuia, and I wonder if he will take the Terra or his GS.
    [IMG]
    krider59, Chuffa, mario33 and 6 others like this.
  11. rajavw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    V Strom
    Trip1.JPG Trip2Juan.JPG 113.1 Mile Maiden Voyage.
    Bakersfield-Arvin-Bear Valley Springs (Via Comanche Peak - a fire road)-Tehachapi-Bakersfield(via Wofford Tehachapi Road passing the Tehachapi Loop)

My friend Juan A. (DRZ400s) met me at Starbucks in DNTN Bakersfield. We proceed out to Arvin, CA via Chester and Union Ave. then to Bear Mountain. Once in Arvin, we took Comanche Peak out to Stallion Springs. This was the first time that I rode a dirt road since I broke my Tib/Fib when I totaled my 08 KLR650 on 4/2010! The Terra performed well on the hard pack fire road with occasional bits of sand. Much to our surprise, we met a young SWISS solo ADV mountain biker who was riding his bicycle around the world. We took country roads into Tehachapi where we had lunch at Thai Palms. -We will save the Thai Massage for next time.
    We returned to Bakersfield via Wofford Tehachapi Road where we stopped a the Tehachapi Loop. Not a minute later, a westbound train showed up. How lucky was that?

Attached Files:

HuskyDude, kjackbrown, nev.. and 3 others like this.
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am busy putting the finishing touches on the Terra in preparation for riding the COBDR with FabOneUp in early July. New D908 (tough tire to mount!), 15T countershaft sprocket, and Rotopax mount are on or will be soon. My new notebook computer came in today and I need to load BaseCamp and all of my routes so that I can make changes and update on the trail or road. I thought about taking the 630 for the CDR but will do it on the Terra instead, assuming that the COBDR goes OK. Three other friends and I are doing the CDR from the Jackson WY area north. They already completed the southern portion, and I'm joining in with them to "finish". Man, I would love to come back on the Tour of Idaho route, but can't find a riding partner for that. Next year I guess, unless I do the TAT again. Yeah, I know, retirement is pure hell.....
  13. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a vacation the 3rd week in July and plan to ride from Gaylord Mi to Millville for Mx national and then to Iowa to a vintage museum and back home. I still have some stuff to put on the bike for the trip. Can't wait.
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    North over the Mackinaw bridge then through the Upper Peninsula?

Regardless, take bug repellent!
  15. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, I will be going over the Big Mac, I went to my in-laws 60th. wedding ann. and when I got home I had my sw centerstand and Kouba Lowering link had been delivered. They will go on
    tomorrow. I got a great idea from my brother in-law over a brew to take the S.S. Badger ferry across Lake Michigan and I will follow the coast line back home. I am starting to get pumped.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Taking the ferry on the return sounds like a great idea!
    nev.. likes this.
  17. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Several friends and I do this ride on Thurdays eves. for dinner. Try to get to Tehachapi before dark. Then ride home the same way you did after dinner.
    rajavw likes this.
  18. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Taking off for my first trip tonight after work. Short ride to a race site for a 4th of July harescramble tomorrow, to finish tuning my brother's WR144 with me Lectron carb on it. Then in the morning, taking it on down to Oklahoma. Then Friday, I'll run the Talimena scenic highway, and through I think every crazy road through the NW region of Arkansas, then Saturday making my way up through Missouri backroads, to a harescramble on Sunday, so I can pit/wrench for my brother since my WR300 is down with a hole in the radiator. Then back home that night. Should be somewhere between 1100 and 1500 miles (I only really planned a route for the first two days). I'm going to have extra time on Saturday, so I may wander around a bit.
    nev.. and TE250Guy like this.
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Have to pack some clothes yet but otherwise I'm loaded and ready to head to the West starting about midnight tonight. I'll try to get some sleep between 8PM and then. COBDR, then part of the CDR, then the CAM 1000, and then Heart of the West route. I'll cover Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming before coming back home toward the end of September. I'm taking my two Huskys; TR650 and TE630. 'Plan to give them both a good workout! Yipee!
    kjackbrown, mario33, krussell and 4 others like this.
  20. chickabee Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    always in front of me!
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha xt250
    Bring your appetite Ken! We look forward to seeing you again