NOW I find out about the sidestand issue...

Discussion in '610/630' started by venture4th, Aug 14, 2008.

1. venture4th Husqvarna
    B Class

There I was, in my shed, happily getting rugged up for my ride to work, hit the starter, letting my 08TE610 idle itself warm. All looks, good, so turn around to get my helmet on, facing the bike with my side and BANG! It's fallen over, landing on the side of the knee, taking me down in a heap with it as I pivot to try and avoid a ligament snap. Grrrr:mad: Got on and rode to work, but have spent the day hobbling between ice packs to try and keep the knee going.

What's the deal? Has my new italian love been hitting the bottle overnight and needing to fall over or lean on for me support in the morning? Getting jealous becuase I parked it under the mountain bikes, so giving me a piece of her mind? Manual doesn't mention a drinking problem for them (:confused:).

Have trawled tonight and found out some more about the sidestand issue affecting a few other folk, so its out with the grinder when I can bend my leg again to take the head off the bolt to prevent the retraction issue from biting me again. Had it happen twice again in the afternoon (missed the first one, caught the second). Watch out for that one, those of you who aren't aware of the issue. X-rays 2morrow morning, dammit, make sure the Fib hasn't cracked. Just when I'm starting to really enjoy it.. Haven't had this issue with the TE250..Have dropped the 610 more in 4 days now than the last 2yrs+ with the 250..
  2. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

Bummer. Good luck on that leg. Hope it is just tender, and not something more serious. I have been debating welding a larger footprint to the bottom the stand on my 450, as it is making me nervous. It hasn't fallen yet....
  3. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you park it uphill it usually doesn't have a problem. I also have a small piece of carpet that I put under the stand in the garage that reduces the vibes being transfered to the stand.
  4. venture4th Husqvarna
    B Class

I thought the same re the uphill and had parked it on a sloping slab at work - fell over there too.. will give the carpet idea a go in the garage. Maybe even strap a piece onto the rack to cart around everywhere..I'm sure a small grinder session on the head of the bolt will get some improvement..
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    You can indeed cut that stud off. If you do that on your bolt will it still have the hex part left? Or is it like my 2006 TE250 that would require cutting a slot to use a screwdriver?
  6. trail nazi Husqvarna
    A Class

i believe the wr 250 bolt goes right in and makes the stand "normal" just dont ride off with it down, i had a friend who died that way...:eek:
  7. Low Down Husqvarna
    B Class

Cut that stud off the first chance you get, and you will be golden! I hope you get good news after the X-rays are taken.
  8. venture4th Husqvarna
    B Class

Will lose the Hex part, so will require creating a slot. I noted that JD's here in Australia sell a bolt for just this purpose..[IMG]

I noticed that the frame on the 610 has mounting points for a centrestand-anyone know of one that has been fitted? I used to run one on my old 96'KTM300, loved how easy maintenance became with it fitted.

Xray appears clear, so most likely to be soft tissue damage- now just need to ensure the Tib-Fib ligaments are intact.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Bolts are available for that purpose, Motoportz lists them on their website.

That bolt needs to be removed when disassembling the swing arm on my bike, and of course tightened fairly snug to keep it from wobbling occasionally.

Heal up! I'm cheering from my end!

:cheers:
  10. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

mine will walk backwards when idling on concrete. if the stand is in the fully extended position, it should walk, but not fall over. I've never had mine fall over due to the auto-retract being auto retracted when iding, but it will walk backwards for days. I always make sure the stand is in the fully extended position by holding my foot behind it & pulling back on the bike before I crank it. If you want to warm it up first, you can park it in the grass before cranking & shouldn't have a problem as long as it is all the way down. I like the auto-retract because even you land hard & it flops, it goes right back up. It is funny though to see my friends try to get off of it & watch them put it down 5 times before they realize they have to put it all the way down, then lean the bike on it. I should record it & post it, but I can't get any of them to ride the TE anymore. They all say it's too violent???? I say yipeeeeeeeee!
  11. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    It WILL fall over if if walks backward on a slope and the front wheel is turned. It will turn the rear upslope (driveway) and fall over to the right and do it quickly. It's best to just put your butt on it when it's running, I can't believe venture4 has let it fall over so many times?
  12. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, it will fall over even without auto-retract given the right conditions. It can walk backwards and if it reaches uneven concrete it'll go. I think a shorter stand might change that, but the piece of carpet idea sounds interesting.
  13. venture4th Husqvarna
    B Class

C'mon, Ioneater, I'm no newbie-been riding for 25 years, with many enduro bikes in that time. In all that time, this is the first I've had that ditches itself off a sidestand at idle. FYI-first time was on a flat surface whilst my back was turned on it (ever so briefly-we're talking less than 5 secs here bud) -second was after starting it at work same day, standing offside to it after it had already munched my leg once-front wheel was straight-third time it didn't hit the ground because I didn't give it the chance to! I'm pretty happy with only having dropped my TE250 once in 2 years..

With all my bikes over the years (15 of them now - including an ex Gaston Rahier RM370 in that mix- geez, that bike was fun..), this is the first bike I've had to watch this closely under idle. All the others, I would have been content to let my kids stand within a metre and a half whilst I chatted to them to say goodbye as I warmed the bike up to go to work. Not this one, under any circumstances..anyway, neutering is now complete, with sidestand bolt modified to eliminate the risk. I've worked in manufacturing environments, and do understand product liability..this needs attention..(first principle in risk management-engineer the problem out in the design phase..). I also have no problem in dealing with the consequences of poor riding (only 1 cracked rib in 25years, and that was on a weird-ass 3 wheeler TriZ250), but in this case I hadn't even got on the bike!

Am still curious to find out if anyone has followed through on fitting a centrestand to what appear to be mounting points on the 08TE610-haven't followed the model enough to know if this was in place for pre '08 variants..they're a godsend when doing tyrechanges and chain maintenance, but a bugger on a sideslope..
  14. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

+ 1 on the center stand question for the TE (SM in my case…)
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

My `07 610 has the mounting points for a center stand, but I was unable to find one available here in the US. Would love to have one for dual-sport rides.

As an FYI, I also have 3 GasGas bikes in my garage and they all had the retracting sidestand issue. Fix it and be done with it, you'll be glad you took the time to do it.

WoodsChick
  16. venture4th Husqvarna
    B Class

Problem now fixed..amazing what losing a 1cm stub of metal can do..

Was talking with my dealer yesterday who had heard of the Husky centrestand, but no announcement made on availability or price. He's looking into it..when I hear something I'll pass it on.

Hi Woodschick- I've had a GG200EC-great little bike, never had the sidestand issue with it though. But it's nice to know its not limited to the 610..
  17. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wouldn't assume the problem is completely gone. Like I said, my bike no longer has the auto-retract and it will walk backwards on concrete. If it's on a slight slope and parked just right, it will walk backwards in a slight circle and can fall if it hits the right angle. I still watch mine very closely.
  18. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Helps to back read on some threads.(Opps well different forum)
    I hacked off the auto retracted stub and park mine against a wall or car bumper to warm up if I must do other things...:)
  19. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Venture4th,

Sorry, I came across a little strong on my last post after re-reading it. I just don't trust mine unless I'm physically touching it. I hope your leg heals quickly. Good point with the young ones being near with the bike being so tippy. There have been many, many posts about the kickstand and its trustworthiness on TT and I used that info to help prevent any of those bad tip overs onto expensive cars or having the case cover get cracked. My problem is keeping it upright while riding, LOL. Cheers
  20. Hoder Husqvarna
    B Class

I must have one smoooooth running 610. I like the auto retract and my bike doesn't go anywhere when it's idleing. I do make it a habit to plant my foot at the base of the stand and pull the bike back to make sure it's fully locked back though.